News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

need help picking out first latbe

Started by heathwesley, February 19, 2016, 10:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heathwesley

Hello everyone. 
     I am going to purchase a brand new lathe soon.  Was hoping to get some recommendations here.  Probably going to purchase a jet.  Just not sure on the model. 
Thanks, Heath

Rick Howard

What do you want the lathe to do?  You can make small things on a big lathe but you can't make big things on a small lathe.  So if you have the funds and the space I reccomend a larger lathe. 

Jet makes a good product and is known to have good customer service.  They are arguably the most popular lathes too. 

Once you figure the size requirements you desire it becomes about power, accessories, and convenience.  Variable speed, headstock and tail stock tapers, spindle size all are considerations.  I am sure there is a local turning club in your area.  It would be a good idea head to a meeting and talk to some folks first hand. You might be able to get time on a few lathes before you actually buy one. They also might know where you can pick up a used lathe locally.

heathwesley

I sure appreciate your response.  I would be using it exclusively to turn calls. 

Rick Howard

Well then it sounds like a small jet mini lathe is going to fit you.  At least for the time being.  Rikon makes a good product also.  I would be more than happy with either brand.  I turned on a Rikon VS mini lathe for a few years.

I am not sure how far you have looked into this. Your going to learn quickly that the lathe is only a small part of turning.  Chisels, sharpening, and possibly chucks for holding wood on the lathe are all going to be things to consider also.  I would suggest a 4 jaw chuck.  Penn State Industries is make a very popular chuck called the Barracuda.  I have not used one, but I know of many call makers recommend it.  I suggest buying PSI chisels also.  They are decent chisels that do not break the bank.  Once you are confortable sharping.  Wasting a steel is gonna happen for awhile.  Better do do that on a $80 set of tools as opposed to a single $100 tool.     

catclr

The Mini Jet or one like it will do you well. I use the Penn State Ind. 3 jaw chuck and works great. As for tools I would go with the carbide tools with replaceable cutters. I made my own, or you can buy. Just search around, as you can get them for less than the $100. + price that the woodworking catalogs have them for. This way you always have a sharp cutter, and no need to have the equipment to sharpen the chisels.
I've been doing this for 34 yrs. so contact me if you have questions.

ridgerunner

Delta makes a good lathe..I have a  Delta LA200 and it has served me well.

Mabren2

I have the Jet 1221vs, and I love it. It is my first and only lathe, and I've had it about a year now. I can't offer any experience with other models, but I can tell you it will do anything you want to do for turning calls. Like was mentioned above, you may find yourself wishing you had more size capability if you become addicted to turning like me, but I have turned some 10 inch bowls, and the lathe handled them fine. When I was researching I saw a lot of talk about the electronic variable speed, and I honestly thought it was something that wouldn't matter much to me. Man, am I happy I spent the extra for VS! It is so nice to not have to stop what you are doing to change belts. I also really like the reverse feature, as it helps a lot with dust collection while sanding. I had pretty much decided to buy the Rikon until I found a better deal on the Jet. I think either one would make a perfect callmaker's lathe, the Jet is just a little beefier, and more expensive. The Jet can be had for $680 on sale, and the Rikon is $650 regular, and I've seen it for $550 on sale several times. Don't count out craigslist, as I found my Jet on there new/open box for $450. Good luck!

tackett77

My first lathe was from Harbor Freight.  I loved it and it is rock solid for a pretty reasonable price (around $200).  I have since upgraded to a Nova Comet ii and have had several issues with the control box.

New Yorker

I've been using a jet mini 1040vs for around ten years. I change the bearings every few years. It's perfect for turkey cals.

Cut*N*Run

Variable speed is a must for me. I change speed between different grits of sandpaper, let alone the different chisels. I'd rather a cheaper lathe with a speed dial than a more expensive lathe that you need to switch the belt on. 

pappy

me........it would depend on how far you are willing to go into the world of call making, do not make the mistake of buying just to turn duck calls...or small stuff, because like me you will branch out even if it is just for you and personal friends, think farther then that, what about turning larger pots? you will nee a lathe that will have the umph to turn a larger chuck....I use two lathes, my Rikon I have had for nearly 8 year, replaced one belt, I use it to turn between centers, like strikers and tubes and trumpets and such. I use my NovaDVR3000 for the pots and bigger stuff, Rikon has come out with a heavier motor this past year and better torque in the low end rpm cycles.....but Jet has good weight and balance, i still say it is what you intend on turning in the future...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

MattinIdaho

Quote from: tackett77 on March 01, 2016, 09:21:30 AM
My first lathe was from Harbor Freight.  I loved it and it is rock solid for a pretty reasonable price (around $200).  I have since upgraded to a Nova Comet ii and have had several issues with the control box.

I've read very good reviews about this lathe. And especially just for a lathe to get your feet wet with. I'm considering trying one of these using the 20% coupons you can find for HF.

Brad_23

I bought a harbor freight about 2 months ago not knowing if it was something I really wanted to do in the long run.. Since buying it I have put several hrs on it and have had no problems with it.. If I were starting out again I would buy it again..