turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The Day Just Started Out Crappy

Started by Sir-diealot, May 18, 2019, 10:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Oh one thing I realize I forgot to mention is that I was using one of Neal's Rutland Diamond wood strikers on the copper call when I started to call them in.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Wisgobbler

Man that is fantastic! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Wisgobbler on May 22, 2019, 12:51:47 AM
Man that is fantastic! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you very much.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Happy

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 21, 2019, 11:54:50 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on May 21, 2019, 11:52:30 PM
Congrats on a nice bird .. i glad all that grief i give you on the forum payed off ... lol...  It's those day's sometimes you feel the worst is the day your successful .... I guess that god's work ... see we are going to make a turkey hunter out of you yet ....
Thanks. Yea I think I am getting there. Now with all this experience I am going to have to teach you old guys a thing or two and write a book.
Use pictures in your book please. I am an exceptionally good looking fellow that dont read to good.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

eggshell

I am sorry I did not see this post sooner. I am truly moved and filled emotionally from reading your story and all the post following. This is truly what the brotherhood of turkey Hunters should be ( not that senseless quarreling we have seen on other threads). I stand and applaud you brother and join you in praising God.

I doubt there is such a thing, but I nominate you and your gobbler for "Hunt and Bird of the year".

Congratulations, my friend. If I had never had to get back in the game from a serious injury I wouldn't understand how much it truly means to you. After I was shot and nearly died, I wasn't sure I could ever enjoy the spring woods again, but with perseverance I have.

CONGRATULATIONS:  :happy0064:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy on May 22, 2019, 06:37:31 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 21, 2019, 11:54:50 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on May 21, 2019, 11:52:30 PM
Congrats on a nice bird .. i glad all that grief i give you on the forum payed off ... lol...  It's those day's sometimes you feel the worst is the day your successful .... I guess that god's work ... see we are going to make a turkey hunter out of you yet ....
Thanks. Yea I think I am getting there. Now with all this experience I am going to have to teach you old guys a thing or two and write a book.
Use pictures in your book please. I am an exceptionally good looking fellow that dont read to good.
They only guy on the planet that actually buys Playboy for the pictures. Wow!

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: eggshell on May 22, 2019, 07:38:00 AM
I am sorry I did not see this post sooner. I am truly moved and filled emotionally from reading your story and all the post following. This is truly what the brotherhood of turkey Hunters should be ( not that senseless quarreling we have seen on other threads). I stand and applaud you brother and join you in praising God.

I doubt there is such a thing, but I nominate you and your gobbler for "Hunt and Bird of the year".

Congratulations, my friend. If I had never had to get back in the game from a serious injury I wouldn't understand how much it truly means to you. After I was shot and nearly died, I wasn't sure I could ever enjoy the spring woods again, but with perseverance I have.

CONGRATULATIONS:  :happy0064:
First off let me say I am glad you were able to get back into the woods, it is something that to this day makes me cry when I think of my first day back in the turkey woods on my own, it just was so emotional for me as was getting this, my first turkey every. If you watched my horrible video you can hear my voice starting to crack at the end, I did cry then as well, I am not given to being an emotional person but it just felt like such an incredible victory for me if it makes any sense to put it that way.

I do not like the idea of anybody losing the ability to hunt or fish, I used to have to use an electric wheelchair to get around things were so bad with my balance and my pain, it was something I needed in crowds and where I would have to stand for a time. I just offered it to a guy that is having health issues as well as one of my blinds to help him get back out.

The gentleman that taught me all I know about archery that I did not learn from a book is a very giving man and gave me a lot of stuff when I started, let me come to his house and shoot my bow constantly and encouraged me greatly, it is something that I have done as well and to me is the meaning of the word Sportsmanship, I have given away or loaned out so many things to people some of the loaned out stuff I got back, some I never expected to get back but just wanted to help others get started. It is what we are supposed to do, I firmly believe that.

A few years ago my friends two sons were out turkey hunting, the one son (Eldest) went forward to scout for turkey for his younger brother who was on what I think was his very first turkey hunt, well the younger was sitting there and heard something moving and then saw motion and ended up shooting his brother in the right side of face, neck, shoulder and chest. He came very close to dying, he happened to have a cell phone with him which was a fortuitous thing as they are Mennonites and are not supposed to have them, thank God he did that day or he would be dead. It took him a bit to get back into the woods emotionally and his little brother took years to get back into the woods because A. they took his hunting rights away from him for a few years and B. just the emotional part of it. His brother that he shot did get him back in the woods eventually but it is not the same for him anymore. The one good thing that did come out of it and was a major contributing factor is that they found out the younger desperately needed glasses, the father told me the first time he put glasses on he just stood there and stared at things because he could not believe how much he could see and all the definition between leaves and all.

Anyway back to what you were saying, thank you very much for the compliments, I truly do appreciate them. And yes we do have a wonderful group of guys and gals here, I am so glad I found this site, none of my friends really turkey hunt. I did make a new friend turkey hunting this year hunting the property so who knows what may come of that.

Posting a picture of me in the wheelchair in front of the Super Bowl XL trophy in Pittsburgh several years ago, so glad I do not need to use the chair anymore. Also my profile picture is a picture I took of myself that first day back in the woods on my own, that is why it is my profile pic, it means a lot to me.

John Koenig:

Gobble!

Happy

Nah, I am a pretty handsome fellow but my wife is even better looking. I did really well landing her.
Now a serious question, deer or Turkey hunting? I enjoy deer (especially with a bow) but it is no contest to spring turkey hunting.

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy on May 22, 2019, 11:41:39 AM

Nah, I am a pretty handsome fellow but my wife is even better looking. I did really well landing her.
Now a serious question, deer or Turkey hunting? I enjoy deer (especially with a bow) but it is no contest to spring turkey hunting.
I was talking about this with somebody the other day, I am the only guy in our group that talks about turkey hunting in the middle of deer season. I want to get back to where I can shoot bow, I love bow hunting as much as turkey hunting and want to incorporate the two, that was my goal before my car accident in 2001. I do love deer hunting don't get me wrong, it really helps me when I get that meat because of my diet but I would still rather be on turkey. Three things I really want to hunt are bear, Elk and Moose. Bear is something that interests me and I don't really know why but Moose and especially Elk seem like they would be like calling in a 1500 lb. turkey because they are so vocal and it seems like the game is played much the same, especially for Elk.

John Koenig:

Happy

Now bear is something I never had an interest in. Dont know why but I have been around plenty of them and even could have killed some but I just have no desire to. Just something about them that reminds me of a person. Years ago, back when i fed  the critters in the back yard i had a good 400 pounder coming in. During the summer he knew if he heard the lawn tractor that i had just dumped corn in the feeder. He would come strolling out as i was mowing and once i would get within about 50 yards of him he would stroll back into the woods and then stroll back out as soon as I passed. Once I was out of corn and on my first pass with the mower he came on out and started towards the feeder. I shut off the mower and told him it was still empty. He stopped looked at me and walked over to the feeder. The look he shot me when he realized it was empty was one of sheer disappointment and disgust. He then stomped back to the woods sulking like a child.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy on May 22, 2019, 12:54:32 PM
Now bear is something I never had an interest in. Dont know why but I have been around plenty of them and even could have killed some but I just have no desire to. Just something about them that reminds me of a person. Years ago, back when i fed  the critters in the back yard i had a good 400 pounder coming in. During the summer he knew if he heard the lawn tractor that i had just dumped corn in the feeder. He would come strolling out as i was mowing and once i would get within about 50 yards of him he would stroll back into the woods and then stroll back out as soon as I passed. Once I was out of corn and on my first pass with the mower he came on out and started towards the feeder. I shut off the mower and told him it was still empty. He stopped looked at me and walked over to the feeder. The look he shot me when he realized it was empty was one of sheer disappointment and disgust. He then stomped back to the woods sulking like a child.
lol that is funny. I am not one that believes that animals have the same mental capacities of humans, but they do certainly learn our habits and react accordingly.

My church has a missionary and he is in Manitoba Canada and he told me about helping one of the guides out there and he said after they had picked up and skinned one of the bears a client had gotten the guide told the missionary to look back at the bear and tell him what he saw, he said he took a long pause when he looked back because skinned they look very much like a human corpse. I would love to get a cinnamon or blonde phased black bear before I die.

They are beginning to become more and more prevalent in my area and more so in some of the surrounding counties where the terrain is a bit more rugged and secluded. Years ago I went to Raquette Lake Adirondack her in NY and one evening we went to a garbage dump and it was where all the black bear would go to eat at night. I wound up getting within a foot or two from one of them as did another guy. The other guy reached down and petted the bear so I started to bend down to do the same, the bear growled at me so I decided that maybe I had just better leave it alone. I may not be the sharpest tool in the drawer but I am far from the dullest. I guess a few weeks later there was a kid that got mulled at the same dump.

John Koenig:

NCL

Happy,

I have to admit I laughed out loud at your bear story, like you I never have had a desire to hunt bears.

I have often referred to turkey hunting as a poor man's elk hunt. I have hunted elk in the Bitterroot valley and it was work, hunted moose in Canada, deer in several states, and antelope in Wyoming but I still think turkey hunting is the best,pheasant over a good dog is a close second.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: NCL on May 22, 2019, 01:46:10 PM
Happy,

I have to admit I laughed out loud at your bear story, like you I never have had a desire to hunt bears.

I have often referred to turkey hunting as a poor man's elk hunt. I have hunted elk in the Bitterroot valley and it was work, hunted moose in Canada, deer in several states, and antelope in Wyoming but I still think turkey hunting is the best,pheasant over a good dog is a close second.
Pheasant and rabbit are both something I would like to try but I am scared to do it to be honest. My balance is not good (Lot better than it was) and I fear my feet getting tangled and falling in the type of ground that you have to walk through and hurting or killing someone. I think a dog on point is a beautiful thing. I used to love to watch that show Hunting With Hank

John Koenig: