OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New England Pardner turkey gun-single shot-12 gauge

Started by Hooks' n' Beards', January 24, 2014, 05:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightrider

I had one and I got tired of the throbbing bruised check bones!!!! :turkey2:

Hooks' n' Beards'

Quote from: knightrider on January 26, 2014, 12:22:28 PM
i shot a 10 gauge bps for a few years goose hunting and turkey hunting,the recoil doesn't bother me all that much,also i only plan on using it on the odd turkey hunt so i am willing to take the recoil.I plan on adding a nice recoil pad to it as well.

knightrider

Quote from: Hooks' n' Beards' on January 26, 2014, 12:42:24 PM
i shot a 10 gauge bps for a few years goose hunting and turkey hunting,the recoil doesn't bother me all that much,also i only plan on using it on the odd turkey hunt so i am willing to take the recoil.I plan on adding a nice recoil pad to it as well.
it wasn't the recoil, it was the jumping up and smacking my face, the stock was made horrible on that thing ;D

Hooks' n' Beards'

Quote from: knightrider on January 26, 2014, 01:08:13 PM
Quote from: Hooks' n' Beards' on January 26, 2014, 12:42:24 PM
it wasn't the recoil, it was the jumping up and smacking my face, the stock was made horrible on that thing ;D
i think i will survive... ;D   

wvcurlytop

I carried one for a few years-and killed several turkeys with it.  It patterned great and really walloped them.  Light, easy to carry and didn't cost an arm and a leg.  But as some have stated in other posts, it was brutal to shoot with turkey loads.  I have since quit using it and pull it out for a gag on fellow turkey hunters come spring patterning time.  LOL.  I haven't forgotten the feeling when that gobbler walks within range, knowing I had to pull the trigger on the thing.  Aim-grit your teeth-and squeeze!!  I can't lie, It was awful!!!!! 
My personal opinion, if you can't afford anything else it is fine, but otherwise I wouldn't recommend buying one.  JMO

Hooks' n' Beards'

Quote from: wvcurlytop on January 26, 2014, 01:38:32 PM
I carried one for a few years-and killed several turkeys with it.  It patterned great and really walloped them.  Light, easy to carry and didn't cost an arm and a leg.  But as some have stated in other posts, it was brutal to shoot with turkey loads.  I have since quit using it and pull it out for a gag on fellow turkey hunters come spring patterning time.  LOL.  I haven't forgotten the feeling when that gobbler walks within range, knowing I had to pull the trigger on the thing.  Aim-grit your teeth-and squeeze!!  I can't lie, It was awful!!!!! 
My personal opinion, if you can't afford anything else it is fine, but otherwise I wouldn't recommend buying one.  JMO
i want  one because i have always wanted a single shot pardner for turkey hunting,right now i am running a Browning bps 3.5",2-Winchester 1300,Winchester Sxp 3.5" -Turkey gun and a Tc Encore muzzleloading shotgun.it really isn't about money at all,i am wanting to try a different gun on turkeys,i have 5 others already to hunt with,but i don't have a break open single shot from Nef..basically i want a diiferent type of turkey gun that i don't already own..thought about a new pump but there is nothing i really want to add this year...

Hooks' n' Beards'

i'm also going to be adding a 20 ga semi to my collection later in march, i'm basically looking for a gun to tinker with a bit and maybe do a custom camo job whether it's by spray paint or camo skins.I would rather a 12 ga single shot but i like the idea of screw in chokes for the 10 ga as it comes with a sling,decent choke,it already has camo stock and forend on it...something to keep me busy the next few months...for the guys who have owned or shot the 10 ga,which shells did you run through it?i still have a few boxes from my old browning 10 ga.Remington #4's Copper plated premier magnums that i will be using up.I am considering picking up a custom choke for it as well

gwa

I was invited up to New York last spring to hunt with a friend of mine and he let me use his NEF 10 gauge. I never felt the recoil when I touched off the trigger.
If you have good shooting form, you will survive. If you get anxiety before you squeeze the trigger, it is going to smack you.
An interesting note about getting ready to shoot, you have to cock the hammer, not just push a safety. All in all, a great gun.

Denny

Hooks' n' Beards'

Quote from: gwa on January 26, 2014, 02:04:23 PM
I was invited up to New York last spring to hunt with a friend of mine and he let me use his NEF 10 gauge. I never felt the recoil when I touched off the trigger.
If you have good shooting form, you will survive. If you get anxiety before you squeeze the trigger, it is going to smack you.
An interesting note about getting ready to shoot, you have to cock the hammer, not just push a safety. All in all, a great gun.

Denny
That's great to hear,i am not one to get anxiety before i shoot.It's going to be a gun that i want to tinker with a bit here before spring and get set up the way i like it...Thanks...

Hooks' n' Beards'

i located them locally,both the 10 ga and 12 ga turkey gun,i'm going next tuesday to buy one or the other..only place around and they are $30.00 cheaper then buying online and saves me the $50.00 for shipping i was going to be charged....i'm happy,happy,happy............... ;D

Hooks' n' Beards'

after some great advice from a great member on here..i will be picking up the 12 ga single shot turkey model early next week...

Hooks' n' Beards'

so apparently..our emails back and forth have got so mixed up that,the 12 gauge he has in stock is not the one i want,it has a longer barrel,however he does have the 10 gauge 24" barrel with screw in chokes and camo stock and forend..so,i put that one on layaway until i can get there early next week.I have checked everywhere around here and this is the Only one around and it's a decent price...so i am going for the 10 gauge..i plan on putting a aftermarket choke on it,limbsaver recoil pad and cheek piece on the stock to add a tad more comfort.I finally got things worked out when i called the shop to put the gun on layaway...just miscommunication on both sides....i am happy and set with this gun..hopefully i can put a big tom down with it..I am probably going to go with a Carlson choke as i can get them locally but i want to try others as well.Who makes a nice 10 ga aftermarket choke-this gun takes invector chokes...

mnbeardbuster

Here's a pair off my 12's both are 3" with vent rib barrels that I sent to Remington to have installed.  They weigh next to nothing to carry and I've learned to be patient with my shots. As many have said sighting them in is no fun but using trap rounds first and a shooting pad does help.  Don't feel it when pulling the trigger on a big tom. 

Hooks' n' Beards'

Quote from: mnbeardbuster on January 27, 2014, 06:29:37 PM
Here's a pair off my 12's both are 3" with vent rib barrels that I sent to Remington to have installed.  They weigh next to nothing to carry and I've learned to be patient with my shots. As many have said sighting them in is no fun but using trap rounds first and a shooting pad does help.  Don't feel it when pulling the trigger on a big tom.
nice looking guns...i am debating on putting a reflex sight on this gun or putting fiber optics on it..i prefer fiber optic sights but recently added a reflex sight to my winchester 1300 and really like it...

Hooks' n' Beards'

so i stopped by the shop today,shouldered 5 different guns and i put a deposit down on a 20 Gauge pump,it should be in in 2 weeks.For the price,i couldn't pass it up and i think it comes in handier for grouse hunting as well in the end.Single shots were nice but in the end the pump won me over...again...