OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Project Quarantine - 870 overhaul

Started by Borden811, April 18, 2020, 02:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

Boredom got the best of me. I've got 3 benelli turkey guns, so I needed another turkey gun like a hole in the head. But I wanted a project, and I found one. I picked up an old 870 Express Magnum with a 21" vent rib barrel that was in decent shape. Found a Remington shur shot stock set for cheap, so snagged that. I like the forearm that extends back to the bottom of the receiver(saves my knees from the sharp receiver edge when resting the gun on them) and I also have an affinity for pistol grips on my turkey guns. But I hated the closed in look of the shur shot. Nothing a hacksaw, some steel putty, and a dremel couldn't fix. I cut the middle out of the bottom of the pistol grip, filled the holes with putty, let it dry, and blended it all in with a dremel. Next I completely disassembled and degreased everything, and re-lubed the internal parts. Next up was a paint job. I mixed in 4 colors of Brownells Aluma Hyde, in my own version of "atacs camo". The paint job filled in the texturing some on the grip panels of the stock, so next up was some stippling. Added a God-a-grip cheek pad, a Fiber optic front bead, and a claw sling. Made it to the range and did a little shooting, and have settled on a Carlson's .640 TSS tube, partnered with the old Federal Heavyweight 3" 7s. I'm consistently getting 160-180 hits in a 10" circle at 42 yards. I'll run TSS 9s for backup. Thru the same choke I'm getting 320 hits at 42 yards. Here's a couple pics of the finished product.

https://i.imgur.com/ROE8znt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0jEhwim.jpg

https://imgur.com/gallery/gz0koZe

https://imgur.com/gallery/z0XzwGu

huntinsomd

Man that looks awesome! I just picked up an 1187 20ga that I'm going to turn into a dedicated turkey gun. Can you explain how you did the camo? How much more durable is that paint vs rattle can?

paboxcall

Quote from: huntinsomd on April 18, 2020, 06:44:51 PM
Man that looks awesome! I just picked up an 1187 20ga that I'm going to turn into a dedicated turkey gun. Can you explain how you did the camo? How much more durable is that paint vs rattle can?

Agreed - that looks awesome, I have the exact same questions.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

lunghit

"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

DUCKDIGGLER

Turkeytider

Quote from: Borden811 on April 18, 2020, 02:31:08 PM
Boredom got the best of me. I've got 3 benelli turkey guns, so I needed another turkey gun like a hole in the head. But I wanted a project, and I found one. I picked up an old 870 Express Magnum with a 21" vent rib barrel that was in decent shape. Found a Remington shur shot stock set for cheap, so snagged that. I like the forearm that extends back to the bottom of the receiver(saves my knees from the sharp receiver edge when resting the gun on them) and I also have an affinity for pistol grips on my turkey guns. But I hated the closed in look of the shur shot. Nothing a hacksaw, some steel putty, and a dremel couldn't fix. I cut the middle out of the bottom of the pistol grip, filled the holes with putty, let it dry, and blended it all in with a dremel. Next I completely disassembled and degreased everything, and re-lubed the internal parts. Next up was a paint job. I mixed in 4 colors of Brownells Aluma Hyde, in my own version of "atacs camo". The paint job filled in the texturing some on the grip panels of the stock, so next up was some stippling. Added a God-a-grip cheek pad, a Fiber optic front bead, and a claw sling. Made it to the range and did a little shooting, and have settled on a Carlson's .640 TSS tube, partnered with the old Federal Heavyweight 3" 7s. I'm consistently getting 160-180 hits in a 10" circle at 42 yards. I'll run TSS 9s for backup. Thru the same choke I'm getting 320 hits at 42 yards. Here's a couple pics of the finished product.

https://i.imgur.com/ROE8znt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0jEhwim.jpg

https://imgur.com/gallery/gz0koZe

https://imgur.com/gallery/z0XzwGu

Talking about resting guns on knees. Knight and Hale makes a product called Universal Hands Free System. Consists of a knee pad with a U shaped gun rest on top and a shoulder attachment that has a slot for the gun butt to fit in. If you do much sitting especially ( that`s my particular style ), it`s a great thing to have. $50 well spent IMO.

Borden811

Quote from: huntinsomd on April 18, 2020, 06:44:51 PM

I can't speak to durability, as it's the first gun I've put it on, but I've heard good things. It does have a hardener in it, and takes 14 days to "fully cure" according to the directions. The main selling point for me was increased resistance to cleaning solvents. I've rattle canned stuff before, and had paint come off with the first cleaning. I've had solvent on this thing several times, and the paint still looks new.
    As to how I did it: First I cleaned, and degreased everything. Preparation is the key. If there is any oil or residue on the gun, the paint won't stick. I plugged the receiver openings, barrel openings, and Mag tube openings with rags. I hung the assembled barrel, receiver, and buttstock from a coat hanger, as well as the forearm separate from the rest(I wanted to paint the whole mag tube so I didn't have a bare spot when the action was open or closed). Then shot my base coat of the lightest color. Which was my tan. I then sprayed a few "blotches" of a darker grey/tan color to give the illusion of shadows. After that, I took a sea sponge and cut it into pieces. I sprayed the brown paint on a paper plate, and then dipped the sponge into it, then pressed the sponge against the gun. If you press too hard, it just leaves a big blotch, if you drag it, you get a big smear. Just use light to moderate pressure so you get a good transfer of the holes/openings in the structure of the sponge. Then do the same with the green paint and a new piece of sponge. After that, I took the darker grey/tan pain, and sprayed it lightly, almost like a mist, in a couple spots and just let it fall on to the surface of the gun to blur the sharpness of the sponge paint edges, and blend it all together. Then just let her dry for 14 days. The hardest part was letting it hang for 14 days without touching it!

huntinsomd

Job well done! Did you buy the paint directly from Brownells?

Borden811

Quote from: huntinsomd on April 19, 2020, 07:27:22 AM
Job well done! Did you buy the paint directly from Brownells?

Yes sir. I would assume there is some sort of paint you could buy at Lowe's or Home Depot that is similar.  But due to the "quarantine" here, it was just easier to buy it there and have it shipped to my door.

longislandloco

"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

Extremesolo

I really like the look of the stock.  And 180+ HW 7 will definitely get the job done.  Nice job.

strut_stopper

Now that's a good looking 870! Cutting the bottom piece out of that sure shot makes a huge difference, i was never a big fan of them but man that looks good now!

SOCOM304

Wow! That is very impressive! Very unique look and a look known to you & you alone! Very nice job on your 870. I hope you can put it on some longbearded gobblers for years to come! Safe hunting!

ManfromGreenSwamp

Good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button