North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Upgrade on the way.....

Started by Yoder409, May 10, 2024, 09:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Story to follow.

Multiple beards get added together in scoring, right ??
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Aw, crap......

Only one beard allowed.

Just dropped me from a 75 to a 56.75

Miniscule upgrade.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tom007

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 10, 2024, 09:34:51 AMAw, crap......

Only one beard allowed.

Just dropped me from a 75 to a 56.75

Miniscule upgrade.

Congrats! Can't wait to see pics! Way to go!
"Solo hunter"

POk3s

The way I remember it is multiple beards USED to count but they changed that some time ago. But hey, points are points and if you're willing to take the pics then we'll take them!

Yoder409

A few weeks back I got a trailcam pic of this dude.

At that time, I was only determined to fill my first tag with my 100+ year old .44XL shotgun.  That trailcam pic instantly added to my spring 2024 "bucket list"

With the .44XL bloodied earlier this week, I started after the double beard.  I got on him and 2 others in a group yesterday WAY out in a field.  They'd gobble.  But they weren't leaving their hens. So I watched the 3 toms for 30-40 minutes with my binos and determined the double was definitely the dominant bird.

Got in place really early this morning to work him from the limb.  The best layed plans.......    No gobblers to be found.  Called and assembled 7 or 8 hens off the flydown.  They drifted to the field 100 yards to my left.  Called 5 of them basically back across my boots and outta sight the other way.  No toms.  Just rain. 

About 7:30........ pretty wet and about to head elsewhere.......a bird gobbled 300-400 yards away.  I cutt at him and he hit right back.  I moved a bit to a better position and poured it to him.  He had closed some distance.  25 minutes and a couple exchanges later, here he comes with the other 2 longbeards in tow.  They had never gobbled.

They stood, looking for me, for a short time.  It was raining and foggy.  But I was 99% sure the lead bird was the one I wanted.  The dot was already at the base of his neck.  The hammer was back and I sent it.  Instantaneous off-switch.  The 1% of doubt in my mind went rampant on the 39 yard walk to him.  But lo and behold...... it WAS my intended victim.

As fickle as hunting gobblers can be....going 2 for 2 on bucket list items in 5 days doesn't suck
PA elitist since 1979

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

JeffC

As fickle as hunting gobblers can be....going 2 for 2 on bucket list items in 5 days doesn't suck

And with a hurt back!! Congrats Don!!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

POk3s

zelmo1

Great stuff Yoder, congrats. Z

Tom007

Don, you planned it, you executed it! Well done my friend! Congrats!
"Solo hunter"

harleytom

Beautiful bird and great pics and story! Congratulations again my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zsully

Congrats Yoder!!!! What an awesome story and bird!!!