News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your Input Please

Started by ghillie, January 06, 2012, 02:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghillie

Hey All,

I am thinking about getting a scatter gun set up just for turkey hunting.  Kinda tired of switching the waterfowl gun into a turkey getter every spring and am curious as to what you like/would get..

I like the auto loaders that are mid priced but would also consider a pump...any thoughs or ideas??

thanks in advance...

chatterbox

I'm a fan of pumps, and Mossbergs, so I'm partial to the 835's.
The Rem 870 is also a good choice.

gob09

i have a moss. 935 and love it so far for the money the pump gun is good too but they have really heavy recoil

reynolds243

what is "mid priced"

you can get a stoeger M2000 with a 24 and 28inch barrel as well as a field stock and pistol grip stock for around $500 new and under that used.

Saw a tri star at Academy yesterday with sights and a pistol grip stock for under $450. You can also still find 11-87's around the same price.

pumps i would go with an 870 or a super nova. 

bird

Steven Steven Steven...... Brother I will highly suggest a Rem870SM 23" barrel with a Pure Gold 670 and if you want a reliable inexpensive auto then I would recommend  24" Stoeger M3500.  Oh and if I'm driving.... No Mossbergs are allowed in my rig.

trkehunr93

I'm partial to Mossberg, especially the 835. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: ghillie on January 06, 2012, 02:55:43 AM
Hey All,

I am thinking about getting a scatter gun set up just for turkey hunting.  Kinda tired of switching the waterfowl gun into a turkey getter every spring and am curious as to what you like/would get..

I like the auto loaders that are mid priced but would also consider a pump...any thoughs or ideas??

thanks in advance...

There are lots and lots of choices of course, different manufacturers, types, barrel lengths, chokes and shotshells. The good news is that most are good. I'd recommend that you visit a store that handles a variety of brands and see what feels good to you. If you like the gun you're using for waterfowl, maybe the same brand, etc. just customized for turkeys.

I shoot most of the major brands of guns on a pretty regular basis at my range. I shoot pumps, self-loaders, SxSs, single shots and O/Us. I like them all. I have a preference, due to performance I've seen, for guns with 26" barrels. They seem to pattern better and don't have as much muzzle whip as shorter barreled guns.

The most important thing is to have confidence in what you shoot. That comes from spending some time at the range.

A few mid-priced recommendations might be a Remington 870, a Mossberg 835/935, the new Winchester SXP, a Remington 11-87 Sportsman, etc. but again, it boils down to what feels best to you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

cannonball

Look at a Mossberg 835 and a Remington 870. Buy the one that suits you better.

Lightnrod

Had the same problem. Ended up winning a Stoeger P-350 at local NWTF banquet and this solved my problem. Getting it outfitted with Mueller Quick Shot and some new TSS loads!

hookedspur

Quote from: bird on January 06, 2012, 11:28:44 AM
Steven Steven Steven...... Brother I will highly suggest a Rem870SM 23" barrel with a Pure Gold 670 and if you want a reliable inexpensive auto then I would recommend  24" Stoeger M3500.  Oh and if I'm driving.... No Mossbergs are allowed in my rig.

x1  :agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Reloader

It's hard to go wrong with an 870 or 1187 if one wants a mid priced pump or auto. 

DUCKDIGGLER

My picks would be....

Pumps:
BPS
distant 3rd 835

Auto's
Browning Gold, Silver or Maxus
Win Super X3
Benelli M1

ghillie

Well after shouldering many different guns...i have decided on the Stoeger 3500 in a 24"...going to add the steady grip when they come off the production line and also going to put the FF3 on it...for the price...I think it will be a great gobbler getter!!

bird

I think you have made a very wise decision my friend.

MAGGUNS

Shoul be an turkey slayer! Let us know.