Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

anyone ever built a gun cabinet?

Started by neverstopchasin, February 28, 2013, 12:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neverstopchasin

i know this is off topic from turkey huntin but oh well. i decided i was gonna build my own gun cabinet since my wifes late pa had a wood working shop with most the tools i needed. i remodel houses and build additions on houses but this is a lot different than what i figured it would be but actually has been fun. i had measured all my guns a while back to see how tall i needed the top and drew it out but a few weeks ago i got a 870 and didnt even think to measure it so needless to say it would have been touching the top so now i am on my 2nd one(glad lowes didnt have the oak boards i wanted and i had to use pine) the one i am on now is 7ft tall 3ft wide and 18 1/2 in deep. we havent had any work in a couple wks so it has kept me from goin stir crazy and been a learning experience everyone needs to do atleast once in their life

redrivergar

Sounds like a great project. Post up some pics when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backwater

Woodworking is a great hobby.  I have never built a gun cabinet but have made quite a few pieces of furniture.  Bornagain64 and myself have spent quite a few days in my shop this year making turkey calls.  Are you planing to make it all out of pine?   Post up some pictures of your progress.
    Ray

neverstopchasin

yeah i makin it outta pine with spruce trim. all that i like now is some fine sanding before stain and poly. well i still like the doors but got a buddy gonna help me with the raised panel doors for the bottom and gotta get the glass for the top. i would like to get onto doin it for a livin but the people around here would rather drive 50 miles than to see someone around here do good lol. oh well God is good in the good times and the bad and turkey season is bout here.

bornagain64

Backwater he said the S word.

Lets see some pictures. How many guns will it hold?

backwater

Lol.....I did hear the S word.    The S word (stain), is a word that I do not allow John to use in my shop.  I try to let that natural beauty of the wood do all the talking.  I tend to use a lot of American hardwoods and mix in some exotics.  I know the S word does have its place in some projects but I try to shy away from it.
    Would love to see some pictures of your cabinets.
     Ray

neverstopchasin

lol i would like to just put some poly on it but its my first one and i joined the boards instead of using that pressed junk and had to use a little filler on a few spots in the seams because i didnt plain them but not much. the pattern i have planned on cutting in the barrel holder will hold 9, as of now but it aint cut yet. i will try to remember to take my wifes camera up there with me tomorrow and post some pics but not able to with my phone. unless i mess something up i have to say for a ol redneck  who aint ever done this it has turned out good.

neverstopchasin

neverstopchasin

here is what i have done so far. goin to get a mural to put in the back and bout to start on the doors. gonna make me some knobs out of antlers maybe. the pics really dont do it justice. didnt get to poly it because it snowed here and spent part of the day playin in the snow with the kids.

redrivergar

Looks really nice. I wish I had the patience to build one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neverstopchasin

patience is a the key and i have very little. it could have been nicer but didnt know how to use all the tools in there and didnt even know what half of them were. my father in law and uncle would could come look at what i had done and would tell me a easier way to do it or better way after i had already done some parts. my uncle that raised me always told me if you gonna be dumb you gotta be tough. the only help they gave me before hand was on how to use the biscuits to join the boards and dont cut no fingers off.

backwater

It looks great.  Looking forward to seeing the final product.

bornagain64

neverstopchasin

who would have ever thought these doors would be the hardest part? one thing goin my way is that's it's square as can be

timberjack86

Looks great Evan! Now you can build me one ;D