OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cutting back on TSS

Started by mtns2hunt, March 26, 2020, 06:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

I have read several posts on loading 12g with 2 oz of TSS #9. I have heard very llittle about down loading TSS.

I am shooting a 20g and the patterns with federal #9 1 1/2 oz have been very good as have my handloaded #9's of 1 5/8's. The patterns from both loads are so tight that I had to put a scope on my shotgun. I am thinking that a  1oz load would be interesting. Has anyone or is anyone loading 1oz of TSS. I know it would be very effective to 30 - 40 yards but how does it pattern a bit farther. Would you recommend it? Just looking into feedback before I try such a load this summer.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Spurs Up

I think there are several 1 to 1.25 oz 12 ga hand loads used by waterfowl hunters. My favorite for turkey hunting is a 12 ga 1-5/8 oz load of #9. I also use a 1.5 oz load. Both have greater velocity than any similar payload you'll find in a 20  or 28 ga, less relative pressure, a shorter shot string, and are easier to pattern (more consistent and less gappy). It's the reason I still take my big bore to the woods.

Gooserbat

I have a smoker of a 1 7/8 oz load.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Dtrkyman

I saw some impressive patterns from a 1oz 20ga load.

I shoot 1 5/8th and have a recipe for 1 3/8th but not really a big enough difference, I would love to have the data for that 1oz or an 1 1/4 load.

I think 1 5/8 oz is the most shot I would want to throw down range, waste of a bunch of good shot!

Spitten and drummen

I went to 2 ounce 20 gauge loads lol. Overkill , most likely but I only shoot turkeys with it. I never really shoot 5 or 6 shells a season anyway. I would imagine that those lighter loads would do great and would really be soft on the shoulder and just as devestating as the heavy ones.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

crow

I dropped the shot charge of a 2 3/4" 20ga 1 5/8oz load down to 1 oz of TSS #9 with no buffer.

I shoot it in the right barrel of a CZ bobwhite with a Carlson ext. .575 choke
it shoots in the low mid 150's in the 10" at 40yds, which gets you to a good 10" out to 50yds for range miscalculation.

dropping the shot charge to 1 oz brought the POI to POA in this SXS aiming with the beads, heavier charges of TSS or Fed HVWT made the right barrel shoot to the right and the left barrel shoot left.

as I dropped this 1 5/8ths load down in increments, a load of 1 7/16thsoz.  shot a tighter center core 10" in the left barrel with a Truloc .571 than it did with the original 1 5/8 oz load, of course the 1 7/16ths has less in the 20"

chipper

I've been loading a nice little 1.25 oz load for a 10 year old a couple years and a 1 3/8 oz load for my 24 year old daughter for 4 years and both still shoot awesome to further than you should be shooting, I still shoot a 1 5/8 oz load in the 20 and the 12.

Southernson13

I'd be much more interested to see 1.5 oz load of 7's

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Southernson13 on March 27, 2020, 09:20:46 PM
I'd be much more interested to see 1.5 oz load of 7's

Curious to knoe why you would like a 1.5 oz in sevens? I have shot federals in 7's  and they do okay but Federal 1.5 in 9's are better in my opinion. 7's would be better for the occasional Coyote that comes through but I load #4 in 1 5/8oz for them which is much better than 7's.

My original concept for reducing the amount of TSS was because the patterns are so good that they apper to be over kill. Just looking to see if anyone else has followed this line of thought. It does appear that some have.

Gooserbat

In the beginning of the TSS extravaganza the magic number was 250/10"at 40 yards.  Then as with anything else that involves manly men if Bigger, Faster, Stronger is doable then we done it.  Soon we saw 300/10" then 350/10" even 400/10" .

Now let's back to the 250/10" and remember this is a 40 yard number.  Then use the equation of .7X 250 the per ten yards (or use what ever your real world 40 yard number is). Anyway multiply 250X.7 and you get 175/10" at 50 yards. Then multiply 175X.7 and you get 122/10" at 60 yards.  Then multiply 122X.7 and you have 85 at 70 yards.  So somewhere around 66 yards by way of mathematics you get the standard of the old standby for minimum pattern density of 100/10". 

And yes the .7X equation does hold pretty much true.  As with anything there's some variation but its in the general ballpark.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 29, 2020, 10:36:38 AM
In the beginning of the TSS extravaganza the magic number was 250/10"at 40 yards.  Then as with anything else that involves manly men if Bigger, Faster, Stronger is doable then we done it.  Soon we saw 300/10" then 350/10" even 400/10" .

Now let's back to the 250/10" and remember this is a 40 yard number.  Then use the equation of .7X 250 the per ten yards (or use what ever your real world 40 yard number is). Anyway multiply 250X.7 and you get 175/10" at 50 yards. Then multiply 175X.7 and you get 122/10" at 60 yards.  Then multiply 122X.7 and you have 85 at 70 yards.  So somewhere around 66 yards by way of mathematics you get the standard of the old standby for minimum pattern density of 100/10". 

And yes the .7X equation does hold pretty much true.  As with anything there's some variation but its in the general ballpark.

I never knew what the magic number was back in the day. I'm relatively new at reloading TSS and certainly no expert. I like your formula and it is interesting to play with but I personally do not pellet count but go with more of a visual determination. I think that TSS is an awesome patterning material and its terminal performance extraordinary. So if there are 362 pellets in an oz of 18g/cc is it unreasonable to expect a relatively dense pattern at 40 yards from a 1 oz load? I was thinking it might be possible as some lead #5 loads only have about 300 pellets and I have in the past had more fliers from lead. Anyway, I'm just playing with the possibilities at the moment. With Turkey season just around the corner I should be practicing my calling. However after the season I will put together a one once load and get the chrono out to see what gives. Appreciate your input. 

Goblen

When your building loads do you use a shot trap? This is the one I built. It works very good too.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

mtns2hunt

No, I have not built a shot trap yet. Not that I don't want to I just have not had the time. I like the way you have built on a trailer. I haul my bench around on my trailer. Certanly a cost saver!

Goblen

Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 29, 2020, 05:48:41 PM
No, I have not built a shot trap yet. Not that I don't want to I just have not had the time. I like the way you have built on a trailer. I haul my bench around on my trailer. Certanly a cost saver!
I just load it up and strap it down on there. The trailer makes it easy. Throw the bench on there too. Hook it up to the golf cart. Just back the trailer up, unhook, then shoot.

mtns2hunt

What material do you use? I was thinking a sheet of metal and two squates of carpet.