turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Budget gun

Started by yankeedeerslayer, March 16, 2012, 06:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeedeerslayer

I'm sure this has been brought up before but here it goes. You have $300 to spend and that means gun, choke, and shells. What would you buy? I have a Beretta and sometimes I don't like dragging such a nice gun though the bush. Need a dedicated turkey slayer. Thanks.
US Army Vet

tyelper

weatherby makes a nice pump gun its call a pa08

goblr77

I would buy a used 835, pick up a used TG SSX choke, and have a little left over for a box of Hevi-13 #7's. :icon_thumright:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: goblr77 on March 16, 2012, 08:31:54 AM
I would buy a used 835, pick up a used TG SSX choke, and have a little left over for a box of Hevi-13 #7's. :icon_thumright:

That will work.  Those TruGlo SSX chokes shoot very well. 

sugarray

I'd shoot your Benelli another year and continue to save your money.  This way you can get what you want.

Wal Mart has a Remington 870 SuperMag, 23" barrel, Camo for $327 last I looked.  Great gun for a great price.  Then a good choke, Jelly Head in a .665, and 1 box of Winchester XR 3.5" 2 oz #6.  This would be another $100.  So, for $427 plus tax you'll have a killer!

Hooks' n' Beards'

New, a Remington 870 Express or a Mossberg Pump are great Budget Guns as is a Used Winchester 1300.I Would try and Find a Winchester 1300,Great Little turkey gun,I Love my 2 But the Other 2 Are great for a Budget Shotgun as well.

TauntoHawk

20ga 870 pump, firesights, jellyhead and some Win HV #6's
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jonhaga

As said before Rem. 870 and Mossberg 835 are hard to beat for the money

rempumpman

Budgets are getting more attention especially in todays time; I would look hard in your local sundays newspaper for people selling guns; if possible, travel to a good gun show and watch for people walking around trying to sell their guns; you can really get a good deal sometimes; I saw a 870 wingmaster that a gentleman was trying to sell for 250.00 at the last gun show I went to and it was a beauty; if you are patient, you can find a good deal if you look hard enough; good luck.............rem
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

Nick_The_Tinkerer

how about a H&R single shot turkey model which can be had used for around 75 bucks everywhere and get the choke you want for it?

something like this:
http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=10935816

then few cans of spray paint, the right choke and shells and go hunting.

I bet you can pull it off for under 200 bucks

mightyjoeyoung

H&R Topper Deluxe 20 gauge.  6 pounds, good lines and easy to handle.  Pollish the pipe, mount some fire sights, throw on a .570 choke and some Fed. HW 7s and you've got a real killer for less than many other brands' base models.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 17, 2012, 10:51:38 AM
H&R Topper Deluxe 20 gauge.  6 pounds, good lines and easy to handle.  Pollish the pipe, mount some fire sights, throw on a .570 choke and some Fed. HW 7s and you've got a real killer for less than many other brands' base models.

that would get my vote
in the process of looking for one now for my grandson
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

worth612000

Flee Markets, garage sales and friends are a good place to look, Pretty much anything that's not pitted and accepts a modern screw in choke would do. Just don't get in a hurry and a good deal will come your way.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 21, 2012, 08:30:24 PM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 17, 2012, 10:51:38 AM

that would get my vote
in the process of looking for one now for my grandson

Well, apparently rem...er, I mean H&R hasn't been building any for a little bit and they are kinda difficult to locate.  I was more than ready to order one last week, but they were on some serious back order.  Against all my disllike for anything new Remington, I ended up going with a 20 Gauge 870 synthetic youth.  THAT gun was also tho ONLY one of those for about 75 miles too!  Funny...you can't find what you want at at GUN STORE, but you can buy an 870 SP at walmart for 300 bucks any day.   :TrainWreck1:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BrowningGuy88

The way I see that budget is you have two option:

Used
Mossy 835 Camo
Truglo SSX Choke
Shoot the bead

New
Mossberg Maverick 88
SumToy Choke
Hevi 7's
Williams Firesights

I also like the Pawn Shop H&R for about $50-$75 then have choke tube installed and tapped for optic ($125). Buy a Primos Tight Wad Choke $19. Add a Clearance Simmons 4X or a Mueller for $100. You are at $320 plus tax and have a killer rig!