Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

It happens to everyone sooner or later...right?

Started by mightyjoeyoung, May 05, 2018, 11:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

Got out a little late this morning but knew I had time as the birds usually flew down around 0630 and took their time getting out to one particular field I was going to set up in.  No decoys or calling at all until I knew they were close to the field.  Set up on the inside corner about 50 yards up the edge, tucked nicely back in a few feet behind an autumn olive.  At 0715 I hear a gobble to me left and just behind my right shoulder, no more than 100 yards away.  I gAve two sets of soft yelps and got jake yelps in return.  I cut a short series and gobbled on the halefire and sat tight.  10 minutes later 3 black bodies ghost into the field. All young jakes.  Yelping and feeding,  with one in 1/4 strutt.  They fed for a couple minutes at 30 yards and then headed back to the woodland to my left. I let them disappear before giving a sharp series of cuts and cackles and hitting the gobble call twice.  Back they came. They got 5 yards into the field but we're obstructed by a tulip tree when I see a big black body step out.  These jakes have been running in a group for weeks so I left my gunon the shooting stick, figuring I'd get to watch the teenagers for a while.  Well, when the strutting jake stepped out to 20 yards into the field and barely 30 from me he's got a paintbrush for a beard and spurs that almost put my eye out from where he stood!  He gobbled once and went to half strut. I strained to get the 20 gauge down and swung as slow as possible but he caugh the movement.   Maybe I should have held my fire but it's been a slow year. Lol
The tactacam footage showed I was about 4 feet behind him when I shot.  At least it was a clean miss.   My first miss in so long I can't remember the last one.  Easily 40+ birds ago.   
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

catman529

Ouch that hurts, especially seeing the spurs like that...on the bright side, you hadn't missed in over 40 birds hope you get another chance at him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chadly

As mentioned at least it was a clean miss.  You will make good next time you see him.  I've missed two birds over the years but both times I was able to follow up and get them on the second shot.  Last fall I missed a buck with my bow.  I still cant sleep and hate myself for it. 

zelmo1

You will get another shot at him. All is good and right in the world. Whack him tomorrow  :OGturkeyhead:

tomstopper

I know how you feel. I missed this year and that was the first time in the last 12 seasons (each season includes hunting in 3 different states). Got after him the next day and dropped him. Good luck brother. Stay after him and you will get him

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Happy

I talked myself right out of a kill this morning. Had two birds responding and knew I was in the right spot for one of them. He didn't seem to be in any hurry though and I made a move on the hard gobbling bird that was moving along the edge on the other side of the field(private that I don't have permission to hunt) long story short he locked up on a high spot on the hill and guess who was gobbling back at my starting point. I didn't follow my gut and paid for it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Happy on May 05, 2018, 07:03:43 PM
I talked myself right out of a kill this morning. Had two birds responding and knew I was in the right spot for one of them. He didn't seem to be in any hurry though and I made a move on the hard gobbling bird that was moving along the edge on the other side of the field(private that I don't have permission to hunt) long story short he locked up on a high spot on the hill and guess who was gobbling back at my starting point. I didn't follow my gut and paid for it.
This has been THE year of second guessing myself man.  Set up where I knew they'd be, but they took a different route.  Thought about setting up in their bedroom but held back and they strutted andnds gobbled right on the spot I WAS gonna be.  This year the jakes seem to be running the show.  There's one big fat boy in particular that's easily as big as the longbeards and strutts around while the toms feed and did preen like teenagers.  Just and did weird, weird season...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.