OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Would Hevishot?

Started by shootumindaface, February 15, 2011, 09:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomstick

Quote from: S.C.C on February 16, 2011, 07:57:35 AM
Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on February 16, 2011, 06:51:38 AM
Instead of labeling their shells #7's, or #6's, they could try "Lethal to 50 Yards", and "Lethal to 60 Yards".  They'd probably sell even more shells that way. :TooFunny:

more like LUCKY at 50 and really really LUCKY at 60 yrds!!!!! :o

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
"Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun" Ash from army of darkness

bird

Heck I don't care as long as they SMASH a turkey's head like a MACK TRUCK!!!   :fud:   :newmascot:

I'll still shoot em!  :smiley-char092:

bird

drum817

Quote from: bird on February 16, 2011, 09:23:53 AM
Heck I don't care as long as they SMASH a turkey's head like a MACK TRUCK!!! 

I'll still shoot em! 

bird

What he said.... :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

goblr77

Heck I don't care as long as they SMASH a turkey's head like a MACK TRUCK!!!   :fud:   :newmascot:

bird

Yep.

VAHUNTER

bird

thats what i'm saying  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

whats with Bash Hevi13 anyways???  if you dont like them dont buy them. that will be more shells available for the ones that use them  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Good things come to those who wait

bird

I think I will be set for a while.  These are all hunting loads!

sugarray

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 16, 2011, 10:47:02 AM

bird

thats what i'm saying  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

whats with Bash Hevi13 anyways???  if you dont like them dont buy them. that will be more shells available for the ones that use them  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

I know, man who cares if there is smaller shot.  Last year was the proving grounds for me.  The #6 and #7 loads are devastating to turkey heads out to 50, 60, 70 yds.  I shoot TSS, but if for some reason I switched, I'd shoot 3.5", 2 1/4 oz, #6.  My pattern numbers would come down, but my killing effectiveness would not.

Reloader

Yes, they would still rule the HTL market.

EM uses better wads and better buffer than their competitors.  If HS was perfectly round, it would still outperform the other available HTL offerings simply because they use better components. They also offer heavier payloads than the competition.

I have taken Hevi Shot and spent time to pick out shot until I had consistent pellets.  It takes a while to do BTW. They shot very similar numbers as just scooping the shot from the bag.  The reason? There is enough larger pellets to set off the smaller, resulting in a similar number of pellets per load.  

H13 is the worst IMO as far as a micture of pellet sizes.  When I buy HS in bulk, the pellets are much more consistent.  I have only purchased one lot that had terrible variation in sizes, but the variation was for larger shot and snowmen type pellets. The lot had mostly round pellets, hardly any small pellets, but a bunch of large and irregular pellets.  Since then, most lots have been pretty good with most of the shot being the same size, few small pellets, and few irregular pellets.

This has not been the case on the H13s I have dissected, and I've dissected 100s of h13s.  They tend to have a large amount of large pellets and irregular pellets, but even then not many small pellets.  When they have a mixture, its usually larger and irregular pellets based on my experience dissecting so many. Some lots were good, some terrible.

I feel this is the main reason why you can purchase h13 and have a similar number of hits for a few boxes, then have lower counts for a few boxes.

I feel it's best to at least check your pattern for a given lot.  Most shells dissected from the same lot have been consistent for that given lot IME.  Most of the time when you are at the store you can just find several boxes of the same lot.  Most of the time when you order shells, they are of the same lot IME.

I suggest those of you that shoot factory ammo in CF rifles or pistols to buy from the same lots when you can as well.

Hope this helps,

Reloader

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gobble!

Instead of labeling their shells #7's, or #6's, they could try "Lethal to 50 Yards", and "Lethal to 60 Yards".  They'd probably sell even more shells that way. :TooFunny:

no way. with the patterns these shells put up theres no doubt in my mind I can smoke a bird at 50 every time. I have not patterened my gun at 60 though but Im confident the pattern would still be there

ILIKEHEVI-13

I just added another box last week.  I'm still probably not done since I like to test. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

redleg06

Dear Old Gobbler members,

Yes, please stop using those shells immediately....

Best Regards,

All the turkey Ive slayed with them over the last few years

VAHUNTER

yea there all junk!!! just send them to me. i will start disposing of them one at a time the first of April  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Good things come to those who wait

Basser69

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 16, 2011, 08:55:32 PM
I just added another box last week.  I'm still probably not done since I like to test. 

Hoarding is not nice! Send me some of those and that way all will be better :z-paddy-smiley113:

S.C.C

Quote from: Gobble! on February 16, 2011, 08:24:47 PM

no way. with the patterns these shells put up theres no doubt in my mind I can smoke a bird at 50 every time. I have not patterened my gun at 60 though but Im confident the pattern would still be there
Just trying help keep all the back orders down this year!! :icon_thumright: