OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Short box vs. Long box

Started by dlquinn, February 18, 2012, 11:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlquinn

Not many topics on here regarding box calls, so I got a couple of questions for you all.

Besides the obvious difference in size...What's the differences between a short box and long box?

What wood combo do you think sounds the best in either box?
NRA-STAND AND FIGHT

drenalinld

In general long boxes are higher pitched and louder and many use them for locating turkeys. However, high quality long boxes can reproduce the softer stuff very well and can be used to call them to the gun. Short boxes can be extremely versatile and few things sound better in the woods than a short box. Many different opinions on best wood combos. For me a walnut/butternut short box and cedar/poplar long box.

culpeper

There are fairly profound differences IMO.  Often I have witnessed many hunters use a long box in the fall where the kee kee it is noted for is perfect for calling back the flock once broken.  A short box can have a kee kee as well, but typically not as pronounced nor does it have the range of a long box for this feature.  Many sprinmg hunters carry a long box for locating as it is known to generally be a lounder call capable of carrying through the wind and great for bellowing across ridges and down and through hollers.  A long box is wonderful for cutting, cackle fly downs and more ofeten are tuned to have a higher pitch or tone.  The short box has gerat diversity, is easier to carrry and is normally, though it depends on the wood combos used not as loud as a long box.  Purring can be done on both, but IMO and from my experience with customers they find a short box can purr easier with greater eas than a long box.  The yelps are different with a short box having more of and slightly abreviiated break in the yelp and greater range in tone, often a deeper bottom whereqas a long box does break and well but tends to hold a longer and raspier yelp superp for an old nasty hen.  Short boxes are also great for cutting and are also ideal for soft feeding sounds and whiny tree talk if you work carefully with your fingers along the sound rails to soften the sound.  I would say clucks are about equal in both calls, but there again IMO.  Wood combos...well there seems to be a few traditional combos for long boxes, but on a whole the woods are fairly interchangable and depending on the skill of the builder each can and should be tuned as the customer wants and to best fit the birds of the region

savduck

Go on you tube and look up Marlin Watkins. He has a video on longboxes and short boxes. Its unreal.
Georgia Boy

dlquinn

Those Marlin Watkins videos are great...some awesome instruction! Thanks for the feedback and answers so far.  :icon_thumright:
NRA-STAND AND FIGHT

redowl

although i havnt made any for about a year.my long boxes are made to sound like a turkey.i can make um high pitch or low like an old gobbler.i do this by wood choice and sound chamber size and some other tricks. they sound like a short box on steroids.not the run of the mill longbox.im sure their are other builders of long boxes that are doing the same.

shadetree callers

Ahhh.. the old debate over short or long calls ! I prefer a longbox because it is much more versatile than a short call . Like all calls , they both have their place in the woods . But with a properly made longbox you can make a wide range of sounds and tones that you can't get in a short call . First off , a short call cannot kee kee correctly AND still have the proper tone for yelping and cutting . And you generally can only get a couple of hen tones down therails . Whereas a longbox can do it all from kee kees , I try to get 3 hens down the side and end with a gobbler yelp , and of course the gobble on a longbox is superb . The longboxes I make will purr very easy too . So in my opinion , the long calls are my choice. Dont get me wrong though , my vest will have a shortbox , a couple pots , 4-5 strikers and there is always a trumpet around my neck . Good luck this spring !!