turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington Trigger Sear Reduction 870/11-87/1100

Started by GeorgeJR, April 04, 2012, 07:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeJR

Wondering if anyone has replaced their stock sear spring (F17518 Rem Part number) with the Competition Trap (F91771 Rem Part Number) and what you noticed when making the change.  Remington parts manual states the stock is 3.5 - 5 lb with the Comp trap at 3 lbs. 

Also anyone try changing the springs first and also trying a Timney Trigger Fix Kit and your 2 cents on this kit verse changing out just a spring.

I've heard the ONLY method to reduce sear is the spring and comments that anyone selling trigger jobs for this gun besides a spring change are a thief.  Seems fairly strong words IMO, but I also noted that Timney calls it a FIX which is a bit interesting as well.

For Deer and Turkey I would assume many have tried something, what did you do and what were your results?

msgobblergetter

Quote from: slickyboyboo on April 04, 2012, 10:46:11 AM
Try the Patriot Sear Spring, I put one on my 870 a few years ago, and it dropped the pull significiantly. There are several on here that have done the same. That 3.5-5 lbs is standard jargon for Remington, most of the 870s come in higher than 5 lbs.

http://www.barnesgunparts.com/patriot-remington-788-541s-541t-581-.html

X2... I have the patriot in my 870 and 1187.  Works well for me.

870supermagnum

I've installed the Timney Trigger Fix kit ($$) and used the lightest of the three spring provided.  It is a real improvement over stock.  Very little creep, clean break and much lighter pull (2.5-3 lbs).  :happy0064:

jk6140

How hard is it to change?  I have been thinking of doing this for a while on my 870.  Is this something for a gunsmith to do?  Thanks

Sand Man

Quote from: slickyboyboo on April 04, 2012, 10:46:11 AM
Try the Patriot Sear Spring, I put one on my 870 a few years ago, and it dropped the pull significiantly. There are several on here that have done the same. That 3.5-5 lbs is standard jargon for Remington, most of the 870s come in higher than 5 lbs.

http://www.barnesgunparts.com/patriot-remington-788-541s-541t-581-.html

slicky,
Is that the correct part for an 870 20ga?

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

bird

Change the sear pin spring in my 870SM this year too and noticed a difference immediately. Easier than tying your shoes. 

Sand Man

Quote from: slickyboyboo on April 04, 2012, 02:08:14 PM
Good question, I might have pasted the wrong one. However, this is the correct one for sure.

http://www.barnesgunparts.com/remington-11008701187-.html

Sorry about that.

No worries and thanks.  Glad I asked.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

GeorgeJR

870supermagnum  Did you by chance try just changing out the spring first (wondering if their spring would work with the stock sear).  I've heard no one complain about the Timney trigger and they are a great company from what I have heard.  I think that option gives you the most custom feel w/o a full custom price.

I just looked at the hammer on my 1975 1100 and looks like at one time someone either filed the back of the hammer to reduce creep, or one heck of a lot of rounds polished it down a fair bit.  I purchased it used and I believe the guy stated he used it for trap mostly and was less then 10 yrs old at the time.  I've only used for Deer hunting for the remaining time till a few years ago.  New 11-87SM hammer has a notch cut inward where the old 1100 is machined with a large radius (almost straight) before the outward flat the sear rides on before release.  I suspect this is due to safety to avoid accidental discharge.  Wondering if any old Remington guys know if this is indeed the change.  Would love to see all three hammers and sears to see how new, old and Timney differ (Timney changes spring and sear) to see what each has done.  I suspect this is why my old 1100 I didn't mind the trigger pull and I do want something better on my new 11-87SM.  This is more for my interest but if a $10 spring gets me to a more comfortable pull that is all I am looking for I'm sold.  I have kids and stock is normally fine, but in the age of adjustable triggers and tight turkey chokes and sabot slugs that can reach a little tweak getting my two shotguns similar would be nice.

Patriot sear spring sound like it is worth a try.  I have to order some 1100 parts from Remington, so I might purchase the F91771 (Light 3 lb spring per Remington) and pick up the Patriot and see if I notice a difference between the two.  Can always use one on my 1100 and one on my 11-87SM.  If it isn't good enough might need to look at the Timnley a little closer.  I have 2 trigger assemblies for the 11-87SM (Long story) so might end up with one for Deer/Turkey and one for wing shooting. 

GeorgeJR

Quote from: slickyboyboo on April 04, 2012, 01:46:57 PM
Easy, and takes about 2 seconds to change. It takes longer to take the trigger assembly out.

Very easy is a understatement. 

Pull off the spring that attaches to the sear (Towards the muzzle)
Spring is straight when the hammer is engaged

If you find it is hard to get off you could do the following:
Release the hammer,
Pull the trigger and while pulling the trigger slide the large pin out (about the size of the safety that is directly above the trigger. 
Should only slide out one way (to the left if the trigger is pointed in the direction it would be in your hand to shoot).
Release trigger
now almost no tension on spring.
Reassemble in reverse order with new spring.

Even the second set of instructions it takes only a few mins with minimal or no tools needed at all (besides a nail/punch and hammer to pop the pins out to drop the trigger).

870supermagnum

GeorgeJR, I did not try installing Timney's spring without installing the sear.  Timney's "fix" is expensive for no more parts than you receive (one sear and three springs = $75), so I put the sear and spring in.