turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The disappear'n old single shots thread

Started by Fox Fire, November 24, 2011, 09:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox Fire

Man do I love me a single shot, when I was a kid every houshold had at least one single shot shotgun, Stevens, revelation, savage, & the trusted old Winchester 37.

I found a Stevens .410 the other day & told the gent I would buy it after the holidays, think'n about start'n a collection. :fud:

blue66

I use a h&r with screw in chokes for turkey hunting, I love the gun. 

BigHooks

I still have an old model 37 410 it looks like new...

allaboutshooting

There are lots of old 37s around here and many are still in use as card shooting guns. The Mossgerg  SSi-ONE is a fine "modern" single shot, if you can find one at a reasonable price.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

gob09

SINGLE SHOT IS ALL WE HAD WHEN I WAS A KID COULDNT WAIT TO BUY MY OWN PUMP ACTION GUN

Fox Fire

I was the same way, just had to have a pump, still have my first pump matter of fact, my guess would be the appeal ofa pump had a lot to do with the demise of the single shots.

Like BAS stated thers plenty of teh old 37s around but most are worn out, sometimes a man can find one in good shape but ya better get ready to pull out some rusty bills to pay for it.

Other than H&R does anyone still manufacture a nice look'n single ?

M,Yingling

Still got few singles i take my  m 66 super 12 ga single lever out for rabbits once and a while
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

unclerick

I got an old Stevens model 940A 12 ga, I've had for years, like Wes said that is all we had growing up, some kind of single shot, love them old guns.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

kdog

I also have a H&R Topper deluxe with in screw in chokes and adjustable open sights and absolutely love the gun.You definately know you shot it when you pull the trigger though  :you_rock:

Fox Fire

A friend of mine has a H&R single 10 ga, that monster sounds like dynomite go'n off, I dont even think the lead has to touch the bird it dies from the sound waves.

I have'nt tried the H&R singles yet, lotta people like'm from what I hear, but if they would break down & make'm with a walnut stock insted of the ugly old pallet wood stock.

gobbler74

Quote from: Fox Fire on November 26, 2011, 07:08:39 PM
A friend of mine has a H&R single 10 ga, that monster sounds like dynomite go'n off, I dont even think the lead has to touch the bird it dies from the sound waves.

I have'nt tried the H&R singles yet, lotta people like'm from what I hear, but if they would break down & make'm with a walnut stock insted of the ugly old pallet wood stock.
What are the stocks on those H&R's made of? I took it to be birch or basswood? Never searched into it.  ???
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Fox Fire

I honestly have no idea, it would look better tho if they would build it with walnut or the like, nothin really wrong with it but no exactly eye catch'n.

this be'n said I mite have to try me one, heard sevral good remarks on  how good they shoot from here & another forum

gobbler74

There is an aftermarket pistol grip style made for the h&r I believe. I'm having some memory loss on that but I believe h&r could be a serious contender in the turkey gun world if they'd pay a bit more attention to stocks and sights and maybe even a full coverage dip job again. I can picture an h&r with a synthetic pistol grip, maybe something like a comfortech design like benelli with the forearm of an encore and the the rubberized grip. Dip it in obsession or bottomland. That be a wicked little single that would sell in several gauges.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

TalksToTurkeys

My H&R Topper Deluxe Classic 12 ga. has a walnut stock, ventilated rib, screw in chokes and nickel receiver. It's fer rabbit killin.

The one on the top is an NEF Pardner SB-2 10 ga. It's fer turkey killin.

oatsj

Still Have my mod 37 from my boy hood days,shot a turkey with it year before last . will use it again this up coming season very light to carry.