OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi Shot Magnum Blend

Started by mossyoakpro, April 27, 2013, 08:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrowningGuy88

I don't shoot Magnum Blends, but I shoot HWT 6's & 7's, Hevi 6's & 7's and Nitro Blends in both 2x5x7 and 4x5x7.

If you can consistently place the core of your pattern on a gobblers head and neck I don't care which of them is in your gun that turkey is dead! I would like to try the 3.5" Mag Blends in my 935, but with a stock of Nitro's and Blue/Gold Fed's I probably won't.

Brad - I am surprised your 835 shot them poorly, but from what I have seen here if a gun won't shoot 6's it won't shoot Mag Blends. I know I shot one Mag Blend one Hevi 6 in my 20 and compared the two. At a taped 40 yards, the Blends went 129 and the 6's went 138.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Daman on April 29, 2013, 04:52:19 PM
I don't shoot Magnum Blends, but I shoot HWT 6's & 7's, Hevi 6's & 7's and Nitro Blends in both 2x5x7 and 4x5x7.

If you can consistently place the core of your pattern on a gobblers head and neck I don't care which of them is in your gun that turkey is dead! I would like to try the 3.5" Mag Blends in my 935, but with a stock of Nitro's and Blue/Gold Fed's I probably won't.

Brad - I am surprised your 835 shot them poorly, but from what I have seen here if a gun won't shoot 6's it won't shoot Mag Blends. I know I shot one Mag Blend one Hevi 6 in my 20 and compared the two. At a taped 40 yards, the Blends went 129 and the 6's went 138.

Well the 835 did get 190 out of the 3.5" magblend load from the Star Dot choke.  I was expecting better.  I did shoot a 3.5" Hevi-13 2.25oz #6 load from the 835 and Star Dot and got 180.  But I never said my gun wouldn't shoot 6's.  I have said it just don't shoot them nearly as dense at the 7's. 

I think it was last year I did get 243 shot out of the 835 with MAD Max .680 choke using a Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz # 6 load at a tape measured 40yds.  But I could not get near that on the 2nd shot.  So I do think the capability for the 835 to shoot 6's is there, I would just need to find the right choke.  But a lot of the outcome of the results I'm gonna guess is coming from the variance of the size of shot from load to load.  And that's even if it is the same lot #.  Now granted some lot #'s tend to shoot a lot better than others from shell to shell and are pretty consistent, but that's not saying all lot #'s will.  But I think it goes back to what rockhound was saying earlier.  But my bet is when Hevi-Shot loads these Hevi-13 loads on their ammunition lines that the shot just keeps getting mixed with the old stuff that is getting low.  So in time the mixture could be a lot different from week to week or month to month depending on who is actually making this shot. 

Dallen92

My gun loves 3.5 hevi 7s and will shoot over 300 everytime but so far this season I know of 7 birds total that have fallen to magblends and these were mostly with the 3 inch shells.  My gun will do over 200 with the magblends so honestly I dont think it will matter too much which shell I put in there when shooting a turkey at 40 or less.  I can say that the majority of the birds that I did see killed with mag blends did not even flinch after they were hit.  To me it comes down to whatever I pull out of my vest that day because I know that my gun will shoot it well if it is in my vest.  In my mind you cant go wrong with magblends if you get a decent pattern with all the power behind the shot the blend in sizes.

turkey buster

The higher velocity of those heavier shot is what makes the mag blends so popular. Its like shooting deer with a 243 win vs a 300 mag. I agree that witn a good dense pattern you are gonna kill a turkey under 40 regardless if its with the hs mb's or the hs 7's. Ford vs Chevy boys.  :lol:

HuntSource

Quote from: turkey buster on May 02, 2013, 09:45:25 AM
The higher velocity of those heavier shot is what makes the mag blends so popular. Its like shooting deer with a 243 win vs a 300 mag. I agree that witn a good dense pattern you are gonna kill a turkey under 40 regardless if its with the hs mb's or the hs 7's. Ford vs Chevy boys.  :lol:

The straight HS-13 loads were rated at 1090fps and the Mag Blends were 1200fps the last time I looked. Best case, it's a 110fps difference.

From my experience with my chrony, I've found the straight loads to be pretty close and the Mag Blends to be considerably slower than spec. Real world has been 50fps or so at the muzzle. IME, it's hardly a .243Win vs .300Win comparison.

On a different note, unless they've changed the formula this year, the Mag Blends aren't 1/3 each of #5, #6s, and #7s. I cut four shells of four lots a couple from 2011 and 2012. I found less than an ounce combined of #5s and #6s. Average was around 3/4oz.

turkey buster

Quote from: HuntSource on May 02, 2013, 11:13:20 AM
Quote from: turkey buster on May 02, 2013, 09:45:25 AM

The straight HS-13 loads were rated at 1090fps and the Mag Blends were 1200fps the last time I looked. Best case, it's a 110fps difference.

From my experience with my chrony, I've found the straight loads to be pretty close and the Mag Blends to be considerably slower than spec. Real world has been 50fps or so at the muzzle. IME, it's hardly a .243Win vs .300Win comparison.

On a different note, unless they've changed the formula this year, the Mag Blends aren't 1/3 each of #5, #6s, and #7s. I cut four shells of four lots a couple from 2011 and 2012. I found less than an ounce combined of #5s and #6s. Average was around 3/4oz.

K maybe a 243 vs 300 was an over estimate but it was just a point that they both do the job and one just a little harder.   :z-guntootsmiley: