OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 SM pattern 3-19-2011 This years Hevi-13#7

Started by cannonball, March 19, 2011, 09:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cannonball

I sighted in my new Mueller red dot on my 870 SM today. I forgot to bring my bore snake, so the gun wasn't cleaned between any rounds. I fired four rounds of 2.75 Federal dove load, and five rounds of Winchester Supreme 3.5"#5 lead before I fired the last three rounds of Hevi 3.5"#7 pictured below. Keep in mind the gun wasn't cleaned between shots, and the Hevi rounds were the last ones down range. These Hevi shells came in yesterday via UPS from Cabelas and I purchased two boxes. Lot numbers on both boxes were 300487, I used one shell from each box on the pattern paper, and a shell from the first box on the turkey target.

Remington 870 SM
Hevi 13 3.5"#7 lot 300487 (2011 shells)
Jelly Head .665
Stock barrel (not polished or deep cleaned)
40 yards tape measured (target to gun barrel)
76 degrees, light wind

First pattern - 214  in a 10" circle

Second pattern - 221 in a 10" circle

Last pattern - H.S. Strut turkey target 59 pellets in contact with turkey

I didn't keep any of the 3.5"#5 Winchester Supreme lead patterns, but I will say that there was no comparison between them and the Hevi loads. The patterns didn't look half as good from the Winchester loads. I wish I kept one to show the difference. Please tell me what you think as these are the first Hevi shells I have ever used.

mcgruff1533

Those patterns are pretty good, especially for a dirty barrel.     No matter how you look at it, any bird shot at 40 yards with that choke and load combo is going to be dead.

gophert

Here is mine shot with lot# 300325.  These were purchased Dec 2010.  I got 4 boxes so I'm assuming they are not the new batch.  However a JH .660 will get you a little higher number. 

cannonball

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on March 19, 2011, 09:13:04 PM
Those patterns are pretty good, especially for a dirty barrel.     No matter how you look at it, any bird shot at 40 yards with that choke and load combo is going to be dead.

That's what I was thinking, it looks like a good hunting patttern to me.

shootumindaface

6 numbers out of a 7 shotshell is what I see.. Will they work, ya 100% of the time.. Would I shoot 7s when I could get similar numbers with 6s no..

longspur

cannonball

buck_hunter21

Spill Blood

WyoHunter

No problem with those patterns - dead bird!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

whiskey

Those are killing patterns. I'd be happy with those. I hope to shoot mine with #7's about mid week and I'll let you know how mine does.

archery1

Take a kid hunting

drum817

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 19, 2011, 11:31:46 PM
6 numbers out of a 7 shotshell is what I see.. Will they work, ya 100% of the time.. Would I shoot 7s when I could get similar numbers with 6s no..

That's the EXACT same thing I was thinking Tom.  However...you will have NO problem killing a bird with those numbers.  Best of luck  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

cannonball

I only wish I had some of last years Hevi loads to compare these to. I am still happy of the performance after comparing these to the #5 lead shot.