turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

So close today

Started by Jobofly, May 01, 2018, 07:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobofly

Hey guys, I had 2 gobblers down in the valley that I could not call up to me. They were answering like crazy but they would not come forward.  Should I hunt turkeys uphill? Downhill? 

At around 7am till I left I didn't hear anything else.  I tried to run and gun and I would stop and call and not a thing out there. 

Please help. Thanks everyone

land cruiser

Tail Feathers

As stated, call less.  Try to stay above them to call, it's generally held that they are easier to call uphill than downhill.  If they stop gobbling that fast they probably have hens.
Call to them early, take a nap or go trolling some other spot for a bird and come back around 10am and try from the original spot again.  Let them get the hens bred and they'll be amorous again.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Marc

First I try to be where they want to go...

If I do not know where they want to go, I prefer to be above them...  Seems easier to get them to come uphill rather than down.  I try to set up above them in a desirable area that the birds can traverse easily (i.e. I do not want some sort of rocky outcropping that the bird cannot travel over).

I feel that the birds tend to fly down and walk up.  So I might set up below a roosted bird...  But if he gets above me, I might try to work around and above him...

And as stated, calling too much can make the birds expect you to go to them...  I like to get a bird worked up, and then shut up for some period...  Maybe do some occasional clucks/purrs...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Jobofly

Ok so I maybe calling too much. Once I get them going I will stop. How long before you start calling again?

roverboy

Once you get them worked up, then you stop calling. I would then wait at least 15-20 minutes then call a little more. Keep  your eyes peeled.
Listen for the gobble

Marc

Quote from: roverboy on May 01, 2018, 09:36:17 PM
Once you get them worked up, then you stop calling. I would then wait at least 15-20 minutes then call a little more. Keep  your eyes peeled.
And it is a loooong 15-20 minutes...  Time goes by excruciatingly slow for me waiting to call...

This season, I was with my oldest daughter, and we got some gobbles that were a fairly long distance off, and off the property...  I got set up (i.e. calls out, got behind a good log to hide, laid the gun down, etc.) and pulled out some snacks...  In short order we forgot about the distant birds, until they gobbled right below us, and popped out of the woods (all to often they will show up quietly though).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Jobofly

Thanks for the tips fellas.  i am going out again in the morning and will take your advice and stick to it.  ill keep you guys posted.

Jobofly

One more question, should i wait until after they fly down from the roost to start calling or should i throw a few clucks before to let them know i am flying down from the roost?   

Tail Feathers

A light series of calls before flydown lets them know you're there.  But continual calling before flydown can make them stay on the roost much longer than normal because they are waiting for the hen (you) to come on to them.  We all love to hear them gobble, but calling to them in the roost tree to get 'em going can be counterproductive.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

tomstopper

I agree. I usually give some soft tree yelps and get his attention. I don't over call to him  for the stated reasons but also, I don't want him to go nuts because it will draw in a ton of hunters in my area. I have had a lot of luck by just doing the soft calling at first and then raking in the leaves. When he hits the ground I give a series of yelps again and then continue to scratch in the leaves and the have come right in
Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 02, 2018, 04:47:15 PM
A light series of calls before flydown lets them know you're there.  But continual calling before flydown can make them stay on the roost much longer than normal because they are waiting for the hen (you) to come on to them.  We all love to hear them gobble, but calling to them in the roost tree to get 'em going can be counterproductive.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk