turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 Gauge WLB Turkey Loads - A First Look

Started by allaboutshooting, January 20, 2017, 10:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

So many of us have wondered how the new 20 Gauge WLB Turkey Loads would pattern. It's been a rather crazy time and the weather has not cooperated but I was able to find a very brief window of time to shoot. While the evaluation is in no way complete, it does give us some insight into this new shell.

Here's a link to my results http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/20-gauge-wlb-turkey-loads-a-first-look

I hope you find the information helpful. I will complete this work as soon as possible and publish those results as well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

jakesdad

Thanks for the info Clark. Is there anyway when you do some more testing that you could shoot some 20 and 30 yd patterns to see how they do at the closer ranges?

I tried the LBs in the 12 but up close they were very tight,too much for my liking anyway.I have considered trying these (in the 20) with a standard full choke to see what I might get.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Swampchickin234

Thanks mr Clark, very interesting indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampchickin234

Interested to see also what jakes dad mentioned. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allaboutshooting

I apologize for such a limited evaluation. I really wanted to see how these shells patterned, so I took a chance and was able to squeeze in 3 shots. It may be a while before I'm able to get back and put more shells down range. I have a few more #6s and some #5s, so we can see how they perform.

Looking at my results, it's easy to see that the first 2 shots were much better than the 3rd. That may tell me that with that gun and that choke, cleaning between each shot or after every 2 shots, would be beneficial. I'd need to shoot a few more strings to be sure but I'll keep an eye on that.

As far as 20 & 30 yard shots, I suspect that they'd be exceptionally tight. The 40 yard patterns were very dense. I believe these shells are designed, like the 12 gauge shells, to be "long range". At some point, I will experiment with them to be sure however.

I'll post a link as soon as I have more results to show you.

Thanks,
Clark

chatterbox

Interesting results, Clark!

Those are strong numbers, especially for number 6 shot in. 20 gauge!
I would imagine they're gonna sell quite well!
I'm interested in your results with the SSX choke.

wvmntnhick

Thanks for the heads up Clark. Good information to have walking in to a new gun/setup.

nickp

Clark, I have a question on the "killing power" of this load in 6's.  At 1,000 fps, does the saying of dense pattern still ring true at the longer distances?  We know that the 12 gauge 6's at 1200 fps can do it at the longer ranges, but lets say at the the longer range you had 100 6's out of the 12 and 100 6's out of that 20 load in a pie plate.  Would those 20 gauge 6's still kill like the 12 gauge 6's would, with 200 fps less?  I think that this is the main concern facing this load.  1.25 oz of 5's leaves lower numbers, but 6's is enough for those misjudged shots with the way the patterns hold up.  It seems to be a matter now of with that lower velocity, will they still do the same kind of damage as the big brother?  I have noticed that you mentioned something along the lines of the retained speed at longer ranges being the same or more than the faster loads, is that correct?  If so, then this should be a great little load as the "killing power" would seem to be the same. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: nickp on January 30, 2017, 12:36:17 PM
Clark, I have a question on the "killing power" of this load in 6's.  At 1,000 fps, does the saying of dense pattern still ring true at the longer distances?  We know that the 12 gauge 6's at 1200 fps can do it at the longer ranges, but lets say at the the longer range you had 100 6's out of the 12 and 100 6's out of that 20 load in a pie plate.  Would those 20 gauge 6's still kill like the 12 gauge 6's would, with 200 fps less?  I think that this is the main concern facing this load.  1.25 oz of 5's leaves lower numbers, but 6's is enough for those misjudged shots with the way the patterns hold up.  It seems to be a matter now of with that lower velocity, will they still do the same kind of damage as the big brother?  I have noticed that you mentioned something along the lines of the retained speed at longer ranges being the same or more than the faster loads, is that correct?  If so, then this should be a great little load as the "killing power" would seem to be the same.
Very good questions and observations. At 40 yards, round pellets launched at 1200 fps and 1000 fps will have just about the same terminal speed and the same terminal energy. The more quickly a sphere is launched, the more quickly it slows. The only difference in a typical 12 gauge turkey load and a typical 20 gauge turkey load is the number of pellets in the shot charge. The "killing power" per pellet is the same.

Thanks,
Clark

nickp

That's awesome.  I think that is what will throw people the most about it, the 1,000 fps.  Until you posted that the other day, I would have never known.  Thanks for that.

Bowguy

Quote from: allaboutshooting on January 30, 2017, 05:16:57 PM
Quote from: nickp on January 30, 2017, 12:36:17 PM
Very good questions and observations. At 40 yards, round pellets launched at 1200 fps and 1000 fps will have just about the same terminal speed and the same terminal energy. The more quickly a sphere is launched, the more quickly it slows. The only difference in a typical 12 gauge turkey load and a typical 20 gauge turkey load is the number of pellets in the shot charge. The "killing power" per pellet is the same.

Thanks,
Clark
Clark, you always seem to have good info. Not saying this isn't. But the faster a sphere is launched thing isn't making sense to me. Say you have a base ball. Throw it 20 miles an hour, another thrown 90 miles an hour. The 90 mile an hour ball is sure to go farther, hit harder. It might shed velocity percentage wise, I'm still not sure why but I'm keeping an open mind since your posts are usually spot on. Just can't see how 200 feet per second more could slow down n wait up for slower spheres.
Btw I'm not a fan of extreme speed, just trying to get what you're saying

allaboutshooting

QuoteClark, you always seem to have good info. Not saying this isn't. But the faster a sphere is launched thing isn't making sense to me. Say you have a base ball. Throw it 20 miles an hour, another thrown 90 miles an hour. The 90 mile an hour ball is sure to go farther, hit harder. It might shed velocity percentage wise, I'm still not sure why but I'm keeping an open mind since your posts are usually spot on. Just can't see how 200 feet per second more could slow down n wait up for slower spheres.
Btw I'm not a fan of extreme speed, just trying to get what you're saying

It's all a matter of physics. "Atmospheric drag" slows the sphere that is launched at the faster speed more than the sphere that is launched at the slower speed.
You can do some research on it but here's an article that discusses it in part https://books.google.com/books?id=UjkXVB9c9DgC&pg=PA108&lpg=PA108&dq=The+faster+a+sphere+is+launched+the+faster+it+slows&source=bl&ots=VMOq_0zX06&sig=SXqM4q78vA1zMVIbmRS9GiimgtA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiM0funivLRAhUF1CYKHc3TCd8Q6AEIIDAB#v=onepage&q=The%20faster%20a%20sphere%20is%20launched%20the%20faster%20it%20slows&f=false

Thanks,
Clark

drenalinld

To add to that "physics" question does staying under the speed of sound make shotgun loads more consistent?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Quote from: drenalinld on February 02, 2017, 04:50:42 PM
To add to that "physics" question does staying under the speed of sound make shotgun loads more consistent?

I'll jump on this one. The simple answer is yes. It's much like a pellet fired from an airgun. Once it breaks the sound barrier, the "pocket" of air that it's trying to move out from in front of it starts to catch on the skirt and move the pellet in an awkward way. It's similar with lead shot even though they lack the skirt. The same can be said for bullets fired from a rifle. Rarely does the fastest, hottest load produce the best accuracy results and rarely does a flat base bullet outperform a boattail bullet of the same weight, diameter and speed. Not that it can't happen but breaking the sound barrier does some strange things to the flight of projectiles. Look at rimfire ammo. Most, not all, 22 rifles will shoot a subsonic or standard velocity round better than a high velocity round.

drenalinld

I knew this about pellet rifles and 22 lr's just never seen anything addressed on shotgun patterns. The weird stuff occurs when slowing from above to below the speed of sound. Starting just under like 1,000 fps eliminates this.

However, if shotgun pellets launched at 1,200 fps were going the same speed as shotgun pellets launched at 1,000 fps when they reach 40 yards, why do manufacturers continue to push the pressure/speed envelope. This does not add up.