turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Longbeard XR Penetration Observation

Started by decoykrvr, February 24, 2014, 10:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

I was patterning several shotguns yesterday (70 degrees and breezy) and was shooting both Federal HW 10 gauge #7's and a few of the Winchester 12 gauge Longbeard XR, 3" #6 shot.  I hold my targets on the patterning board w/ 11/4" black metal file clips.  At a lazered 40 yards the Winchester lead 6's were putting a 1/32" dent in the clips.  The Federal HW 7's were punching through one side of the clip-through the cardboard backing of my target- and exiting the back side of the clip.  With that said, the patterns w/ the Winchester Longbeard XR #6 were phenominal and averaged 198 in 10" with a nice even dispersal of shot in 20".  I've got a substantial "stash" of the "old" EM Hevi13 7's, 6's and MagBlends and will be hunting w/ them for years to come, but with all the variability in the components, performance, and cost of the EM Hevi13 shells would advise folks to pattern and evaluate the new Winchester Longbeard XR offerings.  My hunch is that a load of Longbeard XR 6's in the chamber w/ 2 Longbeard XR 5's as backup's may be the ticket.  My only diconcerting observation on the XR's, and I only patterened them at 40 yards, was that the wads were all recovered approximately 18 yards from my shooting position which is indicative of an extremely tight close pattern.

klemsontigers7

Thanks for the info.  I wish the Longbeards were 1300 fps like the Heavyweights.  The #7 HW are about the same weight as the #6 LB but probably have about 90 more fps at 40 yds.

davisd9

Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 24, 2014, 10:44:56 AM
Thanks for the info.  I wish the Longbeards were 1300 fps like the Heavyweights.  The #7 HW are about the same weight as the #6 LB but probably have about 90 more fps at 40 yds.

The Fed HWs are 15 g/cc and lead is the 11 g/cc. They are no where close to the same weight. Those HWs are the barest factory loads on the market.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

klemsontigers7

Quote from: davisd9 on February 24, 2014, 11:08:55 AM
Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 24, 2014, 10:44:56 AM

The Fed HWs are 15 g/cc and lead is the 11 g/cc. They are no where close to the same weight. Those HWs are the barest factory loads on the market.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Actually, the weight of a #6 lead is almost identical to the weight of a #7 Fed HW, like I said above.  Do some research or calculate it yourself. 

davisd9

Whatever brother. Just trying to help you but believe what you will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

klemsontigers7

Quote from: davisd9 on February 24, 2014, 11:16:53 AM
Whatever brother. Just trying to help you but believe what you will.

Tell me then, what is the weight of 1 pellet of lead #6?
What is the weight of 1 pellet of Fed HW #7?

I'll do it for you:
.12910 grams and .130 grams...

davisd9

Like I said believe what you want, but does not make it right. That is all I am going to say.

Hope you kill a bunch with your beloved LBs!

klemsontigers7

Quote from: davisd9 on February 24, 2014, 11:20:23 AM
Like I said believe what you want, but does not make it right. That is all I am going to say.

Hope you kill a bunch with your beloved LBs!

I think you have weight and density confused....

davisd9

Whether it is weight or density the two do not compare. The HWs are going to penetrate and hit harder. The lead will have give against bone because of its softness where the HWs will not.

klemsontigers7

Oldgobbler even has a pellet count and pellet weight FAQ on pellet counts/weights.

klemsontigers7

Quote from: davisd9 on February 24, 2014, 11:27:06 AM
Whether it is weight or density the two do not compare. The HWs are going to penetrate and hit harder. The lead will have give against bone because of its softness where the HWs will not.

I didn't argue that. I stated pellet weight and you said I was wrong.

davisd9

Good for you and if that is what makes you laugh like that you have sad life. Chuckle all you want. I will laugh a good bit myself as I wait for harvest pictures from you.

klemsontigers7

Sorry to anyone who read this thread. OG has gotten to the point where posting indisputable facts (pellet weight) causes an argument.

CASH

OP, I'll take that last post means your thread is no longer high jacked.

Carry on
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.