turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobbler(s)/Bald Eagle Encounter

Started by Bill, April 01, 2024, 01:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Our season doesn't open for a few weeks but I saw the darndest thing yesterday while taking pictures of some gobblers, and thought this might be of interest. Getting this particular photo was pure luck.

The eagle never made contact, but buzzed right over the top of these three, then lit in a nearby tree on the edge of the field.  What happened next was the crazy part.

Instead of taking cover, these gobblers, in unison, moved towards the eagle—gobbling in that direction as if they were scolding him. Eventually the eagle took off, the toms settled down and everything went back to normal. The whole episode was surreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger

Happy

I saw one take a swipe at some jakes I had called in once. Fortunately he missed.

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Yoder409

Apparently the eagle wasn't hungry and was just playing.   He could have EASILY taken one of those birds out had he wanted to.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

PharmHunter

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 01, 2024, 02:09:39 PM
Apparently the eagle wasn't hungry and was just playing.   He could have EASILY taken one of those birds out had he wanted to.

For sure!  Had a buddy with a similar, crazy scene caught on trail camera with a juvi bald eagle.  Just missed the hen he was after.  It happens no doubt.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Zobo

Really great picture! I had an eagle do the same thing to a hen decoy I was using several years ago
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Bill

Quote from: Zobo on April 01, 2024, 06:20:01 PM
Really great picture! I had an eagle do the same thing to a hen decoy I was using several years ago
Thanks. Did the eagle make contact with your decoy, or just make a close pass like this one did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Great experience. Hope to get pictures like this one day. Turned around to get pictures of an eagal today but by the time I was able to safely turn around he was gone.

Sent from my SM-S136DL using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sanders153

That's awesome. What a rare and special thing it is to be able to witness scenes like that in nature and interactions between different animals. That shot really puts into perspective just how big Bald eagles are as well!

Marc

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 01, 2024, 02:09:39 PM
I agree!

I have seen raptors hunt for fun...  I have also seen them when they are not playing and take game in a spectacular manner.  I do wonder if those birds facing him instead of running did not confuse that eagle though?

Bill, great capture and great post!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

zelmo1

"Nature is a humans best entertainment", a quote from me, lol. Very cool stuff, Z

grayfox

Tnandy

Wow! That is incredible that you got to witness that firsthand. Thx for sharing

FLGobstopper

Pretty cool experience and incredible you got the pics of it. I've experienced a few eagle turkey interactions but the most memorable was with a single gobbler and eagle.

I was hunting off a powerline creek crossing several years ago here in FL and had a gobbler closing the distance down the hill towards the creek. He was still a little out of range when he took off running towards me and then flying with a big bald eagle in pursuit. Last I saw of the gobbler he was flying behind me into the creek bottom where I'm guessing he got lucky and lost the eagle. About 5 minutes later the eagle reappeared and I watched him land in a huge pine tree just up the hill from me. I didn't have anything else going on and just sat there for another 30 minutes or so and the eagle stayed in that tree the whole time. I'm guessing the eagle was probably sitting up there the whole time watching the gobbler work into range and either saw what was about to happen and saved that gobblers life from me, he was tryin to beat me to the punch, or, he was just having some fun with him. I'll never forget that one!