turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Use Boot oil.

Started by ddturkeyhunter, January 22, 2019, 10:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddturkeyhunter

My question who adds any kind of oil or something to there turkey hunting boots. Just got new pair of snake boots, last ones made it ten years. Old ones were a leather or kevlar or something. Any way I put some kind of Bee's wax on them boots. But then you needed to heat up the boots to get it to soak in. So i put them in the oven and it worked. What a pain but I did get ten years out of them, and mostly dry. Will keep for back up, but new ones have zippers to get them off faster at end of day. New boots are half leather and something else. Whats everyone else do if you do anything?

buzzardroost

I use a mink oil paste on all of my hunting boots. Get quite a few more years out of them that way. Just take an old sock and rub it in the leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

Quote from: buzzardroost on January 22, 2019, 10:40:38 AM
I use a mink oil paste on all of my hunting boots. Get quite a few more years out of them that way. Just take an old sock and rub it in the leather.

I do the same on leather boots that dampness gets into. Seems to help keep moisture out.

LaLongbeard

Obenaufs leather preservatives, the best I've found. You can put a heavy coat on your boots and place them in a black garbage bag and put out in he sun on a warm day the heat will make the leather soak up the Obenaufs and the leather will be water proof. I'd not use the stove too much it will cook the leather and make it brittle.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: Phillipshunt on January 22, 2019, 10:49:46 AM
Obenaufs leather preservatives, the best I've found. You can put a heavy coat on your boots and place them in a black garbage bag and put out in he sun on a warm day the heat will make the leather soak up the Obenaufs and the leather will be water proof. I'd not use the stove too much it will cook the leather and make it brittle.
The black garbage bag sound and makes a lot more sense then the oven like I did before. Thanks for the tip, figured someone might have some good tips.

Deputy 14

Boot dryers work really well to heat your boots up enough for the oil/grease to soak in if it's too cold outside to let the sun do the work.

TauntoHawk

I've used a hair dryer but like the black bag trick
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SD_smith

I've used mink oil and a blow dryer. Helps the water just shed off the boot instead of the outer leather soaking some water up. Boots were waterproof before, but they were cold the next morning from still being wet on the outside.

Gooserbat

I've used a lot of different things over the years and any oil will work.  Honestly I've started using baby oil on my work boots but I don't know how well the pretty smell would go with hunting boots.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jmart241

Also had goodluck with obenaufs

aclawrence

Be careful with adding too much heat as it can cause problems with the glue in your boot.  I used the oven to until I watched a Kenetrek video where they were strongly recommending not to do that.

Sir-diealot

I also use Mink Oil just like my father and grandfather did. I would normally preheat the oven then when it got to 350 I would turn the oven off and just let them sit in there a little bit, pull one out and do it and then pull out the other and do it. Oh don't forget to clean the boots before you do it, makes a huge difference. Last year the GF would not go for the oven deal so I used her hair dryer, bigger pain in the butt but it worked okay.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

PALongspur

I use my Peet dryer to warm them up before and after I apply. I prefer Huberd's.

MK M GOBL

I use my PEET Boot dyer to warm them up first, apply OBENAUF'S Heavy Duty LP and then back to the boot dryer. Works great for me!

MK M GOBL

akp