OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Temperature effect on pattern

Started by 55esox, April 05, 2014, 11:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55esox

Went out this morning to run a few Nitros from a new box I just got in and a little confused. Typically my gun (870 Supermag w/Rhino .660) puts around 260 in a 10" circle, but the new batch only put in on average 175. The temp was mid 40's, and I expected a bit of a drop, but that seemed excessive to me. 

Nothing was really changed in my procedure. Gun was cleaned before shooting, and bore snake after each shot.

Thanks

learn2hide

I've shot three days this spring so far...1st and 3rd day were 47/48 degrees.  2nd day was 58 degrees.  Same loads shot 20-30% better on the warmer day and both cold days I got disappointing total results out of loads I have previously shot much better.  Only one small example but there were no other variables.  One notable result: I was shooting LongBeard XR #5 through a swabbed but not perfectly clean barrel with the same .660 Roberts choke.  152 and 169 in 10" in 48 degrees vs 197 in 10" in 58 degrees.  I'm expecting at least 320 in 10" when it's 85 degrees!  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TrainWreck1:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

WyoHunter

I've always had better results in warmer weather.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

gwa

Here in Pa the temperature can be 25° and frost at first light and 60° by 10 the early part of the season..... in true hunting conditions I can't wait for the perfect temperature that my gun patterns best at to kill a turkey. I have to take the shot when it presents itself.....

Denny

learn2hide

All you can do is measure the effective range of your gun in typical conditions.  Many times when we talk about "poor" results we are many times still shooting a pattern that will kill at 30-40 yards no problem.
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

d.winsor

I wouldn't worry about it, I have patterned my guns in everything from 32 degrees to 75 degrees +.  I use one shell the Winchester supreme HV 3" and 3 1/2" #5's, and a Briley .665 choke, all patterned at 40 yards.  I have hunted turkeys in 32 degrees +, never have I worried about #'s of pellets changing.  I just put the dense part of the pattern on my poa, let the gun and shell and choke take care of everything else.  Sometimes you can read more into turkey hunting than is necessary.  I have never missed a turkey, yet.  Good Luck

learn2hide

hope I'm wrong but those are some famous last words Winsor  :TooFunny:  Best not miss the next one! LOL

d.winsor

I'll let you know next week, going to kentucky, hopefully I will get on to some birds.

learn2hide

DirtNap647

Quote from: gwa on April 06, 2014, 07:30:53 AM
Here in Pa the temperature can be 25° and frost at first light and 60° by 10 the early part of the season..... in true hunting conditions I can't wait for the perfect temperature that my gun patterns best at to kill a turkey. I have to take the shot when it presents itself.....

Denny
know what ya mean