OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How about a new bolt action turkey gun?????

Started by Mike Honcho, May 09, 2012, 09:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

Quote from: davisd9 on May 09, 2012, 02:20:34 PM
This looks like my dad's except his does not have the muzzle break at the end of the barrel.

I have of those old Marlin Goose Guns. It's about as simple a gun as can be made. Very light for a 3" gun as well.

The barrels on those guns are also very thin. Mine has full choke and probably a 32" barrel but I've seen them modified with both Poly-Chokes and Cutts Compensator choke systems.

I'm not sure how those guns would hold up with modern 3" turkey loads.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Mike Honcho

Thanks for the info Clark...there is also the old Marlin Super Goose 10 bolt gun.   I own a BPS 10ga. so don't see need to sink any money into one of those for a project! 

I remember as a kid dad had an old Mossberg bolt action that he'd lost the bolt out of. 

He gave it to me to play with....we installed a Johnny Eagle M-14  magazine (toy M-14  from back when if anyone remembers them) and that was our "BAR" when we played army (out in the country on our farm).

allaboutshooting

You're welcome. I've often thought of doing something with that old goose gun but just have not done anything with it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Michigander

I think they should make the 220 with a smooth barrel. I have one with the slug barrel and love it. I made a wooden stock for it, I'd love to have a matching one to turkey hunt with.

ILIKEHEVI-13

A guy I used to know had a Marlin 10GA goose gun.  We patterned it one day on cardboard due to him knocking down some birds only to have them get up and take off.   Needless to say I wasn't impressed at all. 

runngun

I have a 12 gauge bolt action 3 inch with a fixed full and it will flat shoot Federal Heavyweight #5s. Just like with any other gun you have GOT to find the RIGHT SHELL!!!
BTW this gun was my grandfather's that he deer hunted with, shooting slugs. The gun had not been shot since 1977 until I got a hold of it and kilt two turkeys with it 3 years ago
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.