turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fed Turkey Thugs vs Old Federals

Started by packmule, March 04, 2013, 09:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packmule

We've seen quite a bit of chatter on here recently about the Fed Turkey Thug shells.  I've always had really good luck with the Old Federal #5s (3 inch, 2 ounce).  I've struggled to find shells that perform as well as those old Feds.  I picked up a box of 3 inch turkey thug shells today (#5s, 1 7/8 oz).  I fired 2 shots through a 835 with a 20" bbl and a SSX choke.  This combo made for some very good hunting patterns, as good or better than the Old Feds (I patterned 1 of those for comparison).  I'll try to get some photos posted in the next few days, busy with work now.  But I'm pretty excited, these new Federal shells may be on par with the old ones which would be a welcome opportunity for many of us!

ericjames

They worked great for me, I am ready to see some pics

packmule

Here's the photos.  The orange turkey targets are for the Thug loads, the grey is the Old Federal loads.  I never really gave the Strut Shok loads much consideration, but maybe I should have.  I'm really happy with these patterns for hunting.  FYI, these are 41 yd patterns at temps around 40 degrees.

appalachianstruttstopper

Looks great. I just wish Federal would put another penny in them and use copper plated shot. Thats the only thing I would change.

packmule

ericjames

Looks Great!! I like the 3.5-2-5's  and 6's out of my 835 with the .670 pure gold, I got 129 in the 10 @ 40 worth the 5's my chair was at 41 I wanted to have a true 40 yard  shot..

alclark2

I got 160+ out of my 835 w IC BDS .675 shooting 3.5" 6s (I think it was 2 oz load). Temp was in the 30s. Best lead for me yet. 
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI got 160+ out of my 835 w IC BDS .675 shooting 3.5" 6s (I think it was 2 oz load). Temp was in the 30s.

That is totally awesome for hot weather, let alone cold weather.  Unbelievably good.

mr perfect

i tried a box and they are pretty good . i am not good enough with my camera to post the pics but they are comparable to the one posted on this page they shoot as good or better then the 20z flight control

surehuntsalot

we are going to see if a 3" #5 turkey thug can knock down one friday morning
3 days and a wake up
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

packmule

Michigander

Crazy to think about you guys hunting already, its still snowing here.  :z-dizzy:

FL-Boss

where you can find Fed Turkey Thug shells?  I search online... I see about 5 different types of Fed.. but nothing that says turkey thug?

Gumby

FL-Boss

anywhere else .. maybe online? Can you post a link?   My Walmart has nothing in the way of ammo.. expect the same 1 box of .410 shells that has been on the self for the last 3 months.