turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many of you guys shooting 3 1/2?

Started by thuber, January 08, 2017, 08:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Not going to lie about it. Shotguns for turkeys is relatively new to me. Most birds were still killed well within shotgun range. Aside from that, the old H&R Excel Auto I had (3" chamber) shot the old Remington Hevi 13's the best and they were a lighter load than any of their new turkey offerings. They 2 turkeys that I shot with it weren't arguing its effectiveness. When I carried the sx2 I used the 3.5" magblends and those two birds never cared much either. Shot a few with an old NEF single shot 10 ga years back and there were no options for that. Last year, after patterning the gun with the 3.5" LB's, I ended up switching to 3" TSS with much better patterns so I'm sticking with the 3" for now. Plan to run the 20 ga LB's and Hevi 7's with the smaller guns though. Can't wait.

thuber

Quote from: wvmntnhick on January 09, 2017, 06:58:09 PM
Not going to lie about it. Shotguns for turkeys is relatively new to me. Most birds were still killed well within shotgun range. Aside from that, the old H&R Excel Auto I had (3" chamber) shot the old Remington Hevi 13's the best and they were a lighter load than any of their new turkey offerings. They 2 turkeys that I shot with it weren't arguing its effectiveness. When I carried the sx2 I used the 3.5" magblends and those two birds never cared much either. Shot a few with an old NEF single shot 10 ga years back and there were no options for that. Last year, after patterning the gun with the 3.5" LB's, I ended up switching to 3" TSS with much better patterns so I'm sticking with the 3" for now. Plan to run the 20 ga LB's and Hevi 7's with the smaller guns though. Can't wait.
Let me know how it goes with the 20ga. The older I get the less things I want to tote in the woods. The weight of a 20 is very appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

I carried mine a couple times last year but was unsuccessful on all fronts so can't say for certain. My niece carried it on youth day and didn't complain one bit. She even missed one that I called into spitting distance twice but such is life. I plan to hunt WV, MD, and VA this spring so I'm hoping to get at least one with the 20 and may even try the 410 in VA but I gotta check the regs on that one first. My buddy swears the farm he's got over there is a slam dunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

3" is plenty for turkeys.  That said, my 835 doesn't pattern 3" well so I shoot 3.5" out of it.  Magblends have served me well, as have Hevi 6's.
I'm mostly a 20 gauge guy now tho, but the 835 gets out a time or two each year still.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: wvmntnhick on January 09, 2017, 06:58:09 PM
Helping my son pattern his 870 20 g. youth really opened up my eyes . I never thought a 20g. would pattern that good. It really has changed my way of thinking I use to be 3 1/2 inch shells and 12 g. all the way. Then I fell in love with my 12g. 3in.Encore/Nikon setup...light weight,effective,kicks but never feel it when I'm knocking a gobblers noggin. If I was starting from scratch i wouldn't be afraid at all of the 20s effectiveness.

paboxcall

Used to, don't anymore.  I only shot 3" HTL though my single is chambered for 3.5" Needless punishment in my opinion.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

allaboutshooting

I've read this thread with a good bit of interest in the comments from those who choose to shoot 3.5" shells. It's so good that there can be this kind of discussion on a subject that I've seen become heated. It just proves once again that the OG family is a very good one capable of discussing an issue without rancor. Way to go!

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

longislandloco

Quote from: allaboutshooting on January 10, 2017, 02:45:04 PM
I've read this thread with a good bit of interest in the comments from those who choose to shoot 3.5" shells. It's so good that there can be this kind of discussion on a subject that I've seen become heated. It just proves once again that the OG family is a very good one capable of discussing an issue without rancor. Way to go!

Thanks,
Clark

I must agree, one of the most friendly bunch of guys of all the hunting related sites I have ever been part off.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

jed clampett

835....3.5 in longbeard 5's and 3.5 in magblends....great patterns