turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Done with 7's

Started by jfair, May 17, 2011, 01:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fullfan

This year we put 11 longbeards on the ground with the Hevi #7, This bird was shot by my son with his 11-87 sps-t and the 3" 2 oz load. The bird was at 43 yds. There were several in the breast that were in the off side of the meat. This was a bang and flop shot.

I am sold on the #7'a

Don't gobble at me...

Longshanks

There are some results for you..hmmmm..might not be the shells after all.. :laugh: pay attention folks.  If a man  can't kill turkeys with that load..switching shells won't help. :z-guntootsmiley:

Gobble!

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 19, 2011, 10:13:55 AM
And just so you know the 10" patterns are the working bees of the pattern core when shooting at farther distances.  Some may like a nice even 30" pattern but I worry more about a nice even 20" pattern at 40yds.  If you can't center that 20" pattern on the neck of a turkey at 40yds you really have no business shooting at a turkey in the first place.  

x2

jfair

Quote from: Longshanks on May 19, 2011, 01:11:25 PM
There are some results for you..hmmmm..might not be the shells after all.. :laugh: pay attention folks.  If a man  can't kill turkeys with that load..switching shells won't help. :z-guntootsmiley:

So then your point is... do not post anything negative about the 7's or else?  Listen, I am not trying to start any debates.  These are the facts in my case.  If I can't show my results without it being my fault, then there is no point being on this board.  I have been turkey hunting for 20+ years.  I have killed 20+ birds.  I know this pales in comparison to alot of you here, but have never shot more than one bird in a year.  This was the limit here in PA up until a couple years ago, just never bought that second tag.  I have never shot at a bird I did not get.  Never wounded any.  Shot Federal 6's in lead for many years.  Never chased a bird before this.  My shot was true.  Believe it or not.  Shoot what you want, I'm done here.

bird

OK guys.... Keep it friendly.

jfair you are more than welcome to have an opinion about the #7's and your opinion is welcomed here.

I believe this topic has pretty much ran its course and its time to move onto something else.

bird

duckaholic25

I dont really understand all you guys saying that hevi 7s are money every time out to 40 yards. Well pb 5s are money everytime out to 40 yards too, so why are you paying 3 times as much for product that is only just as good and acting like they are the best thing since sliced bread???

Gobble!

Quote from: duckaholic25 on May 19, 2011, 03:48:13 PM
I dont really understand all you guys saying that hevi 7s are money every time out to 40 yards. Well pb 5s are money everytime out to 40 yards too, so why are you paying 3 times as much for product that is only just as good and acting like they are the best thing since sliced bread???

most here like to limit their range to where they can no longer get 100 pellets in a 10" circle. Most lead #5s are not going to get 100 in a 10" circle at 40 yards.
I pay 3 times as much because that gives me much more room for error in the case I misjudged the distance a bird is at.

2much2loud

I do not see how this is the shooters fault if he skinned the neck and head and found pellets and holes....the shooter did his part. I have not missed or crippled birds with this stuff and have killed a few with it.  These shells put up incredible patterns on paper but are not best things out there. You cant tell me that of the thousands and thousands of shells that come of the line that everyone is perfect... shoot and like what you want but dont try to run anyone off because they dont like or have had a bad experience with a product and i hate to break it to you but nothing is 100% everytime

chipper

I agree with Bird,at times the #7's have shined .

ILIKEHEVI-13

And it's perfectly ok that we disagree here.  There's going to be people who swear by 7's and then there's going to be people that don't.  And some of those that don't probably will refuse to even try them in the first place because of their belief they are too small.  I was one of them, but I listened to reloader on here about what he said about pattern density and penetration is what kills a turkey and not knockdown power.  I think he again is right on the money.  The 7's in my honest opinion will still have the zip as far as they will pattern from what I have seen.  Put that center core on a neck of a bird and I believe if you do that you will enjoy the outcome.  Most on here do agree with that who have tried them and are amazed with the killing power even at longer ranges.  

I reworded that. 

Longshanks

Thats the most amazing shell i have ever shot a turkey with in 35 years of turkey hunting.  :boon: The Mag Blends and Hevi 6's are fine shells too so JFair i would just shoot whatever you like and go after the next turkey. :gobble:

OLE RASPY

Hevi shot 7's just gave me a headache so i shoot 6's now.

jfair

Bird is right, this has more than run its course.  That is what I meant by "I'm done here".    Read the original post, I thought I would add my opinion on the penetration of the 7's in a real world situation.  These are my opinions on how they worked for me.  Regardless of how well my shot was placed, the pellets that hit the bird are what I am presenting.  I was just reading product reviews for the Federal lead with flight control wad on Cabelas.  Seems as though the concensus is these are for sure kills at 60 and 70 yards.   I just don't believe everything I read.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Longshanks on May 18, 2011, 08:18:22 AM
The point you guys are trying to make is that Hevi 7's will not cleanly harvest turkeys at an ethical distance which is absolutely ridiculous.

what is an ethical distance???
sounds like people need to learn how to read a rangefinder
and learn to hunt
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Gobble! on May 19, 2011, 04:02:27 PM
Quote from: duckaholic25 on May 19, 2011, 03:48:13 PM

most here like to limit their range to where they can no longer get 100 pellets in a 10" circle. Most lead #5s are not going to get 100 in a 10" circle at 40 yards.
I pay 3 times as much because that gives me much more room for error in the case I misjudged the distance a bird is at.

both of my 835's will get 125-150 hits at 40yds with Federal or Winchester lead #5's everyday of the week
it's not the harvest,it's the chase