turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NWTF pulling out of Canada

Started by chrisun, January 07, 2014, 08:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisun

For the last few years the NWTF has been like watching a snow ball heading way down south. Well, my best friend has been a supporter here in Ontario Canada for the last few years. Yesterday he got an email explaining that the NWTF is leaving Canada. There was no "clear" reason given. However, from what we have been told "rumour only" they have not been accountable for the funds raised in Canada. Non profit organizations have tax free status in Canada but must ensure that a proportionate amount of monies raised remain in Canada. These funds are audited and tracked. We are hearing that NWTF has lost their tax free status in Canada due to a disproportionate amount of monies leaving the country. NWFT simply doesn't want to play in Canada anymore. 
John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.

ccleroy

chrisun

Here is the email

On Friday, Jan. 3, 2014, the NWTF Board of Directors voted to suspend its fundraising operations in Canada indefinitely. This decision was based on a pending change in NWTF status under Canadian tax structure and a comprehensive evaluation of fundraising operations in Canada. This decision will allow the NWTF to focus on its long-term business plans and mission across North America.

The NWTF is proud of its accomplishments in Canada, including establishing wild turkey populations in Canada. The NWTF is grateful to all of its volunteers, members and staff in Canada for their support.

The NWTF is dedicated to the conservation of the wild turkey and the preservation of our hunting heritage.

canadatom

From sources that were there from almost the start and have since left or have no association with the NWTF anymore, almost all the money being raised was going back to the US and we were getting almost nothing. All the people working giving their time and effort for various fundraising efforts here were seeing this and not to happy about it. Although the NWTF has fallen out of favour with a lot of people, they have also done a lot of good and it is too bad to see them go.

TRKYHTR

You can start the Canada Wild Turkey Association.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

slamman

doesn't sound like NWTF wants to "SAVE THE HABITAT SAVE THE HUNT" in Canada.

GobbleNut

The problem with the NWTF is that when the economy flat-lined, their entire business model fell apart with it.  They had built a huge infrastructure of buildings, inventory, and employees when the economy was good that was entirely based on the presumption that things would remain constant or improving economically.  Obviously, that was erroneous.  This situation is not unique to the NWTF,...it is happening to non-profits across the board. 

NWTF has compounded its problems by making poor decisions that are now alienating many of the dedicated volunteers that have been the backbone of the organization.  Here in NM, our entire state chapter system collapsed because the NWTF leadership chose to keep a incompetent employee here rather than take the word of the volunteers,...many of whom had been the leadership of our chapter for decades,....that this employee needed to be replaced.  They made the decision to keep this employee based on money concerns rather than the concerns of dozens of NWTF volunteers here.  They used extremely poor judgment here,...and it appears they are making the same mistakes in other places, as well.

The NWTF was built on the premise of volunteerism and the philosophy that hunters would rally around an organization dedicated to the preservation of this great game bird.  Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, the leadership forgot that they were dealing with volunteers, and instead started looking at the volunteers as employees.  Volunteers that get treated like they are employees tend to become weary of that over time.  Unless the NWTF leadership figures that out, they will continue to see their support slip away.

Gooserbat

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 08, 2014, 09:57:21 AM
The problem with the NWTF is that when the economy flat-lined, their entire business model fell apart with it.  They had built a huge infrastructure of buildings, inventory, and employees when the economy was good that was entirely based on the presumption that things would remain constant or improving economically.  Obviously, that was erroneous.  This situation is not unique to the NWTF,...it is happening to non-profits across the board. 

NWTF has compounded its problems by making poor decisions that are now alienating many of the dedicated volunteers that have been the backbone of the organization.  Here in NM, our entire state chapter system collapsed because the NWTF leadership chose to keep a incompetent employee here rather than take the word of the volunteers,...many of whom had been the leadership of our chapter for decades,....that this employee needed to be replaced.  They made the decision to keep this employee based on money concerns rather than the concerns of dozens of NWTF volunteers here.  They used extremely poor judgment here,...and it appears they are making the same mistakes in other places, as well.

The NWTF was built on the premise of volunteerism and the philosophy that hunters would rally around an organization dedicated to the preservation of this great game bird.  Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, the leadership forgot that they were dealing with volunteers, and instead started looking at the volunteers as employees.  Volunteers that get treated like they are employees tend to become weary of that over time.  Unless the NWTF leadership figures that out, they will continue to see their support slip away.

Well said and NM isn't the only place where support is slipping.  We had to cancel our banquet last year because all but 2 of the volunteers just simply said they were fed up and quit.  Our problem here is the cost.  It will cost a family of four around $100 just to attend a banquet before they ever bid on a single item or participate in any activity.

Not to smart when your average household income for my part of the state is $19,000.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Hognutz

Classic case of "The Tail Wagging The Dog".
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

pappy

Let us not forget our place in Society, let us remember that we stand in the shadows of those driving the gears that operate it. Economic success fuels big business, and when that tank gets low, you either drive till you run out or you refuel, the NWTF is Big Business, the decisions made, unfortunately, are made to insure that their tank stays full or at least be able to operate without the fear of taking the chance of running empty.
If this means shopping for the best price on fuel or the best grade of fuel, so be it.  "The problem with the NWTF is that when the economy flat-lined, their entire business model fell apart with it." You see what I am talking about? Even though the continent of North America engulfs Canada ( On Friday, Jan. 3, 2014, the NWTF Board of Directors voted to suspend its fundraising operations in Canada indefinitely ) why would this take place? This decision was based on a pending change in NWTF status under Canadian tax structure and a comprehensive evaluation of fundraising operations in Canada So we see the true nature of things.....it has nothing to do with the continuing efforts of ensuring wild turkey populations or the preservation of the hunting heritage, but it has everything to do with economical success.
If the fore fathers of the NWTF could witness what is happening, where the monies are going, how they are being used, and what the goal of the once prestigious organization known as the National Wild Turkey Federation, I believe they would jump out of their graves. Evidence is in the pudding I always heard, last February I walked the very narrow corridors between the booths, ended up infront of a Psychic's Booth...LOL at the NWTF... maybe I should have asked her about the future of Canada's hunting heritage ....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Duke0002

Quote from: canadatom on January 08, 2014, 12:16:38 AM
From sources that were there from almost the start and have since left or have no association with the NWTF anymore, almost all the money being raised was going back to the US and we were getting almost nothing. All the people working giving their time and effort for various fundraising efforts here were seeing this and not to happy about it. Although the NWTF has fallen out of favour with a lot of people, they have also done a lot of good and it is too bad to see them go.

If that's the case, our friends in Canada have every right to be hacked off.  I would be too.  As Joe posted -perhaps a new turkey organization is needed.

Tail Feathers

I don't know the whole story, and taking donations in one country and spending the money in another won't serve an organization well.  But it sounds like a change in the tax structures may play the bigger part in them leaving.
No charitable organization can exist long without favorable tax sheltering.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

chrisun

Quote from: Tail Feathers on January 08, 2014, 02:29:44 PM
I don't know the whole story, and taking donations in one country and spending the money in another won't serve an organization well.  But it sounds like a change in the tax structures may play the bigger part in them leaving.
No charitable organization can exist long without favorable tax sheltering.

Just to be clear. There was not a new change to the Canadian tax structure with non profit organizations. There was going to be a change in NWTF "Status".

Barry Keicks

I see the same corporate manta in Delta Waterfowl and DU as well. My local chapter works their butts off raised a lot of money and have every right to be pizzed about being thrown under the bus.

On a bit of a side bar would this type of action prompted Keck to resign a  few years back?