turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best pump turkey gun

Started by delta hunter, February 18, 2012, 01:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curtdawg88

I love my 870, but I hear good things about Mossy just haven't shot or hunted with one.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

WiLL B

The best pump gun made is a Rem 870 Wingmaster. The cheaper grade 870's or several other brands make excelent turkey guns.

chatterbox

I love my 835. It patterns great, and I don't find the recoil to bad with a Simms Limbsaver pad on it.
Now, I have never shot an 870, but there are so many guys on here that post up some awsome patterns out of them, that it boils down to personal preference, and what feels the best to you.

wingbonehntr

WildTigerTrout

Another vote for the Rem. 870 3.5" Super Mag.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

remmy1187

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: WiLL B on February 18, 2012, 06:55:14 PM
The best pump gun made is a Rem 870 Wingmaster.

I will happilly aquiesce to that statment.  Very smooth, virtually bullet proof guns, and in the magnum I would not look any further for a waterfowl gun either!   :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

cahaba

Most guns build today are reliable. They have to be to get a piece of the market. Consumers are alot smarter and have more info due in part to the internet.Some people like the Benelli Nova. I have a friend who has a Stoeger and he likes it. Most all of them will kill turkeys at 40 yds. plus. I would check out several. Get a feel for them. When you find the one that fits you you will know it.Also check out Winchester Arms.com and look at thier new pump.

sippy cup

beware of longdale legend

Mild Bill

I have two pump shotguns that I use for turkey hunting purposes.

one is a winchester 1300 matte finished with a 22" rifle sighted choke tubed barrel.

the other is one of the original 870 special purpose shotguns with a 26" vent ribbed barrel.

I like both of the above shotguns quite well for turkey hunting.

also have a 870 express 20 gauge with a 26" ventrib barrel that I am considering fooling around with to see what kinds of patterns I might be able to get from it.
You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them.

K9Doc

:deadhorse:Has no one ever shot or handled a Browning or Ithaca pump?  
They are heads and tails ahead when it comes to f the quality and design.rest.  Remington 870 is next.   Just feel the difference in raw materials.  

However, REM.870 has the market cornered on customization for Turkey Hunting.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

spurcollector

I like the Mossberg. It shoots great, comes with an adjustable trigger and is drilled and tapped for a scope or red dot which I like on my turkey gun.

paboxcall

Quote from: K9Doc on February 18, 2012, 09:06:24 PM
:deadhorse:Has no one ever shot or handled a Browning or Ithaca pump?  
They are heads and tails ahead when it comes to f the quality and design.rest.  Remington 870 is next.   Just feel the difference in raw materials.  

However, REM.870 has the market cornered on customization for Turkey Hunting.

I agree K9, I have an Ithaca 37.  Only shot it once, at a sporting clay range against a buddy who shoots sporting clays all the time.  It was my first time doing this and I smoked him and his fancy over/under. 

Imagine, I never got invited back.... :smiley-char092:

But my go-to for me is the Winchester 1300.  I like the balance, the weight, the way it cycles, and the way it points when I shoulder it. 
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Eric Gregg

flayer

:OGturkeyhead:  I own two each mossberg and the 870 supermag,hands down the 870 supermag will out do the mossberg.