turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jeb's Chokes

Started by allaboutshooting, October 19, 2011, 09:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

A few weeks ago there was a question about Jeb's Chokes. Since that question was raised, I've shot several of those chokes, evaluated them and published my findings at http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=512

I hope you find the article interesting and informative.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Interesting.  I guess they proved their design in front of God and everybody.

gobblingghost

Clark,
Can you clarify the one of the still shoot rules??? It states 4, 5, and 6. Does that mean you must shot at least 1 of each? And if you do have to shot one of each can you change chokes for the different shot size???
thanks

allaboutshooting

Quote from: gobblingghost on October 19, 2011, 11:32:06 PM
Clark,
Can you clarify the one of the still shoot rules??? It states 4, 5, and 6. Does that mean you must shot at least 1 of each? And if you do have to shot one of each can you change chokes for the different shot size???
thanks

Yes. Those rules were written to allow the organizer of a shoot to supply offer shells with shot as large as #4 and as small as #6 shot. I have not been to a shoot where #4 shot was offered in either 12 gauge or 20 gauge nor have I been at a shoot where #5 shot has been offered in 12 gauge shells in many years.

Given the choice, most shooters will choose #6 shot, all other things being equal and most organizers now offer shells with that size shot exclusively.

Since the Hevi-13 shells have been the "shell of choice" at the World Championship for many years and those shells are available in #6 shot, that's really all that anyone shoots in either 12 gauge or 20 gauge.

The exceptions that I have seen are in the 20 gauge class when an organizer has offered #5 shot 20 gauge shells from Winchester. That has not happened often and I only recall one time that happened in the 2011 season.

Lastly, you may change your choke tube at any time in any contest, just as you may change guns at any time during the contest.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark

mossy835

Interesting article and great pictures of the patterns. Thanks Clark.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on October 19, 2011, 11:04:09 PM
Interesting.  I guess they proved their design in front of God and everybody.

The Hunter Class is the toughest to win because everyone starts on a level playing field. It was quite an accomplishment.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Quote from: mossy835 on October 20, 2011, 12:04:43 AM
Interesting article and great pictures of the patterns. Thanks Clark.

Thank you. Matt and P.J. at the NWTF are professional photographers and take some great pictures. They do a good job of covering the event.

Thanks again,
Clark

WyoHunter

Thanks for the report Clark!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: WyoHunter on October 20, 2011, 04:21:31 PM
Thanks for the report Clark!

You're welcome. I hope you found it interesting and perhaps even helpful.

Thanks again,
Clark

pitjeep

clark

can you just show up at the world champ shoot & compete? i havent heard of any qualifer shoots around here.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: pitjeep on October 21, 2011, 05:35:52 PM
clark

can you just show up at the world champ shoot & compete? i havent heard of any qualifer shoots around here.

Yes. There are sanctioned regional and state qualifying shoots that allow you to earn seats (positions) in the semi-finals at the World Championship in the "Open" classes, by winning or placing second in a class.

You may also qualify for the semi-finals at the World Championship shoot.

On day 1 of the World Championship, from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. and on day 2 from 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon you may qualify for the semi-finals.

So, you many qualify for seats in the semi-finals in the "Open" class either at regional or state shoots or at the World Championship qualifying rounds on day 1 and day 2.

However, the only way to qualify for the semi-finals in the "Hunter" class is at the World Championship event. In that way, the playing field in that class is perfectly level. No one goes into that class with any advantage over another shooter.

The semi-finals begin at 1:00 p.m. and run until the winners of all the squads in each class have been winnowed down to a "final four" in each class. Then those four in each class shoot until one person has won 2 times. We finished day 2 at something like 6:30 p.m. this year.

It is a combination of marksmanship and endurance.

In 2012 there are supposed to be at least 15 regional and state sanctioned still target shoots, so maybe there will be one near you.

For many years, I've helped folks organize these shoots, in several parts of the U.S. I offer that same help to anyone who's interested in having one close to them. It's a pretty simple process, once you've done a couple and I'm always happy to help. Just let me know.

Thanks,
Clark