turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

This Is Vaturkey's Fault - Haymaker Rem .670 Choke

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, March 28, 2013, 06:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

Thanks Ricky.  I am blaming you on this one.  I just had to buy it after talking to you about this choke and hearing about your killer patterns.  Local store had these for quite awhile.  But you magblend pattern made me buy it today. 

Thanks again buddy for your help. 

And I also bought a box of 3" and 3.5" magblends today form a local guy who had a pretty good price on them. 

nyhunter

Philippe

I have one for both my 870 12 & 20ga, they shoot sweet with lead, gonna try them with heavyweights this weekend and i they perform im getting one for the 835.

captin_hook

Who makes it? I know it's a down n dirty but it looks like a ic. Shoot er, can't wait to see what u put up.

gophert

Brad...I think you will like it. Indian Creek doesn't make junk.  I talked to IC at the convention about it and they said it was the real deal.  Its made to shoot those federal FCW but looks like I likes magblends too.  Can't wait to see some straight heck #7s out of it.

sent from Tim's Tweaked Out Evo LTE

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Philippe on March 28, 2013, 07:40:15 PM
I have one for both my 870 12 & 20ga, they shoot sweet with lead, gonna try them with heavyweights this weekend and i they perform im getting one for the 835.

The one for the 835 is .690.  So I can't see that open of a choke giving you better patterns than your Star Dot.  You might want to save your money.  But that's up to you.  Just passing that on.  Like I told the boys at Indian Creek from my findings in the BDS chokes I shot out of 4 chokes from .665, .655, .669, and .675, the .669 might as well say .670 was the ticket in my 28" barrel 870.  I even told the boys at Indian Creek that .670 may in fact be the ticket in a lot of barrels.  But I may be wrong.  I know a lot of guys that like the .665.  But there are a lot of guns that haven't tried the .670 BDS choke either.  Ricky has shot some tremendous patterns with his .670 Haymaker choke in his Benelli.   I know Ricky and I trust him and Gold Hunter.  They both witnessed one that is truly phenominal with his Haymaker .670 choke in his Benelli shooting Hevi-13 3.5" #7's.  But I will leave that up to Ricky if he wants to tell it.  I just know the Haymaker choke Ricky has for his Benelli, and saying it's a barn burner of a choke would be an understatement. 

vaturkey

Glad I could help you Brad ! Turkey hunters helping turkey hunters ! You're gonna like that Haymaker ! It IS the real deal ! Good luck with it.

Ricky   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

goblr77

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 28, 2013, 11:42:24 PM
Quote from: Philippe on March 28, 2013, 07:40:15 PM

The one for the 835 is .690.  So I can't see that open of a choke giving you better patterns than your Star Dot.  You might want to save your money.  But that's up to you.  Just passing that on.  Like I told the boys at Indian Creek from my findings in the BDS chokes I shot out of 4 chokes from .665, .655, .669, and .675, the .669 might as well say .670 was the ticket in my 28" barrel 870.  I even told the boys at Indian Creek that .670 may in fact be the ticket in a lot of barrels.  But I may be wrong.  I know a lot of guys that like the .665.  But there are a lot of guns that haven't tried the .670 BDS choke either.  Ricky has shot some tremendous patterns with his .670 Haymaker choke in his Benelli.   I know Ricky and I trust him and Gold Hunter.  They both witnessed one that is truly phenominal with his Haymaker .670 choke in his Benelli shooting Hevi-13 3.5" #7's.  But I will leave that up to Ricky if he wants to tell it.  I just know the Haymaker choke Ricky has for his Benelli, and saying it's a barn burner of a choke would be an understatement.

Brad, I'm assuming this choke doesn't have the steps (wad catchers) in it. I tried an IC .675 without the steps a couple years ago in .675 while experimenting with my Xtrema. I swapped out a .665 with the wad catchers that wouldn't pattern how I liked with 7s. The results are in the pics. I wanted to swap out again for a .670 without the steps but they didn't have one. I then ran across the Hevishot choke that the Xtrema really liked and never went back to IC. I believe they missed the boat not making chokes in .670. I'm like you, I believe a .670 is the ticket in a lot of guns.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Myles,

Those patterns you posted are a supreme example of what I am trying to tell folks who swear a .665 is the ticket in their gun when in fact a .670 or .675 would even shoot more denser 10" and 20" numbers.  And I don't know for sure, but I would believe in a lot of guns .670 or .675 would in fact out shoot chokes like .655 to .665.  Ricky's Benelli proved this in the .670 Haymaker choke, and that's from a .723 Benelli barrel even, who a lot of folks including choke manufacturers think they shoot better with .655 chokes.  Blows that theory to hell now don't it. 

Indian Creek can make you a .670 choke if you call them I would guess.  I found that .669 as maybe a fluke when I went there and they had it in the shelf up front.  Maybe it was a choke that someone cutout too much by mistake making the .665 chokes that they typically produce.  But that choke shot very well.  I shouldn't have sold it.  But I can tell you when the weather warms to 60 to 70 degrees that the MAD Super Max .675 without the wad stipper( just like the Haymaker) will just shoot phenominal patterns.  We shall see how this Haymaker will shoot when I get time.  But I wouldn't have bought this choke had I not believed it was gonna shoot with the best of the chokes currently on the market.  I already have a .670 Pure Gold, and it shoot very well.  I already know that this Haymaker choke shoots Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7's phenominally.  The question is how well it will shoot in my 870 barrel.   

Philippe

I took a shot yesterday with the rem sm 12ga and the haymaker using the federal 3-2-6 lead with flight control wads. Lets just say i was pressed with the results from a lead shell i thought was junk.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I have an .675 Indian Creek Non-Ported choke with No Wad Catchers in it, and it has never beaten my .665 Indian Creek Ported Choke With Wad Catchers, using any shell I've tried.

But every Barrel is different.  I think .670 would be a good one to try with HTL.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I myself don't think the wad stripper feature is much of any advantage whatsoever.  The Haymaker and the Mad Super Max choke to me proves this. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: captin_hook on March 28, 2013, 07:50:44 PM
Who makes it? I know it's a down n dirty but it looks like a ic. Shoot er, can't wait to see what u put up.

Indian Creek makes it. 

goblr77

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 29, 2013, 10:04:28 AM

Indian Creek can make you a .670 choke if you call them I would guess. 

They probably would but when I talked to them about returning the .665  the only choke they had in stock was the .675 without steps so I took it. I figured it had to be an improvement over the other one and it was. I really don't need a .670 now after stumbling upon the Hevishot brand choke.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I know I haven't shot this choke yet, but I wanted to mention that from the results that Ricky has got from his in the Benelli that I guess my thoughts on a ported choke typically out shooting a nonported choke is blown out of the water.