Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

New Browning A5 vs Benelli Super Black Eagle II initial inspection review

Started by rkm456, August 30, 2015, 07:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkm456

Well, I currently have both, and thought I'd do a review on both as it was hard to find one on both that was objective. Full disclosure: I'm not rating them based on how they shoulder because that's both incredibly subjective, and adjustable to some degree with both guns, so to say one feels better than the other isn't really a help to anyone who might be looking at either gun. Check them out for yourself and see which one feels better in that regard. This is mostly a fit and finish/ basic function review. To possibly lend some insight to those struggling with a decision.

In the blue corner, shooting its way out of Viana, Portugal via Belgium. Weighing in at 6 lbs 13 ounces, with a 3 inch chamber, 28 inch long barrel and a total overall length of 49 5/8 inches. The challenger Browning A5 Hunter!

and in the red corner, shooting its way out of Urbino, Italy. Weighing in at 7.3 lbs, with a 3.5 inch chamber, 28 inch long barrel and a total length of 49.6 inches. The reigning, defending, undisputed Autoloading Sportsman's Shotgun Champion of the World!!! the Benelli Super Black Eagle II !!!

1) Cases: Both come with nice ABS plastic cases. The Benelli's is a sleeker shape, but the sleeker shape means you can't fit a choke case in it where the Browning has a spot for one. The Benelli case does offer space for choke storage, but it isn't segmented off, so if you keep the threads oiled, your case will likely end up a mess. The Browning's also has the ability to not tip over when you set it down like you would a briefcase. It's a pretty minor issue, but when you're leaving the house early in the morning and trying not to wake up the wife and dog, a hard plastic gun case slamming down on the hardwood floor is something you're much happier to not worry about. The A5 also comes with a locking device, the Benelli does not. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I think in the interest of safe storage EVERY firearm sold should include one. Particularly one that runs well into 4 figures.

Verdict: Browning

2) Chokes: Benelli comes with 5, Browning comes with 3. 5 is really nice, especially when you want to shoot a round of skeet with your brand new gun and aren't very good. Modified doesn't break them quite as easily as a skeet choke does. The first time you shoot a round of skeet your nerves can easily get the best of you, the added confidence of a properly constricted choke make a big difference. Not only does the Browning case have a dedicated spot for a choke tube case, as mentioned above, it also comes with a choke tube case which like the gun lock seems to be somewhere Benelli cut a corner, as the SBE II does not. A choke case only set me back 5 bucks, but I also have to find other means of transportation for it because it doesn't fit in the guns case. Ultimately though I value the extra choke, over a case in which to carry them.

Verdict: Benelli

3) Assembly/ Disassembly: Both guns went together very easily and in a very similar manner. The major difference between them is that the SBE II has a split receiver, the A5 has a more traditional barrel into receiver setup; both have a similar, albeit marginally inconvenient forearm onto barrel into receiver setup. The Benelli requires a little finagling to get the receiver portion of the barrel over the bolt where the bolt handle protrudes. You also have to keep the gun tilted up or you run the risk of the bolt sliding out. At home, not a big deal, in the field, big deal. Nothing major, just something to be aware of. The Browning slides together easily by just a slight tug back on the bolt to allow the barrel to drop into place. There's no concern about the barrel running away because it's securely in the receiver. 

4) Cleaning: Mechanically, they're pretty much identical. The bolts come apart in the same manner, but remember that inconvenient upper receiver half that was part of the barrel on the Benelli when we were assembling and disassembling the gun? Well it seems a little more well thought out here. Cleaning is a breeze. You're able to easily access the inside of the receiver and the bolt slides right out. With the Browning, you're confined to reaching in as best you can like most of us are accustomed too. Not the end of the world, but the Benelli blows it out of the water here.

Verdict: Benelli

5) Function: Both of the guns have about 50 rounds through them and seem to shoot point of aim. My A5 is chambered for 3 inch although it comes in 3.5 as well, where the SBE II is only chambered for 3.5. In the interest of fairness I didn't run exceptionally light loads through the SBE II or 3.5's I wanted to run both guns with the same cartridges. I didn't want to set either gun up to fail. Both guns have magazine cutoffs built into the function of their actions, both guns have also thus far run flawlessly, chewing up and spitting out whatever I've fed them. They were both fed a diet of assorted 1 1/8oz #6 field loads (some of which were upwards of 30 years old) duck loads and some Longbeard XR's in various magazine sequences to keep the recoil systems errrr, inertia and kinematic systems guessing. Safety is at the back of the trigger guard on both. The A5 has it's slide lock switch in front of the trigger on the bottom of the receiver. The SBE's is on the right side of the trigger guard, both are easy enough to access that I wouldn't nitpick between either. The Browning has the speed load feature, which is nice to have; especially on a gun where the bolt is held open on the last shot. Just slide one into the magazine tube and presto, it's in the chamber with the bolt slammed shut behind it, 2 more in and you're ready to rock without doing any. Except for that feature it's a dead draw as they seem to function the same.

6) Fit and finish: Both are really nice firearms and finished accordingly. The A5 is a hunter model, which means nice walnut and rich bluing as most of us expect. The Super Black Eagle II is black with a ComforTech. Contrary to the Benelli marketing I didn't notice the SBE II being a much softer shooter than the A5, but that again is something that's very subjective. The SBE II is also available with Walnut furniture, I've never seen on in the wild though. I have however seen Benelli's other wood furnished offerings, I've no doubt it would every bit as nice as the Browning.

Verdict: Draw

After 6 rounds, we go to the judge's scorecard and find a Majority Draw!

Overall:

The Browning won more categories, but I personally put more weight into the ones that it lost. So although I'd tell people that the A5 is every bit the gun that the Benelli is, in a little bit of a more complete package and at a lower street price. I don't think it does enough to knock the SBE II out of the enviable position of gold standard it's achieved over the years. Do you want a Ferrari, or a Shelby Cobra? They both get the same job done albeit in slightly different fashions. Shoulder both and see which one feels better to you, you really can't go wrong with either one.

* I'll post relevant updates as they become available

** I'm in no way, shape or form a professional. Just some guy with a couple guns he really likes and thought I'd share. Your mileage my vary.

SX3Mike

CrustyRusty

Nice review...is the A5 tapped for optics like the Benelli?  That is certaily a plus for turkey hunting.

Strick9

I watched two of the new A5s pop off end caps during duck season this year, hopefully they have fixed the issue.
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

Dr Juice

rkm456

Quote from: Strick9 on April 15, 2016, 09:55:52 PM
I watched two of the new A5s pop off end caps during duck season this year, hopefully they have fixed the issue.

I'm far too OCD for that to ever be a concern. I'm constantly re-checking my end caps and chokes.

rkm456

Quote from: SX3Mike on April 15, 2016, 10:28:33 AM
Good read.

Really thinking of picking up a A5 myself..

I'd recommend it to anyone. I ended up selling mine just because I found more often than not I found myself reaching for the Benelli when going afield. No fault of the Browning, except that I chose to purchase the wood stocked version and most of my fall hunting this year was in foul weather. I couldn't justify having 2 pricey guns in the cabinet knowing I really only used one of them. I've got a thing about not leaving a beast locked in a cage, so the A5 was off to it's new home.

One thing worth noting is that the A5's Invector DS chokes seem to be a little more scarce than Benelli Crio chokes. Not a deal breaker for most people just food for thought.

taylorjones20

"The Benelli requires a little finagling to get the receiver portion of the barrel over the bolt where the bolt handle protrudes."

You are supposed to remove the bolt handle before removing the barrel.  Then there is no finagling.  It just slides right off.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

rkm456

Quote from: taylorjones20 on April 26, 2016, 09:08:24 AM
"The Benelli requires a little finagling to get the receiver portion of the barrel over the bolt where the bolt handle protrudes."

You are supposed to remove the bolt handle before removing the barrel.  Then there is no finagling.  It just slides right off.

This is correct. I found even with the bolt handle out there's still some some finagling but it's definitely easier with the handle out.

I did replace the factory bolt handle with a more "tactical" one. I find it's a lot more ergonomic.