only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking for my first trumpet?

Started by jordanz7935, January 02, 2015, 06:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

land cruiser

Joe Slaton a.k.a TRKYHTR on this board.

davisd9

Just remember you get what you pay for. Not knocking lower priced calls but they are usually for a little more advanced player because of the learning curve. You want a call that is easy to use. You get one from a well known call maker and it should be easy to sell it for what you got in it. I would recommend a Buice or MKW. Easy to play and easy for resell.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

blackfalcon

A lot of guys wanting to hunt with a trumpet started out with a Jordan call, I think they are a little more forgiving for a beginner, and usually a bit less expensive. I would check out Mark Sharpe as well as some the others mentioned.  If you have friends that hunt with them that will let you try some out, or shows nearby that helps too. A trumpet is a deadly call in the right hands, they take some practice to become proficient with and most call makers can coach you in their use.

KPcalls

My advice would be call the trumpet maker and have him play his calls for you before you order one.

North of 8

My advise,
Buy a Mero and be done with it. Not expensive and I know you will love it.

worth612000

Quote from: North of 8 on January 25, 2015, 08:44:53 PM
My advise,
Buy a Mero and be done with it. Not expensive and I know you will love it.

X-2   My first trumpet was one of his African black woods , they are priced so any hunter can afford one. They sound pure turkey, His awards prove this, and unlike others who won awards, I don't think He even raised his price. He even sent a cd to help in learning. He offers 2 styles, original shape he makes and his version of a turpin style.

larry9988

Don't buy the cheapest, don't buy the most expensive. Buy from one of the reputable trumpet makers and you should be OK. Next you need to practice, practice , practice. I have seen guys that could call with a coffee straw better than others on a $300 trumpet. If you handed me a perfectly tuned violin I could not play it. Hand it to the right person and they can make beautiful music with it. The difference can be talent but more likely it would be the hours and hours of practice. There are many trumpets in the $75-$150 range that will be all you will need to call turkeys. Buy one and play it for awhile and then if you do not like it you can always sell it or trade it off, but I believe if you practice with it, you will like playing a trumpet and you will love the results you will get from it in the woods.

Crawdad

Quote from: larry9988 on February 11, 2015, 10:49:53 AM
Don't buy the cheapest, don't buy the most expensive. Buy from one of the reputable trumpet makers and you should be OK. Next you need to practice, practice , practice. I have seen guys that could call with a coffee straw better than others on a $300 trumpet. If you handed me a perfectly tuned violin I could not play it. Hand it to the right person and they can make beautiful music with it. The difference can be talent but more likely it would be the hours and hours of practice. There are many trumpets in the $75-$150 range that will be all you will need to call turkeys. Buy one and play it for awhile and then if you do not like it you can always sell it or trade it off, but I believe if you practice with it, you will like playing a trumpet and you will love the results you will get from it in the woods.
Could not have said it better.

ElkTurkMan

Britton40

I learned on a $20 cane yelper made by Roger Mann.

larry9988

Yes Cox trumpets are nice but he said he wanted to use one this season and it may be hard to get a Cox that soon.

hunter22

I have trumpets from most of the callmakers out there. When I go to Mississippi next month the two suction calls I will carry will be my MKW striped Ebony and a cane yelper made by Mark Sharpe. Neither of those are high dollar calls but will sure run with the best of them. 

M Sharpe

Mike Williams! Matt McClain makes a fine one too!!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

drum817

Quote from: hunter22 on February 11, 2015, 09:45:01 PM
I have trumpets from most of the callmakers out there. When I go to Mississippi next month the two suction calls I will carry will be my MKW striped Ebony and a cane yelper made by Mark Sharpe. Neither of those are high dollar calls but will sure run with the best of them.

^^^^THIS^^^^

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

M Sharpe

Quote from: hunter22 on February 11, 2015, 09:45:01 PM

Rickey, that's the same thing I will be carrying!!   I better check my collection...... ;D ;D
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!