North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

favorite call

Started by snapper1982, February 11, 2013, 10:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapper1982

what is everyones favorite call.

i do not have a favorite but i do have a favorite type. diaphrams!

hookedspur

:fud: :OGani: After a lot of thinking I have to say an ole box call by Gainer Calls ,I use it more than all my other calls.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

vicksburg

Diaphragm, definately...I love a Hooks Executioner, but always tend to reach for a Woodhaven Red Wasp when it is crunch time.
]

anthonyjhallen

Just started running a tube call, and I must say that they are probably the most versatile call out there.  I really like the purrs you can get out of one.  Also, I am experimenting with a mouth yelper and tube at the same time which is producing some interesting sounds.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

honker22

Hooks or Preston Pittman diaphragms.  I also have a glass slate that one of the celeb hunters made for me... Aka Chris "Flydown" Holmes
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Woodsman4God

I like my slate pot call by Wendell with a persimmon striker, I have been using diaphragms also with decent results some by perfection - trifectas and I picked some up at the outdoorama last week by a vendor not on this site to igve a try

GobbleNut

For decades I was strictly a mouth call man, figuring if I couldn't call them in with my favorite mouth call that they just were not going to come.  However, in the last few years I have started toying with using pot calls and various strikers and have come to the conclusion that using a combination of mouth calling and the right friction call together is a deadly combination for tough birds.  I plan on continuing to use both. 

A good box call would probably be an asset, as well, but for now I think I have my bases covered with the mouth calls and pot calls.  To me, there just is not enough difference in tonal qualities between box calls and pot calls for me to carry and use both.

redarrow

Im a pothead myself and really like a K&H Slatek with a purpleheart striker.

HoggleGobble

A Houndstooth Modified V-Cut 3 reed mouth call is by far my most often used call. Helped about 8 turkeys die last year. Also, a Pat Strawser Glass and a Houndstooth Cherry Pot Glass call. I also have a box that Joe made (TRKYHNTR) that sounds great. Houndstooth has several other mouth calls I like as well (Tom Bomb, All pro)