OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pot call finishes

Started by Spur806, January 28, 2015, 07:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spur806

Hey guys, I'm sure it's been on here before, but finishing pot calls? I was using a water based acrylic that has been discontinued, so I need to go to something else, I don't like using ca glue on pots, ideas? I've never used tung oil or anything, and I would like something that dries fairly quickly, thanks

mastevt

I use Polyacrylic, by minwax.  Maybe similar to what you were using?  Just bought a quart last week.

Spur806

How fast is it drying? My other stuff I could do 5 or six good coats and polish within an hour? Or if you don't mind, what is your finishing process with it and I'll give it a try, I've got around thirty calls I need to get done so I need to get going lol, thanks Matt

mastevt

It dont dry that fast!  I usually prep my pots down to 220, spray a coat on, after it dries, sand with 400, spray another coat, final sand with 600, spray final coat.  If I spray a coat in the morning, its usually ready to sand in the afternoon.  But I usually let it stand a day between coats. 

Spur806

I see, ha, guess I've been spoiled

mastevt

I'm not an expert on finish's, and this product was recommended to me by another call builder, and a mentor of mine.  I really like the clean up with water.  Cleaning the spray gun is a snap.  My only complaint on this process, is, after the last coat, the finish does take several days to really harden up.  Gluing up too soon, and putting a weight on it will mare the finish.  Good thing tho is you can sand it lightly with 2000 and polish it out. 

Spur806

thanks, I found another acrylic thismorning that seams to be doing ok, I apply everything on the lathe, and I can polish it as well why it's still on there, it's general finishes 450, I can do about 6 coats in 40 minutes and then polish in thirty. Comes out nice.

pappy

I use several different types I love Australian Shellawax, applies easily on the lathe, I also use Tung Oil and then cover it with Mylands friction polish.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Spur806

How long do you let your oil sit, and how many coats of oil?