OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which one?

Started by Turkeyjerky, April 22, 2017, 03:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyjerky

I'm going to get a box after season. I've always used a mouth call but have recently become interested in learning how to run a box. I have narrowed my choices down to spring creek and ss based off recommendations from this forum. My question is which one. I know both make excellent calls so I don't  need that advice. Just honest opinion from someone who has experience with the calls.

BABS9

KentuckyHeadhunter

Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

letinmfly

SS Kwila over Butternut or Shedua over cedar!! 
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

Bowhuntr73

Oh yeah good one! How about bloodwood over butternut?? SS ofcourse

grayfox

TauntoHawk

SS everything out of their shop will call birds, I've got kwila/limba, paduak/mineral poplar, yellowheart/mineral poplar, and purpleheart/butternut

Favorite is the yellowheart they all are excellent and woods worthy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Marc

I own both calls.  I spoke to both call makers before having a call made.

I told Mike at Spring Creek calls, that I wanted a very high pitch call, and that is what he sent me. It is actually a little bit too high-pitched. But it has great volume & rollover, and it clucks and purrs like a jem.  It is one of the easiest calls that I have ever run.

The SS call, goes with me in my vest. It also rolls over great and does great clucks and purrs. For whatever reason it is not a very loud call when trying to yelp or cluck loudly.

The spring creek call is a bit smaller and lighter weight than the SS call.   The Spring Creek call was mailed to my door with in one week of ordering, the SS call took about six weeks. Both call makers were very upfront with me about the time frame of receiving the call.

I would not hesitate to go with you to call maker again.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Ol Yelper

Yep. SS is the way to go. I have a dozen and they are all good. The Kwila/Butternut is great, runs easy. My favorite is a Walnut with Maple paddle and base. Call Al he'll fix you up with a good one.