OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mag blends and .670 PG

Started by chatterbox, January 15, 2012, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildSpur

I get 209 with the 3.5" MB and got 157 if I recall correctly with the 3".  Shooting a 20" 835 with the .670 PG.

Cluck more, yelp less

chatterbox

Quote from: WildSpur on January 20, 2012, 10:48:01 PM
I get 209 with the 3.5" MB and got 157 if I recall correctly with the 3".  Shooting a 20" 835 with the .670 PG.
I have the exact same gun. Good numbers. That would work for me.

mightyjoeyoung

Serious question then guys.  If I'm getting 345 in the 10" at 35 yards with the 3.5" Mag Blends in about 58 degree temps with fairly high humidity through my 24" 835 and a TG .670 SSX, (what I consider fair hunting weather), then can I expect an honest 300...maybe more at 40 yards?  Just how much will that pattern degrade?  I see a ton of Mag Blend bashing on here lately and I gotta say that they really seem to perform in my 835 super well and I'n even getting around 230 or so through my 24"SBE II and a .670 PG.  Is it just me or did I just get a bunch of boxes from a really good batch?...  Also, with patterns that tight, should I go up another ten thousandths or so and try for a little more leeway in the 20 as I don't shoot for numbers, but for gobblers.  Thanks guys! 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on January 21, 2012, 01:19:43 PM
Serious question then guys.  If I'm getting 345 in the 10" at 35 yards with the 3.5" Mag Blends in about 58 degree temps with fairly high humidity through my 24" 835 and a TG .670 SSX, (what I consider fair hunting weather), then can I expect an honest 300...maybe more at 40 yards?  Just how much will that pattern degrade?  I see a ton of Mag Blend bashing on here lately and I gotta say that they really seem to perform in my 835 super well and I'n even getting around 230 or so through my 24"SBE II and a .670 PG.  Is it just me or did I just get a bunch of boxes from a really good batch?...  Also, with patterns that tight, should I go up another ten thousandths or so and try for a little more leeway in the 20 as I don't shoot for numbers, but for gobblers.  Thanks guys! 

I think the numbers that you have are excellent. You're patterning in hunting type temperatures and of course your numbers would be much higher if temps were in the 60s or 70s. Your always on shaky ground to guess what any gun/choke/shell will do but with those 35 yard numbers, I'd "guess" that the patterns would hold up very well at 40 yards. I would not look at different chokes because those are working so well for you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."