turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 vs Remington 870

Started by EDP1, May 10, 2013, 10:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockhound

I've had em all and I will say I've never owned an 870 that would hang with the 835 at the pattern board, the first 835 I had would throw lead patterns that I would be called a liar on here about, but I just thought it was normal for the right combo. I was young and dumb and swapped the gun off and I would give $1000 for that gun back right now if I knew who had it. I am a fan of a tang safety. I still have my 935 and I have since moved to the 10 gauge world for the ability to load heavy payloads

surehuntsalot

I have shot Mossbergs all of my life,they are my shotguns,carried a 500 the 6 years that I was employed by Uncle Sam (Army).
not another gun that can beat the 835 at the pattern board that I have seen.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Spurcollecta

If it were all about the patterns I'd pick the 835 without a doubt. But it's not.. The 870 just feels so much better to me in my hands than the 835. I also love the shurshot stock and extended forearms of the 870. Throw a timney trigger on that bad boy, some type of sights and an Indian Creek choke, then you'll have perfect turkey slaying machine!  :you_rock:

USMC0331

You can't make a bad choice here. I have both but I use the 870 for turkey hunting. It shot and patterned better for me out of the two. I let new turkey hunters use my Mossberg in which case several have now bought their on Mossberg.

WildTigerTrout

I have owned both the 835 and the 870. I still have the 870. The 835 went down the road. It shot great patterns but was too light, seemed cheaply made and kicked too much for my taste. I would rather shoot my Browning 10Ga. BPS than that 835!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

ILIKEHEVI-13

The kick comes form the hard recoil pad that comses standard on the 835.  I changed both my recoil pads out on my 835 and 870.  I put a SIMS on the 835 and the better Remington pad forgot the name.  But now if I shoot a 3" turkey load in each I would say the 870 kicks harder.  The reason I say that it's lighter.  But all 3" or 3.5" turkey loads are going to kick.  There is no getting around that unless you shoot off of a lead sled. 

WW

I own both guns and there is no comparison on the quality, the patterns or the workmanship on these guns....The 870 is and will always be the baddest, toughest, and most dependable shotgun of them all. You can use it for a boat paddle and not clean it for 2 months and tha baby will fire everytime....The mossberg is a piece of junk....I've talked with many hunters and they all say the same.

870 is king

ccleroy

Chuck1443

835 , already drilled and tapped , tang safety , over sized bore

ohiostrutter

870 all the way the sm block chevy of the shotgun world they should give a bottle of asprin and a mouthpiece out with every 835 guns throw wicked patterns a good gun but will stay with my 870

WildSpur

I was always a die hard mossberg guy.  I now have a 870 supermag.  Best shotgun I own.

Now only if mossberg would have a slide as tight as a winchester with the quality of a remington....then I woke up!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

Hayman

I have both I would have to vote for Remington little more quality

goblr77

Remington's quality isn't what it used to be. Matter of fact, the fit and finish of the last 870 I bought was much worse than a Mossberg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: goblr77 on May 12, 2013, 09:44:10 PM
Remington's quality isn't what it used to be. Matter of fact, the fit and finish of the last 870 I bought was much worse than a Mossberg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Myles,

So is that a vote for the Moss 835?  We know which one shoots the best now don't we?   :icon_thumright:

Longshanks

Remington 870. Had several Mossbergs 12g's and a 20g. Back in the day when I was shooting lead. Shot the MAD choke and factory choke. Decent patterns with 3.5 lead but it would kick the dog piss out of you. Rattled like hell, enough to cause concern when moving on a turkey. Gunsmith told me there wasn't a quality peice of metal in the gun. They may have changed now as I haven't used one in allot of years. Ive been carrying around Remington 870's in the turkey woods for 33 years. No malfunctions, great patterns. Tested them under the worst conditions back in 80's duck hunting. This discussion is sorta like Ford vs Chevy. People swear by both. I just shoot what I feel most comfortable with..Rem 870. I have three and my son will probably be able to pass them on to his children. Durable as it gets..