turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Merriam’s Hunt

Started by DBRANNON, May 07, 2018, 01:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBRANNON

Me and a friend are looking to hunt Merriam's for the first time next spring. If you could pick anywhere with Merrriams, where would you go? If you were to use an outfitter, who would you use? We are in the beginning stages and we are trying to narrow down a location/state and whether or not we want to go at it ourselves or use an outfitter.

I'm not looking or asking for any specific spots with birds, just asking if you had one trip, say, a dream trip or hunt, where would you go? Or, if you've had some great experiences with a specific outfitter, who did you use?

Thanks!
Patience, grasshopper.

Coop1082

I just got back from Washington for my Merriam's. I highly recommend it. Hunted Collville National Forest and was on multiple birds all 3 days and left with a filled tag! It is incredible scenery and the amount of work that goes into climbing those mountains and running those beautiful birds around the ridge tops makes the end result extremely rewarding. Only bought one tag but had two on the last day under 30 yards. They are littered with them up there!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

KYHeadhunter02

I would love to hunt a true merriam! If you guys need another guy let me know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DBRANNON

Quote from: Coop1082 on May 07, 2018, 01:51:45 PM
I just got back from Washington for my Merriam's. I highly recommend it. Hunted Collville National Forest and was on multiple birds all 3 days and left with a filled tag! It is incredible scenery and the amount of work that goes into climbing those mountains and running those beautiful birds around the ridge tops makes the end result extremely rewarding. Only bought one tag but had two on the last day under 30 yards. They are littered with them up there!

Washington state is definitely in our thoughts. What airport did you fly into? Did you scout a few days or just go at it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Patience, grasshopper.

DBRANNON

Quote from: KYHeadhunter02 on May 07, 2018, 01:52:00 PM
I would love to hunt a true merriam! If you guys need another guy let me know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Will keep ya in mind!

Patience, grasshopper.

Coop1082

I flew into Spokane buddy. Scouted the entire first day (Wednesday) and used my 3 day license for Thursday-Saturday. It wasn't difficult to find birds but was hard to pinpoint them. One gobbling 3 miles away on the top of a mountain would sound like he was 200 yards away in the bottom of the valley I was standing in. They gobbled pretty much from daylight to sunset so locating them was easy but actually getting to them was a different ballgame!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

DBRANNON

Sounds awesome and I probably need to work on my conditioning from now till next spring!

Patience, grasshopper.

Hitlist Outfitters

wade

I just recently returned from South Dakota. Highly recommend tha cabin I stayed in. Birds within walking distance and about halfway between Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore. Went with my wife, her brother and his wife. I was the only turkey hunter and we all had a blast.
Do it outdoors

POk3s

I might be biased but I don't think you can beat hunting merriams in the black hills. Whether you choose South Dakota or Wyoming, it's quite the experience!

DBRANNON

Quote from: POk3s on May 08, 2018, 11:49:17 AM
I might be biased but I don't think you can beat hunting merriams in the black hills. Whether you choose South Dakota or Wyoming, it's quite the experience!

I've been looking at the Black hills side of Wyoming. I'd love to harvest a bird and be able to take a photo with Devils Tower in the background. I'd say that area is number one on the list, followed by Washington state, and Montana.

Patience, grasshopper.

POk3s

Yea man it's good stuff. Also, I would recommend not getting an outfitter. I just don't think it's necessary unless this will be your one and only hunt for a merriams ever. But outfitted hunts just aren't my style either. Rent a cabin, bring a camper, whatever and go hunt!

wade

It took me 2 trips, last spring and this spring to finally get it done. Probably paid about as much for 2 do it yourself trips as 1 fully guided trip.
Do it outdoors

Tomfoolery

Quote from: wade on May 08, 2018, 10:18:27 AM
I just recently returned from South Dakota. Highly recommend tha cabin I stayed in. Birds within walking distance and about halfway between Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore. Went with my wife, her brother and his wife. I was the only turkey hunter and we all had a blast.
Can u pm me details on where yall stayed. Planning on going again next year and gonna rent a place instead of tent camp. Looking into a campground cabins but options are still open.

merriamsman

Quote from: wade on May 08, 2018, 02:19:44 PM
It took me 2 trips, last spring and this spring to finally get it done. Probably paid about as much for 2 do it yourself trips as 1 fully guided trip.

Yes, but it's so much more satisfying to do it on your own.