OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 11-87 SP

Started by Borden811, May 18, 2015, 10:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

I have basically no need for another shotgun. That being said, I've been toying with the idea of grabbing a short barreled scattergun, and turning it into a turkey slayer. I recently ran across an 11-87 sp chambered for 3" shells, with a 21" barrel for a decent price. Any of you guys have experience with these guns? Anyone run a short barreled Remington for turkey? What kind of patterns are you getting with them. I mainly shoot benellis, but I'm considering this as a project. I plan on adding a pistol grip stock, turkey choke, some sort of sights(irons, red dot, scope, etc) and camo finish.

wolverines

I have hunted with a 21" 3" 11-87 for the last 15 years.  It is a pleasure to tote and I love the 21" barrel for manuvering through the woods.  I have shot and had many positive results with multiple set ups.  I have a 28" barrel for this rig and it does put up better numbers than the 21 but only slightly better.  If you are shooting turkeys at distances that ethical hunters should you will never miss the few extra pellets you would gain with a longer barrel. I have put up good #s with remington nitro #5s and factory rem super full.  Great hunting pattern with tru lock and Fed hw7.  I have been hunting recently with a primos jelly head .665 and Hevi 13 #7 and nitro company 4x5x7.  The only load I have not put up great #s with are mag blends.

Ridge Rooster

I have one I have used since Remington introduced them. I have tried many chokes and shells over the years but the Rhino/Nitro combo has been by far the best. I also do get great groups with Mag Blends out of the Rhino .660

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Dr Juice

I have one from the early 90s and it actually patterns better than the 26" barrel on my Win SX2. My 11-87's barrel is actually 23" and you can see it in my profile pic. Enjoy and good luck.

Borden811

Anyone else shooting one of these shorties? I think I'm going to snag it if it's still available this weekend. Deciding on a choke will be the next hurdle. So many choices.......

remmy1187

I have a Sportsman model that I put a 21" barrel on.  It shoots really good with Hevi-shot and Indian Creek .665   I also added a shur-shot stock and a red dot.  I do  like the short barrel better than the 28" barrel that came with it, and for me the short barrel shot just as good as the longer barrel.  I really love this gun and it is just about a perfect turkey set-up.

harleytom

I have that gun w/ a 24" barrel. I put a Shurshot grip on it and w/ my Eotech 512 it consistently puts up 280 counts with Nitros and a Rhino choke. I also have an 870 sm with the same configuration except for a 21" barrel. It shoots great throwing around 230-240 counts consistently. Frankly, I've been wanting to get a new gun recently but don't expect I'll find anything that will pattern any better than my 1187, just want a new toy I guess.

BandedSpur

Not a shorty, but I used to hunt with a 26" barreled 1187. Tried a lot of different tubes. It shoots good but not great patterns with a wide variety of ammo. Shoots great with 2 oz loads of TSS. Only complaint: it's a boat anchor. Mine weighs 8.75 lbs with a sling and FF II on board. Helps with recoil, but a load to carry up and down our NC mountains, now that I'm over 50. It's a safe queen now, but a great back up gun. Love carrying my 6.75lb O/U.

But if you can get a good deal on it, grab it up. It'll be a fun project. Polishing the barrel will likely help it. I'm sure you can get it to pattern just fine with a little experimentation.

Fullfan

Son you better buy it, or I'm going to. That is a good price, Just have it dipped...
Don't gobble at me...

Neill_Prater

I've had one for close to 25 years. Shot a slug barrel for several years, then bought a cantilevered slug barrel so as to facilitate mounting a red dot. Shot well with Winchester HV's, the Winchester Xtended's, until they quit making them, and now, Longbeards with a Carlson's Longbeard choke. Numbers are around 150-160 in the 10 with #5's. Magblends actually gave a bit higher numbers with the same choke, and a bit more forgiving, less center-dense pattern.

Buy it, pick up a Steadygrip forearm/stock for $90 and you will love the gun. No need for dipping unless you just want to spend the money. Turkeys don't seem to mind a black barrel and receiver at all.  :)

K9Doc

I have an 3" 870 with 21" barrel.
With factory Extra Full it shoots
The New Win LB #6's awesome. Putting
Up 215 avg in 10" circle at 40 yards.
I mainly load TSS 9's and it out patterns
My SBE2 at 40. Putting up over 300/300 in
10"/20" circles.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Borden811

Well that didn't pan out. The seller and I agreed to a deal. He then sold it to another fellow the morning of the day I was supposed to pick it up. Said the other guy offered to pay $25 more than what we had agreed upon, and he could pick it up a couple hours earlier. Guess a guys word doesn't count for much these days. Oh well, the search continues for a short barreled turkey getter!

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: Borden811 on May 26, 2015, 04:05:20 PM
Well that didn't pan it. The seller and I agreed to a deal. He then sold it to another fellow the morning of the day I was supposed to pick it up. Said the other guy offered to pay $25 more than what we had agreed upon, and he could pick it up a couple hours earlier. Guess a guys word doesn't count for much these days. Oh well, the search continues for a short barreled turkey getter!
Good luck Borden!

I hunted for 5 years or more for what I wanted and found 3 within a week.

The guns and deals are out there. You just have to search! Well and put up a searching for post on a couple forums...

Scout24

I have 19 yr old 1187 bought new with a 21" barrel that I had drilled and tapped for a JanMar (I believe) mount with a red dot. Believe they are out of NY but Brownell's used to sell them. Every now and then I get a hankering for a new one but mine shoots so well and has been the ruination of 5 or so dozen longbeards, which breeds confidence, out to ranges I can't speak of, that I'll never sell it. Right now I get 240-255 in 10" at 40 with LB's, 2 ounces of 6's with a Hevi-Shot choke. Trigger job helped her out a lot, but don't worry about the shorter barrel.