turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hearing Protection

Started by LaLongbeard, February 23, 2019, 03:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzman2

I use Howard Leight Sports. My hearing is not as good as it should be and my right ear is weaker than my left. The ear phones definitely let me hear direction since they have 4 microphones. It is more difficult to tell distance, but can usually just take them off and hope to hear the gobble again to get a better feel for it. Those single gobbles can be tricky.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

These MSA earmuffs have a volume control the higher the volume the more background noise and loss of directional hearing. When I've turned them all the way down to the lowest setting it's basically normal hearing and sounds are no problem to course. Everything I've read about the hearing enhancers pretty much confirm that the higher volume causes directional problems. I don't plan on wearing these when walking or trying to locate a gobbler, but put them on when I'm set up on a bird. The main reason for the use is hearing protection while still being able  to hear subtle noises that let you know were the gobbler is when close.
Once your hearing is damaged the only option would be some kind of hearing aid that has to be worn all the time which is what I'm trying to avoid. I've hunted with older folks that had trouble hearing a Gobbler that was clear to me. I would hate to know how many gobblers answer and they walk away never knowing.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?