turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

are nitros worth it?

Started by coyotetrpr, March 17, 2012, 10:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotetrpr

I would like to hear from people who have patterned and hunted with nitros and hevishot. Are nitros really worth the extra money in the field and on paper. My friend and I are contemplating trying some, but I would love some input first. I have a very good combo now, but there is a little part of me that wonders if they are like the hand of God on turkeys. Thanks for your time.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

hookedspur

YES I think they are to me . :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

fountain2

Honestly, hevi 13 7s vs the tri-plex loads...which is how we gnerally compare...I will outshoot the nitros, but again that's not really apples to apples.

Where the nitros shine to me are in the woods.  I look at it like this now...anything 250+ in the 10 at 40 and om golden with plenty of error room.  They just hit hard and kill hard.  I have also never killed with the hevi 7s tho..so my comparison is no good here, but I see how the hit targets and have killed loads with nitros and know they hit hard..in both ends.  I have some at home waiting on me to test.   I will get to test 7 vs 7 this time. 

Philippe

I jumped off the Nitro and Hevi bandwagon, i don't believe anyone wanting to take a turkey at 40 yards or less needs these loads. If the hunter wants more distance these may be the shells for them, personally i don think it is worth 5-8 dollars a shell for something i can do with a lead shell at resonable distances.

runngun

To me yes they are worth it!!! I have killed a bunch of turkeys with NITRO'S. They have worked well for me. From 40 to 3 steps deadly!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

philipriley16

great shells and you should get great numbers but at 40 or less they kill a turkey just as dead as lead. i spent that big money on them and when i shot at a turkey and it folded just like with my old federal i relized they werent really worth the extra money

frank1969

Quote from: runngun on March 18, 2012, 04:08:33 AM
To me yes they are worth it!!! I have killed a bunch of turkeys with NITRO'S. They have worked well for me. From 40 to 3 steps deadly!!!
[/qte]                                                                                                                                              3 stepswith nito or hevy is a waist of money to me

tnturkeykiller

Quote from: coyotetrpr on March 17, 2012, 10:20:37 PM
I would like to hear from people who have patterned and hunted with nitros and hevishot. Are nitros really worth the extra money in the field and on paper. My friend and I are contemplating trying some, but I would love some input first. I have a very good combo now, but there is a little part of me that wonders if they are like the hand of God on turkeys. Thanks for your time.
In a word (YES) i started shootin them 15 years ago and never looked back they are expensive but you get what you pay for.

runngun

Frank, you gotta dance with the one who brung you!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

01Foreman400

I've got too much time and money tied up in turkey hunting to worry about a couple of bucks when they are the best you can buy.
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

Jake#5

I use hevi-13's mag blends and im getting about 200 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards shooting a remington 870 with a hevi-shot choke tube. I believe they do just as good as nitro's and they're half the price.

Shellwaster

Nitro shells are more expensive because the quality control from shell to shell is head over hills better than a mass produced shell such as Hevi. I buy them because of their quality, superior patterns (in my guns) their customer service and to support a small business, I just wish they were closer to me do I could drop in and try different loads.

southernfly

Ive shot Nitro's exclusively for several years and am a believer. Pretty much all my friends who tried them are sold as well. I dont really agree with  the complaint about price. They are expensive but after patterning, you only shoot a few each year.

va longbeard

Quote from: Jake#5 on March 18, 2012, 01:22:20 PM
I use hevi-13's mag blends and im getting about 200 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards shooting a remington 870 with a hevi-shot choke tube. I believe they do just as good as nitro's and they're half the price.

The mag blends are good and I have killed birds at long ranges with them.

However, if you want to jump up to 300 pellets in the 10 at 40 and 200 pellets at 50 yards jump on the Nitro train and you will never look back! 

The mag blends will not match the Nitros performance in velocity or in pattern numbers.

With all the money I spent on turkey hunting the cost of 10 of these shells is the cheapest thing I buy every other year for turkey hunting.

sippy cup

Myself no i was killing turkey just as dead with lead as people  do with hevi shot if it wasnt for that guys would rely on their calling instead of shooting 40plus at birds :OGturkeyhead:
beware of longdale legend