OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old Federal Premium 3-2-5s

Started by 340_Dart, March 20, 2013, 05:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

340_Dart

Hey all, i was at one of my local gunshops today and noticed he has 2 boxes of the old federal premium 3-2-5s @ 9.95$ a box on an back shelf. They are the blue and gold box with a gobbler on it. I assume pre flite control wad. My question is... Are these worth picking up at $9.95 a box? Do they outshoot newer Turkey thugs and winchester supremes?

budtripp

Definitely pick them up...those were some of the best turkey loads ever made. Only way t know if they'll outpattern the others is to shoot them and see. I'm betting they will do well for you. I'm jealous

imtalkinturkey

Quote from: 340_Dart on March 20, 2013, 05:48:51 PM
Hey all, i was at one of my local gunshops today and noticed he has 2 boxes of the old federal premium 3-2-5s @ 9.95$ a box on an back shelf. They are the blue and gold box with a gobbler on it. I assume pre flite control wad. My question is... Are these worth picking up at $9.95 a box? Do they outshoot newer Turkey thugs and winchester supremes?
Get them those were some great loads I still have two boxes rat holed wish they still made them.

BrowningGuy88

I have paid as much as $18 a box for 3.5's and was glad I got them!

They are great loads and they ain't making no more...

surehuntsalot

you are making me drool :drool: those 5's and the 3" 2oz #7-1/2's were my shells for years when I started turkey hunting. I still have a few of the 5's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WildTigerTrout

I recently found and bought three full boxes of the old Federal Premium 3" 2oz loads of 7 1/2's! I can' wait to try them. 700+ pellets in each shell is amazing! :o
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

340_Dart

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be picking those boxes up next time i'm in the shop.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on March 21, 2013, 07:35:51 AM
I recently found and bought three full boxes of the old Federal Premium 3" 2oz loads of 7 1/2's! I can' wait to try them. 700+ pellets in each shell is amazing! :o

you are gonna love them,trust me
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

reflexl

That was my go to load in my 835 with a .676 Stardot. I have a handful left that I am saving for a special occaision. reflexl

WildTigerTrout

Reflexl and surehuntsalot , I hope you are right. I'm going to try them in my Benelli Super Black Eagle with an old Lohman .650 " Long Shot " choke tube. I may also try them in my Rem. 870 with a Remington .655 " Ventilator " choke tube.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteLohman .650 " Long Shot " choke tube

I have read good things about that choke tube.  I've never seen one though.  It seems like they are more rare than Star Dot chokes are?

Longshanks

Those are awesome shells, I used those for years and killed allot of turkeys with the 3/2/5's and 3/2/6's. still have two boxes of 3/2/7.5's.

GETTREED

What will a stardot / preston pittman for remington 12 ga bring?

3" 870 Shell Shucker

The Star Dot chokes are really only hot-to-trot in the 835/935 model.

In the other models, they may work well with HTL, but not Lead usually. (INV+, for instance)

For some reason, they are one of the best chokes ever made for an 835/935.

340_Dart

Sorry it's been so long since I responded to this post. I ended up lucking out and getting 4 boxes of the 3-2-5s . I haven't shot them yet, as the season comes in tomorrow and the gun is shooting well with the Thugs. I also picked up a jelly head .660 to try in my gun.