OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi-Shot Turkey choke Pattern PIX!

Started by Philippe, September 24, 2011, 04:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

I use the Hevi Shot .662 REM model in a short barrel old 1187 sps green leaf camo. Shoots well.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Longshanks

Quote from: Philippe on September 26, 2011, 06:10:43 AM
Well if i had any friends that hunted i would but i dont :(, I'd like to try the 3 1/2 6's and the Winchester extended range 3 1/2 6's still, but 20-40 a box is killing my pocket pook.

Put together a list of individual shells you would like to try..submit it and I'm sure someone will respond..you have lots of friends on here who turkey hunt. :icon_thumright:
Quote from: Longshanks on September 25, 2011, 11:11:21 PM
Beretta/ Hevi Choke

300-310 in a 10 in circle @ 40.  (12 gauge)
170's in a 10 in circle @ 40  (20 gauge)

Turning good patterns has been a process for me with all of my guns. Have tried allot of the chokes out there such as Rhino, primos, tru glo, mad, kicks, Hastings, pure gold, and the list goes on. I have seen them all shoot terrible at one time or the other despite the fact they are all good chokes. All guns are different and finding the right combo for each gun has been a process for me. I've seen too many amazing patterns from hevi chokes out of my guns and others to claim that hevi choke is not a quality choke. Anytime you hit a good combo on the first try you are very fortunate. Polishing the barrel wouldn't hurt. I agree with Clark..try the 3/2/6's Hevi shot. I would hit up my turkey hunting friends and buy some single shells from them. Try a number of different shells before going out and buying other chokes or boxes of shells.  If it comes to that Star Dot (if you can find one) or Pure Gold would be my next choice.  Good luck..Keep on shooting!  :z-guntootsmiley:

Longshanks

Woods and Water in Tuscaloosa,AL sell singles but you may have to wait til a little closer to turkey season for them to be available.

Philippe

Quote from: Longshanks on September 26, 2011, 03:55:05 PM
Woods and Water in Tuscaloosa,AL sell singles but you may have to wait til a little closer to turkey season for them to be available.

I tried to look, i didnt even see ammo avaliable on the site.

Longshanks

Call the store and ask for the guys in the gun dept and again you may have to wait a little closer to turkey season to buy an assortment of singles for testing.

goblr77

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on September 25, 2011, 10:02:47 PM
Well that really depends on the gun your using them in.  They work very well in the Beretta Xtrema so I am told.   

:agreed:

Todd1700

Quotestay away from the hevishot choke tubes,they are not worth half the money they want for them

Mine does this with a Hevishot choke and Hevi-13 3 1/2 inch 7's at 40 yards.

278 inside ten inches at 40 may not raise any eye brows around this place but it's by far the best I got any choke to pattern out of my 835. And I tried Jellyhead, Pure Gold, IC, etc, etc.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

"278 inside ten inches at 40 may not raise any eye brows"

People have become spoiled.  That's an awesome pattern.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I agree.  That's a better than good pattern for sure no matter who is doing the viewing.   :icon_thumright:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: goblr77 on October 05, 2011, 08:43:02 PM
Well that really depends on the gun your using them in.  They work very well in the Beretta Xtrema so I am told.  

You knew I was talking about you didn't ya?  LOL!  

Show us your killer pattern so those that think these chokes suck may rethink their thoughts.  Like I said it all depends on the gun.  

davisd9

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on October 06, 2011, 03:06:18 AM
"278 inside ten inches at 40 may not raise any eye brows"

People have become spoiled.  That's an awesome pattern.

:agreed:  Thant is an awesome pattern.  Better than the pattern I hunt with but honestly I do not want to hunt with a pattern like that.  I like 160-200 at 40 yards in case ole longbeard sneaks in at 10 yards. ;)
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

goblr77

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on October 06, 2011, 05:49:23 AM
Quote from: goblr77 on October 05, 2011, 08:43:02 PM
Well that really depends on the gun your using them in.  They work very well in the Beretta Xtrema so I am told.  

You knew I was talking about you didn't ya?  LOL!  

Show us your killer pattern so those that think these chokes suck may rethink their thoughts.  Like I said it all depends on the gun.  

This is the best one I've shot out of the Xtrema with that choke and Hevi 2.25oz 7's. Worst pattern was 291. Didn't shoot it many times with these loads trying to conserve the ones I had in that particular lot.

Britton40

Quote from: Philippe on September 25, 2011, 06:55:22 PM
Sir, i would be grateful to find a nice Star Dot for this gun. I know its asking alot but im always looking for one. I guess the  next best thing i can do is either get the Indian Creek or the Pure Gold. I really need this to be at least a 40+ gun, some of the areas i hunt are pretty open and some of these birds are very very stubborn.

Stardot didnt work for me.  I vote Pure Gold or something in a 675.  Mine likes Kicks 675.  I never tried a Pure Gold.

davisd9

Love my Star Dot and the few that I know that have them love them also.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

goblr77

Quote from: davisd9 on October 06, 2011, 03:03:51 PM
Love my Star Dot and the few that I know that have them love them also.

The Star Dot will flat out smoke with 2.25 oz 7's. PG would be my second choice. SumToy 3rd. The patterns below were shot with an 835 with a polished 24" pipe.