OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal Heavyweight in a blend????

Started by BINK McCARTY, April 27, 2016, 01:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BINK McCARTY

What do ya'll think about Fed. HW loaded in a blend of #5,7,& 8 shot???? 3.5"/2 1/8 oz./ 5,7,& 8 shot????? Oh,and NO FCW!!!! Just thinkin' out loud!!!!!

Zoiezeus

Last years bird i dumped  at 52 paces with Federals 3rd degree, i didnt have a whole lot of time to pattern it, but i was pretty impressed

Zoiezeus

I go by paces not yards, because its rare that I carry a tape measure in the woods.

BowBendr

Absolutely zero need for size 5 shot when using the 15 gm/cc stuff, just wasting valuable hull space...
I would be interested in a 7/8 blend however !

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

owlhoot

Quote from: BowBendr on April 27, 2016, 07:15:10 PM
Absolutely zero need for size 5 shot when using the 15 gm/cc stuff, just wasting valuable hull space...
I would be interested in a 7/8 blend however !

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions
5 shot Hw is a waste, except for the wild hog you may have to deal with  ;)for turkey 7-8 would be nice

decoykrvr

6/7/8 Heavyweight blend, but Federal will never drop the damn Flitecontrol  wad.  Too much has been spent by Federal and too many careers ,at same, are vested in the FCW.  Hell, what do we know, we're just a bunch of toothless, shoeless dumb turkey hunters who need to fall in line and drink the "Federal FCW Kool-Aid".  I've invested a lot of time and money trying to get the 3", 12 gau.ge FCW Heavyweight shell to perform better than the Hevi-13, but am sold on both the 20 gauge and 10 gauge offerings.

Farmboy27

Quote from: decoykrvr on April 27, 2016, 07:40:07 PM
6/7/8 Heavyweight blend, but Federal will never drop the damn Flitecontrol  wad.  Too much has been spent by Federal and too many careers ,at same, are vested in the FCW.  Hell, what do we know, we're just a bunch of toothless, shoeless dumb turkey hunters who need to fall in line and drink the "Federal FCW Kool-Aid".  I've invested a lot of time and money trying to get the 3", 12 gau.ge FCW Heavyweight shell to perform better than the Hevi-13, but am sold on both the 20 gauge and 10 gauge offerings.

I think it really boils down to what they consider the average hunter. And the guys on this forum ain't it!  The average guy sees the ads, buys the shell, and hunts. Many don't ever pattern a shell. They kill a turkey with the shell so it must be good. They can sell the flight control wad (or they would have dropped it by now) so why change. As long as a company is selling a product they are reluctant to change it. I am a die hard turkey hunter but I'm not a number chaser. I feel that the federals pattern plenty good in my guns for 40 yard shots. Remember, the majority of turkey hunters are not number chasers. They want to kill a turkey and federals will easily do that in most cases.

obro

I'd be happy if the bumped up the payload in the 3.5s to a least 2 oz . Heck they have a 1.5 oz 20 gauge load and only 1 7/8 oz load in a 3.5 12 gauge . I'm not sure if its pressure or what . I used the 12 gauge load for several years till it seemed like the load changed after buying a few new boxes . I really liked it till that happened . I could do without the flight control wad too but my original ammo I was pretty good stuff . The only power we have  as a consumer is to not buy it till they change it . It's disappointing because it has a lot of potential .

owlhoot

Well I guess a lot of people like it . It sure goes off  the shelves fast . Around 150 in the 10" is what I get with a few combos . Those HW 7's sure pack a punch. Never had to do the turkey chase rodeo since using the load. Will say the 20 gauge is easier to work with with a bit softer FC wad.
Would agree a heavier load in 12 gauge would be nice .

foxred1962

Obro that is my question exactly... How could Activ have had a 3" 2 1/4 oz load 20+ years ago with all of the advances we have had? If federal did that in #6 heavy and didn't use the flite control wad and got it around 1100 like the 20 they would own the heavy market IMO. I say 6 because that is all the NWTF allows in their shoots...

Longshanks

The Fed HW 7's are awesome in 20 gauge 3" and 12 gauge 3". Would love to see 3/2/7's and 3/2/8's with the Federal HW shells and no FCW. They produce enough shells with the FCW that it wouldn't effect the company as a whole to put out a couple of loads without the FCW. When 7's came out people thought they wouldn't be sufficient for turkeys. I bought boxes of 10 for 12.99 because they sat on the shelf for awhile. Look at the price of them now. If you have shot turkeys with the Fed HW 7's and seen what they will do then 8's in my mind would be devastating on the turkey.

BandedSpur

No need for anything larger than 7 in HW. A 7 x 8 would be great; straight 8s would be even better.

Gooserbat

Straight 8s.  I would love straight #8 in HW especially in my 20 gauge.

I've killed several birds with hw#7 and its the closest thing to tss in a factory shell.  Find a choke that works with the flight control piece of junk wad and kill you some. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Izzyjoe

I just wish the 12ga load would work as good as the 20ga load!

Gooserbat

Quote from: Izzyjoe on April 30, 2016, 10:12:46 PM
I just wish the 12ga load would work as good as the 20ga load!

I can get 190+ with 3.5" #7
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.