OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Looking for a remomended starting point on my new Mossberg 535?

Started by dms2511, June 15, 2012, 07:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dms2511

I just purchased a new Mossberg 535 (turkey thug) with 20" barrel.  I intend on shooting 3 1/2" hevi-shot magnum blend as I do in my SBE 2 with an Indian Creek choke tube. I'm not opposed to shooting straight 7's but I guess am skeptical at longer ranges if I have to take a shot in the 50 yard area.  Probably just me being paranoid and skeptical of 7's since I've never used them.  Let me know what choke tube you would recommend starting with on this combo with either mag-blend or 7's.  Any help is greatly appreciated, but I'd love to hear from some guys with a similar set up and experience.

mightyjoeyoung

You said it in your post...Mag blends and an I.C. BDS choke.  only better starting point you could have is to take that 535 back and trade it in for an 835. :toothy12:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

allaboutshooting

I have owned 3 of those guns, 535s, and still own 2. It's really important to spend some time on the bore and I recommend that you "deep clean" it prior to taking it to the range. The time you spend getting the packing grease/oil out of the bore is time very well spent. It may take a while but I'd really encourage you to take your time and make sure it's shiny clean before shooting it.

I've seen excellent results with 3 very different chokes with my 535s but all shoot the Hevi-13 shells very well. I recommend the 3" shells, even though your gun will of course shoot the 3.5" ones. The 535 is a very light gun and it really meats out some punishment with the 3.5" shells and that can cause a flinch with just a few shells put down range.

The Hevi-13 turkey choke, the Wright's #3 and the SSX all give me excellent patterns with those guns. The same has been true for my readers who have those guns. One may do just a bit better in a particular gun than another but all do very well in all of them.

Good luck with your new gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

captin_hook

Everyone here will give you good advice on your gun. I think this is the best: WEAR A HELMET WITH A FACEMASK AND A MOUTHPIECE WHEN SHOOTING 3.5s out of the 535. I had one and to this day is the most punishing gun I ever shot.

dms2511

Thanks for all of the advice, and I certainly apologize for the mention of the long shot.  While I am new to posting on the forum, I am not a new turkey hunter or an advocate of long shots at any live game.  Quite honestly, was just curious about #7 shot more then anything. 

Also i do think that everyone is correct about the anticipated recoil with the 3.5" shells.  I'm  going to try them from the lead sled at the range, so we will see how it goes.  I bought the model with the full length stock/pistol grip, so hopefully that will help hold onto it in hunting situations. If its too brutal, I will go to 3" or sell it and hunt with my SBE2.  Really just buying it to have a second turkey gun and have something to mess with this summer at the range while anxiously awaiting next spring!

SumToy

650 to 660 if the gun is built in mid week.  LOL  We have seen a few of them that the choke is off center.  That is one reason that some will put good numbers and some dont.   :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

hawgchaser

I'm still trying to figure out why everyone says that 535's kick so hard. I don't think its that bad. I shoot 3.5" winchester supreme #6 shot through a tru glo choke tube (.665). This combo puts 50+ pellets in the head and neck of the turkey targets I use at 40 yards.

captin_hook

Well you are lucky, because the 535 I sold kicked like a mule. It surpassed any shotgun I've fired and took over the top spot from the .338 ultramag.

vt35mag

Pure Gold .670.  Pick up some 3" 2oz #7 shells while you are at it.  You may find they pattern as well if not better than the 3.5" shells.

Jacobson

Well I also just bought a new 535 turkey thug, as I already own a 535 W/ 22" barrel. The Thug kicks like no other gun I have shot. Leaning into it on a bench will really give you concussion like symptoms, and loosen your teeth. I also put on a Carlson .640 choke, Hevi 13 # 7s  3-1/2 do not shoot well from this setup, 3-1/2 Mag Blends put in 188 in a 10" at 40yrds. My other turkey guns do better. I have ordered a Hevi shot choke tube .662 that I will try when it comes this week. I will also take my hunting buddy to share in the punishment of shooting multiple shots from this gun. I will say that I do not pull off the target flinching as the LPA 3# trigger is awesome. The trigger is the reason I bought this gun, and when I match a load with it, I know I will be happy. The 20" barrel and lightness of the gun will be a pleasure to hunt with as in the field shots at Gobblers will not even be felt.  Good luck, and I will let you know of my progress.

yelpy

I also have a 535 but haven't found a choke that I like to shoot yet other than a Sumtoy. It is a Foulplay choke and shoots the TSS very well. I am also curious to see what combo's are used. I don't shoot factory loads through it though. I do know for sure that a Truglow red dot sight won't hold up to the thump of this gun shooting a 2oz load. It may recoil a bit more than most but it is a dream hunt with. I would suggest shooting a ported choke.

njdevilsb

My 535 didn't like the Mag Blends at all.  Shooting 3.5" 2 1/4 Ounce Hevi #7's through an Indian Creek .660, I'm getting 280's at 40 yards in the 10" circle.  I have a 20" barrel.  I have killed numerous birds with that gun and I like it a lot.  Another gun could probably put up better numbers, but I'm happy with mine and it'll kill them just the same.

allaboutshooting

Both of my current 535s are the "combo" guns with turkey and waterfowl barrels. They are very handy guns, light and once I really scrubbed those barrels, do very well with 3" Hevi-13 #6 shot shells.

The first 535 that I had and my current 2, really needed some extra time on the barrels. Once cleaned, they were very slick and shiny.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

goblr77

Quote from: captin_hook on June 16, 2012, 07:08:10 AM
Everyone here will give you good advice on your gun. I think this is the best: WEAR A HELMET WITH A FACEMASK AND A MOUTHPIECE WHEN SHOOTING 3.5s out of the 535. I had one and to this day is the most punishing gun I ever shot.

I agree. I had one and it was a beast to shoot. I'm not a little fellow and don't like to complain about recoil but that gun was just uncomfortable to shoot. Never owned another shotgun or rifle that came close to kicking like it did.