turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best box call for Turkeys

Started by brkncly, April 16, 2012, 05:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brkncly

So, I'm new to turkey hunting. I'd like to get started with some basic calls, one of them being a box call. There are so many different kinds on the market, I don't know which one to buy. I'd like to know which brands you are using and what made you decide on the one you bought. I'd like to just buy once and not have to buy $100 or more to find one that works great here in Oregon. Thanks for your valuable input.

HunterMan

Albert Paul...Pauls Calls...Just give him a call.

gwa

dreis3

Jerry Zebro - bloodwood over black walnut, glued box... $40 ya can't beat it
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

scoot12

I have the same Zebro box and its awesome.  Another is a Gibson box from WillowRidgeCalls,  it can gobble raspy hen yelp and do great jake yelps.  It is only $60 which is a steal.  Scoot

brkncly

Either production or custom. What are the andvantages over each other? I see that some custom box calls are actually cheaper than production calls also I've seen some custom calls that are $100 or more.

Gold Spur

Jerry Zebro's calls are awesome! He's a great guy to deal with. He can be reached 715-505-3324. You won't be disappointed.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Devastator

this is mine and i could not imagine a season with out it.last year i was trying to locate some birds in the evening during the first week and set it on my bumper to take a pee,left to see a landowner and went to leave and the call was not on the seat.i knew where it was,on a dirt road with washboards on a sharp corner going up hill.sure enough it was there,one truck had come through on the road while me and the land owner talked.not a scratch on it.got lucky i guess.sad thing is ya cant get them anymore from the original maker.someday i dream of going to the convention to find a box that even comes close to the sound of this box.good luck in your search.

archery1

I HAVE 1 FROM A+J CALLS.. CUSTOM BUILT ONE PIECE BOX
ITS AROUND 30 SHIPPED 2 YOU.. HE HAS A BANNER ON TOP OF OG PAGE
GIVE HIM A SHOUT..
ALSO MAKES A GREAT PUSH PIN FOR CHEAP ALSO
MADE IN PENNSYLVANIA
Take a kid hunting

TauntoHawk

If I was looking to buy a box right now and not spend a ton of money id be calling either Jerry Zebro or David Halloran for a field short box but there are tons of great call makers out there to choose from 
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rope

If you are tight on money,try a field grade call from SS Custom Calls.
Freedom is NOT free

brkncly

I'm willing to spend the money on a decent call. I don't want to buy a bunch of box calls, waste money and having them lay around.  Looking for one that will do it all.  Thanks a lot for our guys input.

mudhen

Since you asked, the only call I would buy 'only one' of would have to be from Albert Paul.

I'd tell him about your birds, terrain, etc. and see what he thinks is best.

S&S is a good choice too.

The problem with production calls is that there are great ones out there, but you may have to buy 3-4 of the same call to get that 'sweet' one.  I own a superb Primos Heart Breaker, but I had to go though 4-5 to find one decent one.

Also, remember, folks use box calls for many different reasons, and it can be difficult for one box call to cover many bases.  A good locator box might not be a good close up box, and vice versa, etc.

Good luck!

mudhen

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

macondaly

Quote from: HunterMan on April 16, 2012, 05:31:38 PM
Albert Paul...Pauls Calls...Just give him a call.

I've bought a truck load of boxes, after getting one of Mr. Albert's, I plan on buying only two more. I want a matched set of his for me and my son.
If you're gonna shoot him you better do it now!

Turkey Call Maker

I use Tuscarora Legend Turkey Calls, Harold Shields make excellent box calls...  :drool:
Jim