OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WIn. Ext. Range vs. Hevi-13.........Opinions?

Started by Punisher, April 11, 2012, 09:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Punisher

I have shot the 3" Win. Ext. Range #6s since they came out in a Kicks choke.  The other day I came across a Win. 1300 synthetic turkey and just had to have it. :)  I bought an Indian Creek .660 and put in it.  I ran some Hevi 3/2/6 and Ext. Range 3/1.75/6 through it.  The Hevi probably slightly edge the Ext. Range out when it comes to the 10" but the Ext. Range was nothing to sneeze at.  I have never used Hevi to turkey hunt but have killed a load of turkeys with the Winnies.  I don't know about the rest of you but around here I can find a box of Ext. Range fairly easily but I have to order the Hevis.  My question is which one would you guys pick between the two and the reasons why?  Thanks.

msgobblergetter

If the h13's were loaded from the factory as consistently year after year and available with the same velocity packed into the XR's it would be a perfect world.  There is no doubt they will both kill turkeys, but If had a gun that would pattern the XR's as good or close to the h13's, I would pick the XR's for sure.

Clif Owen

Hmmm...my best answer was twice as many for about the same price.... But then again; I have never tried the Winchesters

WildSpur

IMO I would not buy anymore Winchesters is your gun is shooting the H13 as good or better.  The Winchesters are good shells but even bad H13's are better IMO.  My experience is with both loads in the #6 shot.  The Winchester has consistent pellet sizes.  The H13 will throw up better #'s as well as bigger holes in the paper compared to the Winnies.

Cluck more, yelp less

Swamprunner

I have done a LOT of real world field testing this year (shooting turkeys). The XR 6's are the most deadly factory loads on the market. No debate

stinkpickle

Quote from: Swamprunner on April 12, 2012, 08:18:36 AM
I have done a LOT of real world field testing this year (shooting turkeys). The XR 6's are the most deadly factory loads on the market. No debate

Well now...I guess that settles that.   :laugh:

870supermagnum

I haven't shot the Hevi 13s, but I started out shooting the original Remington Hevi Shot shells a few years back.  Remington stop making "Hevi Shot" shells and started making High Density shells (not the same as Hevi Shot). At that point I switched to Winchester Supreme Elite Extended Range shells in 3.5" #6.  I killed two nice gobblers this year at 35 yrds and they both were jelly heads.

I will probably give the Hevi 13 3.5" #7s a try at some point, but I can't comment on them now.

FANMAN

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 12, 2012, 10:59:59 AM

:emoticon-animal-005: Cause I said so.

goblr77

:bike2:

chatterbox

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 12, 2012, 10:59:59 AM

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Punisher

Well fellows my mind has been made up.  Once I use the Hevi I have left I'm sticking to the XRs.  Not one store within a 50 mile radius has 3/2/6 or 3/2/Mag Blend. :angry9:  I can find the XRs about anywhere though.  Uncle Lee's does have a ton of Nitro Co. H378i (3in, 1 7/8, 4x5x7) but not the H321 (2 oz.).  I am thinking about trying these.  Anybody use them and how do they perform?

TWOWITHONE

My turkeys never got up and ran after being hit with Win e/r #6 shot thats good enough for me. Shot placement and get em in close.

Punisher

I just did some counting in the 10" on two different XR 3/1.75/6 patterns shot on two seperate days.  The temperature difference between the two days was around 15 degrees with one day calm and warm (70 F) and the other day windy and cooler (55 F).  The warmer day I got 167/10 and the cooler day I got 135/10.  Both shells from the same lot and shot through a Win. 22" 130 with a .660 IC.  Will temp. make that big of a difference? ???  I am thinking about trying a Rhino .660 to try to get better numbers.  What do you guys think?

Punisher

Sorry.  Shells were fired through a Win. 1300 not a 130.  That is a trial gun from Win. I just leaked out. :TooFunny:

oldcreekhunter

after some co-workers and people on here convinced me to try the hevi magnum blends and hevi 6's i did. ive now killed turkey with them along with my old winchester hv 6's....truth is that every bird i killed was dead lol. i like the confidence of the hevi's being a little stronger but i still wont shoot past 30-40 yards tops. i also refuse to shoot paper and cirlce holes. the best results are in the woods and anyone who disagrees lets stack beards