OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Done with 7's

Started by jfair, May 17, 2011, 01:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawei

Quote from: LaBiologist on May 17, 2011, 03:11:53 PMThe problem with Pb #4 #5 is the lack of density in the pattern.  Yes, they will hit as hard or harder.  But you get greater density of patterns with #6 and #7 HS.
Your argument is certainly true. I realize one of my 20ga turkey guns is an anomaly, in that it patterns #4Pb very evenly; but only with a Swarm™ .555" choke. My other two 20ga guns prefer #5Pb or #6 Remington® Hevi•Shot®.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Gobble!

I just hope you guys take all the back luck  :lol: .
In 2 years with the 7s I have killed 4 birds at 40-45 yards and 1 at 52.
Saying that though every bird was killed in hunting conditions with no rain and very little if any wind.

jfair

Quote from: WyoHunter on May 17, 2011, 03:28:35 PM
It's good you're in decent shape to catch that gobbler. What type of sights do you have on your gun? In my 20 ga. and 12 ga. the farthest shot with 7's has been at 48 yards and all birds have flopped once or twice and died right there. I love Hevi-13 7's and have complete confidence in them. From the hits he took he must have been one tough bird! 

I have a simmons scope on the gun.  I understand the operator error part, maybe, it felt like a good shot.  I thought I was in good shape til after that run.  He was pretty shaken and not at full speed.  I thought about throwing up once or twice after the fight. :P  My first dive at him got a spur in the right hand and a fist full tail feathers in the left.  I hate to even say this, but thank the Lord for that large stick that happend to lay next to me.  Again, I understand lots have had good luck with the 7's.  Just obviously function different from my gun somehow.  I was getting 240 in 10" at 40 yards.  It looks to me that the majority of shot hit him, just didn't work in this situation. I had no shot below 1/2 way down the breast.

2much2loud

I am not overly impressed as well, I have killed a few with theses shells and everyone flopped alot more than i figured they would, not that means much. The gobblers I shot with win xtended range have hit them with alot more athority but dont have the good numbers the 7s put up. I will either be shooting mag blends or win xtendeds next year. Just dont like the 1020 fps with 7s.

VAHUNTER

i never jumped on the 7's band wagon. i have seen how they penatrate cardboard to many times at 40 yards to be satisfied. #6's for me everytime
Good things come to those who wait

duckaholic25

I am so glad that people are starting to see the light about hevi 7s. Me and a couple of other guys who talked bad about them were getting blasted. I know they pattern good but cardboard and turkey necks are 2 different things. I think I am gonna try the win xtd 6s. Anyone know how they perform on TURKEYS.

savduck

Quote from: duckaholic25 on May 17, 2011, 09:36:18 PM
I am so glad that people are starting to see the light about hevi 7s. Me and a couple of other guys who talked bad about them were getting blasted. I know they pattern good but cardboard and turkey necks are 2 different things. I think I am gonna try the win xtd 6s. Anyone know how they perform on TURKEYS.

Like this.....all winchester XR 6s. Some from the last three seasons. I like em. Never shot the Hevi 7s so I cant bash them. Have shot the Hevi 2 oz 6s.....missed two, and killed 2 with them. Went back to Winchesters. They hammer them. The jake in the picture with my Dad was at 40 to 45 yards running. Shot him with my old turkey gun Beretta 390 with Kicks 660...we counted 25 pellet holes in his head and neck. He was running straight away and just hit the ground at the shot, no flopping.

Georgia Boy

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well it ain't the 7's that is causing your issues. 

All you got to do is take the time to find the right choke for your gun and know how to shoot once you find the right choke.  Know where to aim and how to hold steady and those 7's will kill as far as they will pattern.  Anyone that tells you different is lying to you. 

pdqt

Every one has different experiences. The man said he was getting 240 in 10" at 40, sounds like good enough choke to me. I am shooting tss #8. Had occasion to shoot a jake this year, running at 45 angle at 40 yds. DRT, the shot was a little far back, I recovered 21 pellets, some in the breast just past the breast bone. I did not notice any pass thru's especially in the breast area.   Heavi 7's are too small for me.    :begging:

WiLL B

He had pellets in the head! If they would have been HS #5's he wouldn't have had to chase him!

ILIKEHEVI-13

All I can say is that if you got a gun and choke that will shoot any of the Hevi-13 #7 loads whether it be 3" or 3.5" loads at 40yds to the tune of around 240-300 shot on avg in a 10" and you center that pattern over the waddles of a bird at 45yds, there is going to be no ands ifs or buts that he will die and not go anywhere period.  The problem lies when you the operator don't center that pattern.  It's that simple regardless if your shooting the Hevi-13 #6 loads or #5's or if you are shooting TSS loads it don't matter.  The same problem has been said about the TSS loads.  All it takes is putting a perfect product into the wrong hands from someone that swears they did everything right when they most certainly didn't.  Now that's not directed at anyone, but it is the truth.  It's takes both the shooter and the load to have a winning outcome and that is all I am trying to say.  

I have personally seen firsthand what the 3" 2oz #7 loads will do to a big gobbler at 45yds.  He was dead before he hit the ground.  No running off or flying off period.  The bird was toasted.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Again I will show those doubters that think these 7's are too dang small to possibly put the hurtin on a big 24lb bird.  It just can't be.  Well they probably still will have their doubts.

This bird was probably at least 45yds.

Here's the opposite side of the bird.  Now what more could you want these shot to do?

Now here's the side the bird was shot from.  I aimed right about on the wattles.   You can plainly see this is on the right side of the bird.  I'm showing you this one so you know fo certain the picture above was the backside of the bird.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's the whole 24lbs of that bird just so you can see the 7's did him in.  That bird was weighed at the MO Dept of Conservation Office by 2 agents.  

If that bird could talk, he would be saying I hate Hevi-13 #7's!   :z-guntootsmiley:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Goblr77 on here has had the exact same results that I have had at about the same yardage and another one at a little over 50yds.  Maybe he will post up some of his results.  But he too smoked his birds with these loads.  But again both of us have found the right chokes for our guns with these loads.  I honestly can't see how Hevi-13 #6's would have killed them any deader.  

jfair

ILIKEHEVI,  I know you get very worked up about defending 7's.   I'm just telling everyone what happened in my case.  The pellets did not pass through the breast meat.  In fact some were just under the skin.  To me, the picture you posted shows the same.  Clearly the pellets shown under the skin did not come from the other side but are barely under the skin at entrance.  There is no damage to the meat behind them.  Or are you suggesting that all those pellets passed through the breast and just happened to stop before exiting the skin on the other side?   The neck of my turkey looked the same as what you show.  A bloody mess.  There were plenty of hits, some pass throughs and some that did not pass through.

I have seen the claims of others on this board.  I cannot defend myself against operator error.  Only I know how my shot was placed.  Regardless of how bad you believe my shot was, there were many pellets that hit that bird and thay did not pass through.  I can tell you that it is a fact that they pellets will not pass through the breast at 45 yards.  I know that for sure.   Again if you are happy with them, shoot away.  These are my facts.

It was raining and 55 degrees.  If this affects them, well thats half of my season.