turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Deep Cleaning or Polishing

Started by Cutt, March 16, 2016, 04:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Juice

I just deep cleaned my SX2 and need to get to the range to determine if there is an improvement in my patterning .... I hope

taylorjones20

On a turkey only gun, polishing could probably be done one time. Most of the time once you initially polish and get the imperfections from the factory out of your barrel, a deep clean is enough to keep it shooting good.

I know there was a few guys that polished theirs about every three years or so.  I cannot say for sure if that is necessary but I don't think it would be.

Since you have polished yours a year ago. I think a good deep clean with a quality solvent is sufficient.

I don't think anyone polishes their barrel every time they deep clean it.

Alive only by the Grace Of God

Cutt

Quote from: taylorjones20 on March 17, 2016, 02:16:26 PM
On a turkey only gun, polishing could probably be done one time. Most of the time once you initially polish and get the imperfections from the factory out of your barrel, a deep clean is enough to keep it shooting good.

Yes, that was my thinking. As when my gun was new it had fine machine marks, I polished until gone. So my thinking is it should never need polished agian, if deep cleaned enough?

Like I said, I could be reading wrong, but seems like I read here where many polish all the time? Or some lump both procedures together to be done all the time? If so, I just can't see polishing a barrel all the time, once the imperfections are gone, no more need to polish other than a periodically touch up years later if needed? It just sounds like many polish all the time, where I would be concerned with more harm than good in the long run? Thanks

Philippe

Quote from: Cutt on March 17, 2016, 03:50:51 PM
Quote from: taylorjones20 on March 17, 2016, 02:16:26 PM

Yes, that was my thinking. As when my gun was new it had fine machine marks, I polished until gone. So my thinking is it should never need polished agian, if deep cleaned enough?

Like I said, I could be reading wrong, but seems like I read here where many polish all the time? Or some lump both procedures together to be done all the time? If so, I just can't see polishing a barrel all the time, once the imperfections are gone, no more need to polish other than a periodically touch up years later if needed? It just sounds like many polish all the time, where I would be concerned with more harm than good in the long run? Thanks

Basically, all you need to do is the initial deep clean and a polish. After that if done correctly cleaning the gun is a breeze, and may need a touch up polish if you shoot a ton. Personally I have not re polished a gun unless I see patterns going down hill.