Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

End of the season

Started by turkeykiller22, June 20, 2013, 10:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

Well.... Its finally over....  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Its been a while since I have been on here and I figured I would update yall on my trip I took to Kansas and Nebraska.

To say the least it was UNREAL!! The weather in Kansas was AWFUL. The morning that we drove in to hunt it was snowing!!! Our idea was to drive around the Management area and get a good feel for the place. We had gone about 1 mile into it and there was a gobbler in a field with some hens. One of our buddies got out at the nearest ditch to them and 20 mins later he had a dead longbeard under his foot!! We had planned on spending 4 days in each state hunting. But on the second day in Kansas all had tagged out but one, and he had missed once!! We hung around a third morning and filled his tag quickly!

We decided to head out early for Nebraska, however we could not hunt until monday morning, and it was still saturday before lunch!! We took a detour to Cabelas in Soux City Iowa, after lunch/dinner and headed to Nebraska!

We arrived and go in our hotel. Sunday we picked up our tags first thing, and began scouting. I had never experienced anything in my life like I was about to... Just riding around in the truck we saw over 30 STRUTTERS!!! That was just the longbeards that were strutting. On two different occasions we saw 6 strutters together!!!

We saw some hunters at the hotel and spoke with them. They said the hunting had been tough and they had not killed a bird in the three days they had hunted.... Guess they couldnt turkey hunt to save their life!!

The next morning me and a friend broke daylight at a spot we nick named cougar point. We had walked 40 yds from the truck when a turkey gobbled right on top of us. We had down and within 10 mins there were over 5 birds within 100yds of us! Not to mention we could hear birds everywhere. When we counted the number of birds we came up with 23.

We got a little too aggressive and bumped the birds. One of our buddies had tagged one and had more gobbling so we hopped in the truck and headed his way. We were sitting in the truck glassing and a bird gobbled in the a couple hundred yards below us. Brad and I headed out...

We set up and started purring and scratching the leaves. 20 minutes a birds starts drumming, and here he comes to my left. All I could see was his head and I let the nitro eat him up at 23 yards!!!

That day brad killed his two, and Corey killed his two, I killed one and missed one, and our buddy Cliff  missed one. The next morning I heard over 20 birds again and I was in a totally different spot. Shortly after fly down I found two strutters in a field. I quickly put a cedar tree between me and them and started crawling. Got to the tree looked through and there they were 65 yards. I yelped and one poked his head up. I let the nitros eat again.

I was TAGGED OUT!! Long story short cliff killed one that afternoon, and missed 4 more that day...
In two days we had killed 7 birds plus missed 6 more. It was UNREAL to say the least!

I had my best season yet and I was so blessed to be able to hunt the places I did. I ended up killing 2 in TN, 2 in AL, 3 in MS, 2 in KS, and 2 in NEB!!   

Killing 11 birds in one year was unreal! And I mean UN REALLLLL!!!!! Thank you Lord for the opportunities that you have given me!

I will add picture shortly!!

Foot on DA Head!!
-Drew Able
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

JVA54

You had a awesome year   Congrats!!!
       Can't wait to see the pics.